Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

‘Staying Sober this weekend together’-Weekender Thread 12 - 15 April 2019

Notices

‘Staying Sober this weekend together’-Weekender Thread 12 - 15 April 2019

Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

It is so nice to read all this posts on a Sunday morning (it is 11:16 here, not been awake so long!!!! ) - Bit I have Day 8 completed, and I am sleeping so much.

But how nice to wake up with a clear head and open the windows in my living room to a blue sky and the sun is out. It's not so warm but its just nice !

And also it is nice to have this 'weekend thread'. I shall go for a walk in maybe an hour, I got through Saturday. I am still turning my phone off each eveneing because I dont want to get calls from drinking people.

Particularly one - she has been really unpleasent on text and calls but I understand that she just wants her drinking buddy, that's all. and he is getting sober and she don't like that!

My interest in food is coming back - I cooked myself a steak last night ( rubbing garlic into it each time i turned it in the pan), and dry fried tomatoes, corgettes and mushrooms. Watched a movie, listened to some music and slept. Keeping the mind from telling me I should be out-there in the bars on Saturday.

Reading through the postings here this morning. Its so nice to see other people pulling through the weekend. Last weekend I was detoxing and felt terrible. So its the first clear weekend for me.

And I see people talking about stopping smoking. I never smoked, so I cant stay much here. But I think it's much like a normal person not understanding my drinking - they never will understand me, or people like us. And I will never understand why they are happy with just a drink or two.

Today I am also going to try an AA meeting much later. I am prepared to see what it is like. Maybe is not for me because I dont like some of the things I hear about it but I will try and see, and make my own decision about it.

Thanks everyone hear and enjoy the day.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Mags.

Thank you.

Maybe you are right...I just don't want to engage into conversation...
Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I don't know all about your relation with him MB but I understand perfectly well how you feel.
I was the one burning my best energies with friends in bars on Friday nights and offered only a hangovered version of me to my girlfriend on Saturdays and that, week after week.
Yes : she's an ex, no surprise!
I lost her because of my egoist alcoholic patterns.

Happy to be sober today, I'm a very different man now.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Coala.

You literally took words out of my mouth -"hangovered version".

That's what I am not going to tolerate.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I remember the days of getting the small 1 glass bottles of wine and a big bottle (and a secret bottle) so I could drink the little one on the way home from the supermarket! Avoid that wine isle like the plague pinky!! x

Hope you feels better soon mags x

Sunday is bread baking day, going to do a malted granary loaf. Also going to make a batch of oat, coconut and chopped hazelnut biscuits and try not to eat them while they are still warm haha!
Old 04-14-2019, 02:23 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Congrats on 11 months Willow!! You’re rocking this sobriety thing!! Xx

MB, yeah, send him a text saying something has come up you need to do so will take a rain check for today to stop him potentially knocking on your door. I wouldn’t want to spend the day with someone with a hangover either! I’d do the 2 shifts myself just to get what I am owed and least if you ever needed them again they’ll be open to it. If you got two shifts this week you could be paid by Friday and move on!

xx
Old 04-14-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Manta.

I sent him a text saying that I am not in the mood today, which is totally true.

And switched the phone off)

The issues with the two shifts that the equivalent of total payment for 2 shifts is about the same that I can do if I spend the same two days doing online job.

So, it's really a question of not falling into sunk cost fallacy.

And they always need unskilled labor, no worries here)
Old 04-14-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I wouldn't want to spend time with hungover guy either. Just the smell alone would be enough. Heck I wouldn't even talk with drinking guy when drunkish on the phone, so there's that.

I quit smoking with my infamous taper. Got down to just two at work (I worked in a bar, it was the only way to get a break.) Then one day I was at a church and the youth group did a skit complete with huge chains wrapped around a boy holding a bottle of Jack and something else that I don't remember - I want to say a Playboy magazine, but not sure. Through the skit, (of course the Bible was involved) he put down the vices and shrugged off the chains and after that I never smoked again. That was 25 years ago. I was already sober at that time.

ConfusedGuy, I'm really glad you found this thread, it's kinda my home base and it's good to have you here.

Pinky, avoid avoid avoid. Good job!

