Notices

Adult child of alcoholic first time posting

Old 04-13-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adult child of alcoholic first time posting

Hi everybody. I'm 34 years old and I come from a dysfunctional family. My father is an alcoholic and has been for as long as I remember. I have a younger brother that was mentally and verbally abused by our father throughout his childhood and because of that he spent a couple of years battling a crack addiction. My mother has never abused substantances or had any addictions but she, her mother and siblings, were physically abused by her father their whole young lives. And so she grew to have her own dysfunction and it affected me greatly!! I think I've been more negatively affected by her behaviour than by my fathers. I am a broken and damaged soul. I have no idea who I am. I'm here because I'm lost. I'm hoping I can find love and support here and gain the strength I need to get the right help. I have a 3 year old son and an amazing relationship of 13 years with his father. But still, I'm struggling. Thank you for accepting me and thank you for taking time to read this. I'm nervous about having conversations but looking forward to it at the same time. Thanks again
Old 04-13-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You will find lots of support here. We even have a 'friends and family' section of forums you might find useful. Again, welcome!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's difficult to deal with deep-rooted abuse and I'm glad you're here and ready to begin the journey. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi BabyT - I'm so glad you found us & decided to post.

I'm sorry for all that you've been through. Some people never acknowledge their difficult childhood & don't seek help. It's good that you are open to discussing it. I hope it helps to know that others care - maybe it will ease some of your anxiety.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!! You are not alone. I can totally relate to your post—father is still an alcoholic. Lots of information and support on this site. Much love to you from one ACOA to another.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

T,

I was beat up by my drunk and drugged Dad a few times. He tells me now he is amazed that I survived. Thanks Dad.

I found help here for sure and I am confident you will too.

Good that you didn't end up a drunk as well. I unknowingly got addicted at a young age and nearly destroyed my life several times.

We will have no more of that.

Keep reading and posting.

Thanks.