Notices

21 days

Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days

21 days no drink.. I am a binge drinker.. don’t drink everyday but when I do , I seem to make up for it... last session started out ok.. told my wife and myself only a few beers then I’ll be home.... didn’t happen.. about 10 beers in I thought it would be good to have a few whiskey’s.. WRONG.. only good thing that happened was I didn’t drive.. called sister sent me an Uber .,hurting next day at work so I went and got a “ hair of the dog that bit me”..1/2 pint of jack Daniels..did the job temporarily .. hurting the next 2 days.. that’s when I said I can’t do this any more..oh yeah, I was hiding drinking from everyone.. nips became my go to choice., small and quick...
Old 04-15-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What you write sounds like a cautionary tale to yourself, and it ought to be. Most people don't drink that much on a regular basis, and if you are an alcoholic it adds up to worse behaviors over time. Hiding drinking is not normal, either. So, if you think that you should quit drinking, 21 days is a good start under your belt.

If you have the desire to drink again, and you will, what do you plan to do about those feelings? If you have good stretches of time without the booze, can you extend those activities to fill the spaces that will come when you want to pick up a drink? Recovering from an alcoholic mindset requires attention, too, to those things that tell us it would be a good idea to consume.

Welcome to SR, it's a place where all types of drinkers come to get information, feedback, and support. One or more of the moderators and/or forum leaders will no doubt drop in to say hello. It's good to have you here.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevinofd View Post
21 days no drink.. I am a binge drinker.. don’t drink everyday but when I do , I seem to make up for it... last session started out ok.. told my wife and myself only a few beers then I’ll be home.... didn’t happen.. about 10 beers in I thought it would be good to have a few whiskey’s.. WRONG.. only good thing that happened was I didn’t drive.. called sister sent me an Uber .,hurting next day at work so I went and got a “ hair of the dog that bit me”..1/2 pint of jack Daniels..did the job temporarily .. hurting the next 2 days.. that’s when I said I can’t do this any more..oh yeah, I was hiding drinking from everyone.. nips became my go to choice., small and quick...
A friend of mine once asked me, why don't you just have one beer? I laughed who drinks one beer? I don't even like the taste of beer let alone drink one. Next thing you know, I'm in 10 beers and hours later start to come down and how have a few shots of hard stuff to get back on track. What I was trying to do was, "Feel better," change my mood with a quick fix or mood changer of booze. It took my 4.5 decades to realize that I was not really trying to chase a good feeling but escape feelings of helpless and being trapped regarding specific circumstance in life that I felt were overwhelming. I wasn't chasing a feeling, I was escaping my feelings. Eventually, a hangover and "Shame," could keep a person drinking for days or weeks! The antidote was to, "reverse engineer my feelings," and replace the quick fix or mood changer of booze, with something else that is of high value to me. The hard part is understanding the cause of my drinking and finding something healthy and of high value that empowers me, helps me escape the trap of my feeling helpless and out of control. No one gets addicted to a substance unless it does something for them. People change when they hurt enough and have to or when they learn enough and want to.

Galatians 5:22-23 "the fruit (values) of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control."

When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Guener View Post
What you write sounds like a cautionary tale to yourself, and it ought to be. Most people don't drink that much on a regular basis, and if you are an alcoholic it adds up to worse behaviors over time. Hiding drinking is not normal, either. So, if you think that you should quit drinking, 21 days is a good start under your belt.

If you have the desire to drink again, and you will, what do you plan to do about those feelings? If you have good stretches of time without the booze, can you extend those activities to fill the spaces that will come when you want to pick up a drink? Recovering from an alcoholic mindset requires attention, too, to those things that tell us it would be a good idea to consume.

Welcome to SR, it's a place where all types of drinkers come to get information, feedback, and support. One or more of the moderators and/or forum leaders will no doubt drop in to say hello. It's good to have you here.

yes its it’s one of my longer stretches of not drinking... 1st drink was in 5th grade about 10-11 yrs old.. never stopped...was a normal thing in my neighborhood... grew up in Boston ... never drugged liked the beers.., to this day I don’t know how I made it this far with some of the dumb things I have done... have a good job , great wife and kids...I feel with all the friends that I have lost , why am I still kicking around... god must have a reason..I hope....,, gonna shoot for another day no DRINK.. thanks...
Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

CRRHCC I love your posts.

Ive copied quite a few along with other words of wisdom Ive found here for quick reference should I find myself having a weak momemt.

Thank you
Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

21 days is fantastic. The worst is behind you. Now you just have to use shear willpower and avoid the cravings. Stay busy and you'll succeed.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on three weeks sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR and congrats on 3 weeks Kevin

D