Notices

A labs tale

Old 04-24-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That feeling of loss is pretty normal--it will pass
Meditation is an excellent support.
Posting when you crave also really helps.

Have a great sober day labgirl!
Old 04-24-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Hawkeye. I appreciate your post

I'm leaving work and headed home. I'll check in once I'm home

again thank you all for the support.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I felt very strange & disoriented in the early days of getting sober. I think it's normal. It's been a way of life for so long - there's an adjustment. It will all be worth it - you're doing great, labgirl.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hope you are having a good sober evening labgirl
Old 04-25-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hevyn and hawk thank you for responding. I failed. On the way home I spoke with my SO and he was drinking. I knew it was already in the house so I stopped got some and went home to drink it. Why? I'm so overwhelmed and feel there's no support for anything at home. I just am at the end of my rope I just don't want to be conscious at home. I know this is an excuse and I just need to get a grip. I'm trying or at least think I am. Who knows. Thanks for letting me whine. Back to day 1.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

labgirl,

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. That cycle of stopping/starting/stopping is so very difficult, isn't it?

I remember those days well, drinking to fill up the absence of my SO, even when he was right there in the same room. Apologies if you've already been over this, but is there a way you can separate from him for a time? I wish I'd done that but that seemed too drastic. It would have been for the best in the long run. So I know that's probably a really big deal for you as well, but so is quitting drinking. That old saying about putting your oxygen mask before doing anything else is so true. Sober is your new oxygen.

Short of separating, could you maybe do something on the way home to keep you out of danger's way? Go to the gym in the evening instead of in the morning, maybe? I dunno... just trying to think what would help me if I were in your shoes.

I'm quite certain you're trying, or you wouldn't be here to talk about it. Don't doubt your own intentions - you do know what you want. And you deserve it, too.

O
Old 04-25-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree with Obladi. You're here because you haven't given up on a better life for yourself. You can do it, labgirl.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure its helpful to say you failed.

If there's no support at home what about posting here instead?

Many people have found that doing that kept them sober or looking at something meeting and people based like AA or SMART Recovery or Lifering?

Don't fall for the addict line that you feel sad and the only solution to sadness is drinking.

No one doubts your sadness or your pain but drinkings is just not a solution - it fixes nothing.

D
Old 04-26-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
labgirl,

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. That cycle of stopping/starting/stopping is so very difficult, isn't it?

I remember those days well, drinking to fill up the absence of my SO, even when he was right there in the same room. Apologies if you've already been over this, but is there a way you can separate from him for a time? I wish I'd done that but that seemed too drastic. It would have been for the best in the long run. So I know that's probably a really big deal for you as well, but so is quitting drinking. That old saying about putting your oxygen mask before doing anything else is so true. Sober is your new oxygen.

Short of separating, could you maybe do something on the way home to keep you out of danger's way? Go to the gym in the evening instead of in the morning, maybe? I dunno... just trying to think what would help me if I were in your shoes.

I'm quite certain you're trying, or you wouldn't be here to talk about it. Don't doubt your own intentions - you do know what you want. And you deserve it, too.

O
Hi Obladi. Thanks. I agree I need to change my routine and distract myself rather than live in the situation. Separating isn't feasible right now. I just have to put on my oxygen mask.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I agree with Obladi. You're here because you haven't given up on a better life for yourself. You can do it, labgirl.
Thank you Hevyn
Old 04-26-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not sure its helpful to say you failed.

If there's no support at home what about posting here instead?

Many people have found that doing that kept them sober or looking at something meeting and people based like AA or SMART Recovery or Lifering?

Don't fall for the addict line that you feel sad and the only solution to sadness is drinking.

No one doubts your sadness or your pain but drinkings is just not a solution - it fixes nothing.

D
thanks Dee. I'm struggling with posting. I generally internalize things rather than discuss them. I think that's a big part of my problem too. When I try to communicate I feel like I'm wrong with my ideas or perceptions of situations. I'll keep trying. Thanks for your insight.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am a very "internal" person too, but this list is great as people have been where you are, won't judge you, and give you honest and helpful feedback.

You didn't fail, you just haven't succeeded yet
Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I am a very "internal" person too, but this list is great as people have been where you are, won't judge you, and give you honest and helpful feedback.

You didn't fail, you just haven't succeeded yet
thanks Hawkeye. It's nice to know I'm not alone in that struggle. I do have a fear of being judged. That part makes me want to hide this and just appear normal. Doesn't and hasn't worked.

I'm on the way home. Planning to visit my mom and cut the grass.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you, labgirl.