Notices

Day 7 - Alc. Hepatitis

Old 04-13-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good food IS expensive. I believe its what saved me because Ive always eaten organic, non GMO, hormone free food and its more expensive than the junk until you factor in the savings on illness

i look at it as an investment in myself and my quality of life.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You should be very proud of yourself, CG.
Keep on truckin', buddy.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes, Ive been told (Doctor) to cut out refined carbs which means bread, pasta, pastry and stuff like that, and the usual advice about veg. and fruit.

To be honest - for a long time food is just something I eat because I have to, and the easier the better. And if I cant be bothered I just get a bowl of porridge and water (I dont like milk) - usually with a big splurge of sugar straight out the bag.

So now I go to supermarket and I dont know how much anything should cost, so I dont know if Im paying too much or getting a deal. No idea really. Living like an animal for too long I guess.

Its funny because I do know how to cook, just not cooked for a LONG time.

Had this girlfriend once, wonderful girl and a truly genuinely nice person, she was a trained chef. I used to go to this restaurant maybe once or twice a week, ended up going out together. And drink killed that. As usual. She knew when to stop. I didn't. I had a good glass of (usually) vodka when I got up, she didnt.
I would go missing at the weekend, you know how it goes. Regrets of the alcoholic.....

Anyway.... Dandelion - Im going to enjoy making my dinner tonight. Watch a movie.

Cheers everyone.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just stay sober today. The "one day at a time" thing is really a good way to handle getting sober.

After awhile those days really start to add up, and life gets better. And the human body has a pretty amazing ability to recover from the abuse we heap on it.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There are lots of cooking classes available - sometimes through the up-scale grocery stores, or at community colleges.

I just try to keep it basic. Protein and a vegetable with every meal and/or snack. I have to watch my eating tendencies or I'll go up in weight and I want to be a healthy weight so I made it my mission to buy lots of vegetables and learn different ways to use them alongside my fish, chicken, turkey, shrimp, pork and beef. It's fun to look up new recipes and just make them at home, too.

allrecipes.com is a good site. It has one feature where you can type in whatever you have on hand and it will suggest a recipe. Kind of fun.

Maybe one day someone will speak fondly of your cooking skills.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just checking in - Day 8 complete.

Sunday morning and how nice to wak and have a clear head.. and its a clear blue sky with a sun also. SO - I open windows in apartment and its nice to feel that breeze. Beginning to feel alive again..

Must go out for walk soon. I go make myself some healthy breakfast first, and sit by the open windows to feel the air.

Have a great day!
Old 04-14-2019, 01:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sounds like a beautiful start to a Sunday morning CG.

My sister was killed on 9/11 at the WTC. She was 31.

We so often take a breeze or a beautiful sunrise for granted.

Have a wonderful day and count your blessings!
Old 04-14-2019, 01:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am so sorry of your sister, Dandelion.

I have no family much. One brother I have not seen for many years. I don't even know if he is alive - we 'fell out' long time ago. But we were never close. Different countries, different lives, different everything really.

And I am still adding 6 things every night to the 'grateful list' on my wall. Someone here said I should do this (snitch) - and it is a small reminder to me that there is so many good things in my life, it is so easy when you are sitting on your own in an apartment to focus on negative stuff.

Later today I go to an 'AA' meeting - I am going to see what it is like. I think it is probably not for me BUT I shall go along to see. I know it 'suits' some people but from what I hear and read I think it's not really for me. But I shall wait until Ive been and seen for myself.

Have a nice Sunday.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Lots of love here. And great to hear about the beautiful morning. It is still cold here in Belgium.

Net net is that it is great that you are listening to your doctor. Like others have said, I also had a friend who didnt and died. I also have a friend who was the prettiest of us all at 20 and at 60 is almost unrecgonizable (sp?) from wine -- literally.

The liver is an amazing organ -- it can and will cure if you stop now. BUT, I aslo know folks like August who did not heed the warning right away and within a short period of time it was too late. Like months, not years. She was lucky, all are not.

The thing for me was something Dee says, which is that "abstinence is not control". Once I truly accepted that I could never have a sip, I was done. Not easy always, but done. I can feel from your posts that you are there. Stay there.

You can do this.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I started eating a sort of modified keto diet about a month ago. Heavy in fat and protein, very low carb. Though I missed the carbs initially, I honestly have no craving for them anymore. The processed variety literally turn me down now. It is expensive to eat this way, for sure, but I did the calculations - looked at my spending on booze vs good food and it appears that I am spending only moderately more on the food. It's definitely worth the way I feel physically, not to mention the weight loss.

