Notices

Day 1 - kind of

Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 - kind of

Hi all

firstly thank you everyone for sharing their stories and encouraging words they really help.

for the past two years I have gone down the slippery slope. It started just having a few drinks at the weekend to having a 35cl bottle of spirits every Friday night. This gradually went to every few days then to every other day for 6 months which In turn lead to every night at 10pm for the last 3/4 months. I would literally drink this down and go to bed just so I could sleep.

Saturday was different and instead of sleeping I faced the reason for my drinking and grieved. It was like a trigger or realising this needs to stop.

I was at the point of having 1 drink and needing to finish the bottle.

Sunday I faced the day with a new sense of hope. It got to 10pm and I had one medium glass of wine while watching tv and decided i was not going to go down that slope anymore. So although I had a drink I was proud that I managed to stop myself pouring any more and just had the one. This gave me the belief I can do this.

although I was cold last night and it took me a while to get to sleep when I did I slept peacefully

today, while out with friends who ordered cocktails I proudly had a non alcoholic drink

Ive not really had any withdrawal symptoms yet bar my head feeling “heavy” at times. I’ve been monitoring my BP and pulse and while my BP has been slightly raised it’s not been off the scale, my pulse is normal. My temp is slightly raised for me but it’s not a temperature.

im back at work tomorrow and looking forward to waking up without the headache. I am worried about Withdrawl though as I have been unable to get into the doctors yet.

I’m drinking plenty of water but just wonders if anyone has any advice while I await an appointment?

thanks
Old 04-15-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not everyone experiences intense withdrawal symptoms. If they haven't hit you, and you honestly have not had a sip of alcohol, you may be one of the lucky ones. Just keep hydrating and stay sober. Once you have a sip of alcohol, the withdrawal process will have to start all over again.

I was like you, couldn't sleep without drinking. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I was a lot worse off than you, but this isn't a contest lol. My first few nights sober were the worst....no sleep, drenched in sweat, shaking....but after a few days in hell, I was fine.

Keep it up.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you

so yesterday was my first day without a single sip of alcohol. Didn’t crave it, didn’t even think about It.

Affects so far

trouble sleeping, as much as I lay with my eyes closed my mind just kept racing till gone 3am with all sorts of thoughts that made no sense. Finally dropped off until my alarm woke me at 7am

Couple of twitches/muscle spasm while trying to sleep (4 or 5 in total)

elevated BP that returned to normal (I’m on BP tablets anyway to control this)

I managed to get up this morning for work on time without an headache which is great news for me. Still haven’t been able to get into the doctors which is a slight concern but if symptoms get bad can go A&E

today i have had no issues so far and feeling very positive though nights are definitely worse for me.’

Just wondered from experience when most people’s symptoms peaked?

Thanks