Notices

I don’t know what to do

Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ait

I don’t know what to do

Hi, I’m so tired of this. I think I am an alcoholic.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us. If you want to stop drinking, you will find lots of support here. I know that being an active alcoholic is exhausting. I think you will find that stopping drinking will bring peace to your life.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We understand--we've been there / are there too.

Knowing you aren't alone helps. Welcome ait
Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know I am.

Welcome! How can we help?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ait

Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
I know I am.

Welcome! How can we help?
Thank you. Honestly I have no idea.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's a start. If you're drinking right now, stop. Pour out whatever alcohol you have in your house.

Drink a lot of water and get something to eat, grilled cheese is always good.

Go to bed sober tonight.

Keep reading and posting here, it will help.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drinking all the time is so draining. You never have to feel like that again AIT. Being sober is the essence of simplicity and peace and quiet. You won't know what to do with all of your time. It's great. Lots and lots of support awaits you here on SR.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ait

I don’t drink every day, but when I do, it’s impossible for me to stop. I always think that I can handle it, but sometimes I get blackouts and do and say stupid things. Last time it happened was yesterday, before that about 4 months ago. I feel so ashamed and angry at myself.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ait View Post
I don’t drink every day, but when I do, it’s impossible for me to stop. I always think that I can handle it, but sometimes I get blackouts and do and say stupid things. Last time it happened was yesterday, before that about 4 months ago. I feel so ashamed and angry at myself.
Welcome Ait. Most of us have done things we regret when we are drinking, and it doesn't really matter if you drink every day or not. If drinking is a problem it's a problem, no matter how much or how often.

As was mentioned earlier...try not to complicate things too much. If drinking is the problem, quitting drinking is the solution. Or at least it's the best way to get started. Blackouts and all the associated problems with them are 100% preventable if you never pick up a drink to begin with. "thinking you can handle it" is a lie your addiction tells you...you will never be able to handle it if you are an alcoholic like the rest of us.

You will find a lot of support and understanding here on SR, and there are plenty of recovery groups and other resources likely in your own home town. But the first step is to quit drinking and get rid of any alcohol you might have around.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got myself into all kinds of problems when I drank. Blackouts can be really dangerous in a lot of ways so I hope you decide that drinking is something you are ready to put behind you. I didn't do embarrassing things I needed to be ashamed of every time I drank, but when I did do something awful, it was always when I was drinking - and even though I didn't always drink to excess it was often enough and becoming more frequent. It won't get better, only worse. That is the nature of alcohol and the trajectory of the lives of people who like it too much.

It's so much better not having to live with regret and fear.

I hope you join us and give up the drink.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ait

Thank you all, i am reading threads here and I feel better now. I’m 35 and i have started drinking 20 years ago. That was normal in my family and I always thought that moderation works. Obviously I need new Plans.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Im just a few days away from a drink also. I came here because I was desperate too. Ive had such a lot of support and encouragement.

I didn't like the word alcoholic, I had an idea of what an alcoholic was and I didn't like the word. Im on day 6 now. I am definately an alcoholic. Once I start its difficult to stop, and Ive been drinking most of my life too. If I picked up now I would be back to that crazy place in no time at all.

Yes - when I have drink I get into crazy situations, I lie, I do stupid stuff. When I came here 6 days ago (Saturday) I admit it took some courage to post, but it was the best thing Ive done. I thought I was going insane because of my behaviour. Then someone said they did this too when they drank, and someone else. And I begin to realise that this embarrasing behaviour that made me so ashamed was part of Alcoholism.

I'm an alcoholic. I can say that with conviction and Im not ashamed. I never asked for this.

- Stay logged in and keep posting, there is so much experience here, and knoeledge.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi ait - I'm so glad you joined us. We're a friendly, encouraging group & we understand what you're going through.

At 35 I still had many years of untreated alcoholism ahead of me. I ended up doing things I swore I never would allow. One of them was driving while drinking. If we're out of control after a few drinks - bad things are sure to happen. I caused chaos in my life before I admitted I couldn't tempt fate any longer. You can do this!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by ait View Post
I was the same, not drunk all the time, just lost control periodically. Only for me the periods between drinks were less.

It is self evident that stopping drinking is the answer. I thought of that myself a long time before I sought any help. I stopped many times, but could not stay stopped.

If you are getting four months between benders, then it is going to be relatively easy to stop - for four months. What will happen after that point may depend on what you have done to treat your alcoholism. I once tried therapy and hospitalisation and got nearly 6 months (10 weeks in the hospital), but I still could not stay stopped.

I always reached a point just before picking up where I forgot why I should not drink and convinced myself that this time would be different. It was the onset of this type of insane thinking that I needed to get a defense against. In the end,and just before the real end for me, I went to AA and found a solution. Actually, to put it that way is a bit of an understatement. What I found was a really satisfying way of life and a complete end to the alcoholic misery I had been suffering.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ait

4 months between blackouts, but still drinking every weekend. This weekend maybe the first one that I don’t drink in a long time. Like I said my family drink my boyfriend drinks everyone I know drink so I never thought I have a problem till blackouts
Old 04-11-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ait

You can definitely make this weekend a sober one - we're here to help - read around and post as much a you want to

D
Old 04-12-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

well, you are in the right place. Welcome. This forum helped straighten out my life (sometimes even beyond the alcoholism). I suggest read a lot, post a lot, and ask questions. Someone will always be here to help you.