I encourage you to go into AA with a completely open mind. It's a unique program with its own rituals, behaviors, and axioms. That can be kind of off-putting, but if you bring the perspective of being there to find out how people found success and how that might serve you, I promise you will learn some things that are valuable. Most definitely, read the first 164 pages of the Alcoholics Anonymous book. This will give you an understanding of the core of the program. (You can read it online, but I would recommend getting the paper copy and marking it up.)

One thing that really strikes me about those first pages is there are a whole lot of statements to the effect of, "We're not telling you what to think; we're just telling you what worked for us." A lot of AA people I've encountered seem to gloss over that part... And I'll leave it there to let you form your own impression.

Can't wait to hear about your day. I love seeing you rolling along!

O
Old 04-14-2019, 04:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The gratitude list is something I also did every day. It makes a difference. I should probably do that again too.

I'm glad you're finding the benefit(s) in sobriety. It will get a lot better, too.

I also have no family so this forum is really helpful to me to feel connected. I went to AA meetings for the first few months of sobriety, they are interesting. Good common sense stuff for the most part.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great day planned CG - and I hope you won't pre-judge AA to be "not for you." Learn about what it is, not what you think, then decide after a legit try; I'd say this about any program, including stuff I've learned about so I can better understand, and just don't agree with like calling my alcoholism any "battle" handle like the Beast.

Also, I have to chime in on good food and expense.
It really doesn't have to be expensive- perhaps you can look up the "dirty dozen" list of fruits and vegs- I generally use it as a guide to what I really should buy organic and what not to spend that money on.
I focus and make meals for us based on what I call "eating colors" - it made sense to me the first time I heard it, because if you do, you aren't eating that all white, usually processed diet and you're getting a variety of nutrients. To clarify what I mean by expensive, we can eat on about $100 once a wk, and then my supplemental trips to the store of $20-30 a couple times a week. My husband eats a lot and I splurge on sparkling water (a lot) and Kuerig so factor that in. That also includes paper products we have to have like toilet paper

Remember, not drinking is THE most important part. Yeah, I too ate sporadically and poorly most of the time when drinking- plus I wasn't retaining any of the good stuff! Eating 2x a day was my initial goal. Then the healthy part could enter and continue. BTW, sugar is my thing and I've had an up and down relationship- that's a story for a bit down the road IMO.

Keep those plans you have made for the day and keep sticking with us for sure! Proud of you.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi - I am checking in again. its 21:34 Sunday evening.

Went for a walk in a near park - quite nice, birch trees. Birds on pools, sat and watched people go by, then came back, slept again!

Also went to first AA meeting. honestly? - I'm sure people mean well but I really dont fit this thing. I kind of sit at back and watch but at the end they all holding hands and saying a prayer - I refuse to do this. Also a lot of ' must do this, mustnt do that... ' . I don't need this to get sober - it's really NOT me.
Maybe it helps some people, but Im not that sort.

Didnt say much to anyone and was glad to get away at the end to be honest.

Anyway, I made a simple greek salad (Feta, olives,onion, tomato, cucumber, etc.) and eating it now. So that's healthy (hope my liver appreciates it!)

Going to add another 6 things to my gratitude list, it's really not hard to do that, then have a bath.

And that's me done for the weekend I guess. Feeling positive to be honest.

Hope everyone pulled through the weekend okay!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I dont believe in a "one size fits all" approach to anything in life.

I take what I find works for me from a variety of different teachings and philosphies.

Im not a meeting person myself, but Ive found SR to be more informative and beneficial than any meeting Ive ever been to

Take what you need and leave the rest, as long as its working to keep you sane, sober and healthy.

And good job on the salad

Have a great evening CG
Old 04-14-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

CG, just continue to do what works for you. That's what's important. And, I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I agree, CG. You're doing great. Find your own path.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oopps sorry tried to edit my post *blush*
Old 04-14-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dandelion12 View Post
Sounds like a beautiful start to a Sunday morning CG.

My sister was killed on 9/11 at the WTC. She was 31.

We so often take a breeze or a beautiful sunrise for granted.

Have a wonderful day and count your blessings!
Dandelion, I am so sorry for your loss. Will never forget that day.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you. I still feel her with me everyday
Old 04-14-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

CG, keep going. You are doing great! If AA doesn’t work for you, find something that does. Even just coming here checking in everyday. I went to therapy weekly for the first year. I’m a little over two years and I still practice yoga, meditation, healthy eating, exercise, daily gratitude. All of these are parts of my program. I didn’t go to AA for different reasons. But I did and do continue to practice the 12 steps. There are many ways to get and stay sober. No matter how long I’m sober, I will keep practicing my program. Sobriety and gratitude is like my religion and I practice it everyday.

It is great that you are eating healthy. Healthy living and well being is your best insurance policy against illness.