SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Felt gittery and a bit knarky (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437876-felt-gittery-bit-knarky.html)

Mummyto2 04-17-2019 02:05 AM

Felt gittery and a bit knarky

I know its the AV and i know it will come and go, but its so horrible, putting this as before i never really posted when i felt like this i just reached for the demon drink, i wont drink today, one day at a time please god

Dandelion12 04-17-2019 02:16 AM

Thing to remember is your AV is telling you a drink will make you feel better. Youre remembering the times it did- briefly.

The days of a nice one or two hour respite are GONE.

For us, we have crossed the invisible line. We go directly to HELL.

Your AV will try to convince you to do more "research". It will tell you maybe this time it will be different.

Try to remember all the times drinking led you to a terrible place.

Dont believe the lies that alcohol will take your distress away and make it all better.

All lies.

You can breathe and let this pass

Mummyto2 04-17-2019 02:18 AM

yes straight back to hell

Obladi 04-17-2019 03:28 AM

I hope you're sleeping now, Mummy.

But if you're not,
- take a bath
- organize a drawer (or several)
- play one of those solo games on your phone
- clean a cupboard

Anything physical that involves some brain activity helps.

This will pass - it always does. Fighting it makes it take longer. Rolling with it/breathing helps it to fade away.

Dee74 04-17-2019 03:28 AM

Hope you feel a little better now Mummyto2

D

Mummyto2 04-17-2019 04:02 AM

I did that HALT thing and ate something and feel more relaxed now thanks

SnazzyDresser 04-17-2019 04:25 AM

I don't think I've ever heard the word knarky before, that's a weird one. Gittery I sorta halfway recognize despite being seeming fairly strange to me as well. Probably non-American type words, that's my theory.

Yeah, you don't have to drink when those stray thoughts appear in your mind, thoughts come and go and most are often nothing really, dime a dozen. Say to yourself "there's a silly idea" etc.

Obladi 04-17-2019 04:26 AM

Awesome.
I just realized I got the time backwards.
Have a great afternoon. :)

lessgravity 04-17-2019 06:06 AM

The technique of urge surfing worked wonders for me in the early days. That and reflecting on where I had been in like that I no longer wanted to return to. Stay strong.

DriGuy 04-17-2019 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser (Post 7166468)
I don't think I've ever heard the word knarky before, that's a weird one. Gittery I sorta halfway recognize despite being seeming fairly strange to me as well. Probably non-American type words, that's my theory.

I found it in the dictionary, usually spelled narky, and as you might guess, it has the same meaning as snarky.

Robbie64 04-17-2019 06:17 AM

edit: just seen DriGuy's post above re: narky. It's a British word though I've not heard it used for years. I'm assuming for gittery Mummyto2 means jittery?

Mummyto2 04-17-2019 06:32 AM

Definition of narky. British. : marked by ill temper and irritability a great deal of narky petulance — Listener.
spelt both wrong

Snowydelrico 04-17-2019 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 (Post 7166582)
Definition of narky. British. : marked by ill temper and irritability a great deal of narky petulance — Listener.
spelt both wrong

I think you’ll find it’s English . Sorry to be a pedant.
:lmao

Anna 04-17-2019 07:16 AM

Mummy, yes, the AV is a pain and sometimes it seems like it never gives up. But, you're doing great dealing with this. :)

Mummyto2 04-17-2019 07:18 AM

Thank you

Lucy79 04-17-2019 12:35 PM

Great job, Mummy. I need to we’ve HALT and posting here. I unfortunately gave into my demons AV the other day. I can’t give up. I have too much to lose. Definitely going to look upnurge surfing as well. Thanks for posting. It reminds me of what I need to be doing to beat this.

Mummyto2 04-17-2019 01:54 PM

Lucy draw a line in the sand and start again, you can do this