Notices

First AA Meeting EVER

Old 03-31-2019, 12:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile First AA Meeting EVER

Last night I went to my first AA meeting!

It was an all women's meeting and everyone was so welcoming, I couldn't believe how many different kinds of people were there.

What I loved was that there was no judgement from anyone even telling their most private moments, the positivity in the room (and the faith that I would be ok!) and the HUGS!!! I felt like a prized, worthy human being that people actually cared about.

I got my Day 1 chip and felt proud. It reinforced my belief that I want and can not drink, that I can do this.

I am aching to go back. A little nervous about the bigger meetings, but I will take a step at a time.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds great NicLin

D
Old 03-31-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning, NicLin.

You sure were the most important person in the room. I am so happy and proud for you. I'm attending a meeting with my son this morning. He's picking up his 30 day chip. We picked him up from a 30-day treatment program this past Thursday. His daughter is going with us. You are both miracles, and thank you so much for sharing this morning. You've made my day!
Old 03-31-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's awesome Nic! Glad you went- that takes courage- and are going back. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-31-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That’s amazing! Great job NicLin!
Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was scared to go to my first meeting, and couldn't wait to get back to my second. It is a very unique atmosphere where understanding and support replaces the blank stares and judgment that pervades society at large. For the first time, you are in a whole room full of people that get it.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Big move

well done
Old 03-31-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Excellent! Good for you for going you should be proud of yourself. It could be the way to a new start, and way, of life.
So happy for you.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that your first meeting went well.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thank you for going to that meeting! It works if you work it!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Absolutely awesome !! Well done and I love your willingness! I am sober 11 months with AA and it keeps getting better and better. Keep going, you won't regret it!!!
Old 03-31-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by NicLin View Post
Last night I went to my first AA meeting!

What I loved was that there was no judgement from anyone even telling their most private moments,
Hi NicLin. I am glad you had a positive experience at your first AA meeting. If I could offer a little advice for if and when you share with the group.

Keep it general until you have found your feet and got to know the people in the group. This is from the big book, which says "our stories disclose in a general way..." The reason is that it can be unwise to disclose too much. Some things are not for general consumption and are better kept for a more confidential setting. Discretion is wise.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds awesome!
Old 03-31-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

After my first AA meeting I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The fellowship of AA was a big help in me getting sober.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so happy to hear this good news, NicLin. Love your positive & determined attitude.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I have been immersing myself in the work in different ways. I stay in touch with a few of the girls and continue to read/listen to inspiring mindfulness books and podcasts.
I am going to another meeting tomorrow and am actually super excited! I am even having dinner with the girls afterwards, so it is really nice to have another fun thing to look forward to after the meeting.
The receptiveness is so refreshing.

And yes, I will keep things general, look around for a sponsor who is living the sober life I esteem to have, and read the Big Book (which my friend is buying for me tomorrow).

I feel so lucky and that all has been happening in the right place and time for me. I truly believe in the Universal Plan (The Universe removes to replace).

Good night!
Old 04-01-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post

Keep it general until you have found your feet and got to know the people in the group. This is from the big book, which says "our stories disclose in a general way..." The reason is that it can be unwise to disclose too much. Some things are not for general consumption and are better kept for a more confidential setting. Discretion is wise.
Gottalife shares something important and very wise.

I took it slowly as far as my first share, and didn't get a sponsor right away as I was fortunately told right away to "look for the people who have what I want." So I listened for the folks who shared the ESH (Experience, strength and hope - what it was like, what happened to get us willing to stop, and what we have found in recovery) that helped me see the kind of beautiful life that could be mine.

When I did get my first sponsor, I began to learn what kind of shares were better for a group - or for our private conversations. Sometimes I still reign myself in when the need to vent and perhaps blab on unhelpfully pops up.

There is so much to absorb if you really get into the program. Going to meetings is the important first step and not stressing over the (weird) lingo, the stuff you don't "get" and the personalities (different than the program) you will certainly hear speak.

When are you going back?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience! I love my women's meetings, and they are the only meetings I go to anymore. At the beginning I went to several meetings a week, but I really loved the women's meeting the best.

We don't use the big book at that meeting (although I have read it, and the 12x12, several times). We use a book called "A Woman's Way Through the 12 Steps" by Stephanie Covington. I highly recommend it as a supplement to your big book. It re-works the 12 steps from a woman's perspective, and it's more "modern" than the big book. I love it. I need to get a new copy soon because mine is tattered.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wonderful! I’m so happy for you.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Glad to hear you had a positive experience! I love my women's meetings, and they are the only meetings I go to anymore. At the beginning I went to several meetings a week, but I really loved the women's meeting the best.

We don't use the big book at that meeting (although I have read it, and the 12x12, several times). We use a book called "A Woman's Way Through the 12 Steps" by Stephanie Covington. I highly recommend it as a supplement to your big book. It re-works the 12 steps from a woman's perspective, and it's more "modern" than the big book. I love it. I need to get a new copy soon because mine is tattered.
I haven't heard of this (the book you use, not women's meetings), but the premise is interesting to me.