Notices

Day Two

Old 04-14-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Two

I'm on day two and I must admit it's hard. I have huge levels of anxiety and in general struggling to function.
I tried to exercise today but couldn't, my body is a mess due to not looking after myself.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome boxguy
I think it's ok to be gentle with yourself for a few days - detoxing is not much fun.

step by step is a good way to go for a while

D
Old 04-14-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You don't have to dive into intense workouts. Try just a walk in the fresh air. Little at a time. Add a bit each day. But, the first few days of detox can be hellish. Best to try and rest. Hydrate. Eat healthy. Stay with us here. Share your thoughts and how you are feeling. You are not alone.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Baby steps Boxguy.
Your intentions are great but maybe your body just needs some r&r first. I'm on day 8 and barely have the energy for a walk but I'm okay with that. We'll get there. Be kind to yourself.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you don't already exercise regularly, then you may want to wait until your body is ready. Ridding your body of alcohol is hard enough. I do think that exercise is important going forward though. Congrats on Day 2!
Old 04-14-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

I found I had to give in to my body when detoxing. If exercise made me feel some kinda way, I didn’t force it. If I craved ice cream or coffee with cream and sugar, I went for it. My body was working hard to detox and I didn’t want anything to mess that up.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first week can be rough. Go easy on yourself. A little walking can prepare you for more intense exercise later. Go slowly, you're healing.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SO glad you are here! Everyone said what I'd tell you too - focusing on today, then day 3 when it comes, and so on, is the critical thing to do. The rest can come with time.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
I found I had to give in to my body when detoxing. If exercise made me feel some kinda way, I didn’t force it. If I craved ice cream or coffee with cream and sugar, I went for it. My body was working hard to detox and I didn’t want anything to mess that up.
This. Ice cream was heavily involved in my detox. I've almost cut it out of my diet now.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips. I will try and go for a walk later today
Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 2!! Day two was a rough one for me...I slept and slept a lot the first week. As some one else already said, listen to your body it knows what you need.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boxguy View Post
I'm on day two and I must admit it's hard. I have huge levels of anxiety and in general struggling to function.
I tried to exercise today but couldn't, my body is a mess due to not looking after myself.
Congrats, the first 3 days are the worst, I'm back on day 1 and it's hellish, tomorrow and the day after am looking forward to the anxiety peak period. Usually, for me, on day 4, the darkness tends to lift, and I start feeling a little like myself again. Day 6 and on wards, for me, it's lifted. Just need to struggle with the cravings.

Stay in there, it's the only way to get through this nightmare.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

2 days is wonderful, boxguy - we promise things will ease up & you'll feel better.
Be proud of yourself for making this huge change in your life.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Caprice

D
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome back Caprice

D
Thanks Dee, in the course of the years, I've been through between 100-200 withdrawal periods (including in patient week hospitalization). Most withdrawals I have done sober, but these days I am getting help, it's no fun.
Today, on my Day 2, I couldn't handle it anymore. The tremors were at an ultimate high, from head to toe, including impaired speech and chattering teeth, not to mention the irritability, agitation, anxiety, strained eyes, double vision, sweats, hot and cold flashes, unable to think or talk straight, insomnia, nightmares, rapid heat rate, restlessness etc.
I had to call my doctor and checked myself into day detox to seek medical assistance. I need to go back tomorrow. I feel more relieved and calmer as a result.
I've been consistently relapsing lately despite therapy, attending SMART group therapy and regular visits with my mental health doctor.
Went to a group job interview having drank cuz no way could I do it in withdrawal. I think it went bad, I felt annoying, hyperish, paranoid people knew, didn't answer questions as adequately or assertively as I would have had I been to my sober. I talked too much, fidgeted and sometimes made not much sense giving the worst examples. I would think the only reason I may not make the cut is not due to experience and skill, but rather having been just plain unlikable.
I didn't care at all yesterday nor today, until I went for treatment, and now am calmer having some relief, I am filled with regret most likely having messed up the whole interview.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still hope the interview works out for you, but in any case, yeah sounds like you have every reason to stay sober

D