And Willow! Congrats on 11 months. Bring it on, Year. Shut up, AV.

I have a confession. I was watching bar cams online yesterday. I'm really stressed and that was probably not a good idea. I just wanted to be in Key West. It feels like I am some kind of criminal and that's where criminals hide out, right? Intellectually I know I did nothing wrong on purpose, but that doesn't stop my fear. I talked to Medicare yesterday and she was no help. The bar cams were not a good idea, though. I just want it to go away. I won't drink at it and I'll keep working through it. Just...sucks.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
John I had a bone marrow biopsy a couple months ago. You’re right, it gives the docs a better picture they can’t always get in blood tests.
Enjoy your gig tonight.
Thanks Mags, it was very good and had a lovely time.

I hear that the biopsy can be painful, how did you find it?
Old 04-14-2019, 04:23 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Magsie

Midnight, I remember you having to do two days training for some of the work and for hardly any pay, then buy your uniform....If you ever need to go there again for a top up of work, you may not want to burn your bridges just yet...alternatively if you’ve made you’re mind up, move on to concentrate on your online work, perhaps. Whatever is best for you.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by John65 View Post
Thanks Mags, it was very good and had a lovely time.

I hear that the biopsy can be painful, how did you find it?
For me, the pain worrying about it was worse than the actual pain (as usual!), but the doctor was brilliant, she talked me through every step she was doing....if you don’t want to know, say so. It was painful, a different pain I’ve not had before, and much discomfort pain also. But, it doesn’t last long, about 15 minutes. A bit sore for a few days but on the whole, it was manageable.

Pleased you had a good night.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim ’s
Old 04-14-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Sober since October

My song of the day

Old 04-14-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Sober since October

On the other hand, just landed an online gig which is worth of about 5 days of temporary job.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Yay, MB. That's good news!
Old 04-14-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Magsie

Midnight
Old 04-14-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Late checking in this morning. I'm happy to see a busy thread. Yay Willow on 11 months, Yay MB looking out for yourself. Yay to everyone in early days and weeks for sticking with it. And yay to all the quitters!

Yay Ukulele strum this afternoon!
I think I smell Bacon! Later....
Old 04-14-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hey Bim ~

I believe you got no worries on your Paperwork Predicament. The reason? Old People.

At RV Parks. Daytime at Wally World. ESPECIALLY at the Pharmacy there. At the Hardware Store. All kinda Oldsters confuse 'stuff'. Part of getting old. Me, I transpose Phone Numbers occasionally. Fill in the State on a Form Line where they want only the City. The State bit is on the next Form Line. When we were RVing down in Apache Junction AZ recently - THEE place to retire - I almost got cold-cocked in Wrecks three times. Unheard of in non-Geezer areas.

My point, and I do have one: Geezers are the Demographic the State and Fed Medicare Folks you're dealing with have to cope with. Daily. All kinda simple stuff becomes complex because of Geezer errors. That becomes their Workplace Baseline World View. So, you're in the midst of that POV with your innocent error. There might be some back-and-forth Paperwork, but understanding will prevail. To be credible, all your situation has to be is not as bad as the next Geezer muck-up. There's no dearth of those.

Me, I laid in Bed for an Hour this Morning while streaming Music and trying to figger out if it was Saturday or Sunday. Once I conclusively deduced it was Sunday, I got up and started Coffee. True Story. It happens. I'm Sober. Superb Weather today. We and MesaDog are all healthy. What do I care about confusing my Days?...
Old 04-14-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Thanks Mesa. My insurance broker says sort of the same thing, "Their forms are confusing and they know it. This kind of thing happens a lot."

Part of the problem is that they MAKE you do forms online now. Fine. But that doesn't draw attention to places where the wording is ambiguous or just weird and once the form is submitted there is no one who says, "Now, this question, did you understand it fully? Because yes it does say that but it means this."

On a separate issue I went downtown a few weeks ago to Social Security to sign up and sat there with my little number for two hours only to be told to go online and fill out the forms. Okay, but I'm right HERE and if it takes five minutes like you say and I'm right here? I get it, they're trying to make the process more efficient/less labor cost yadda yadda, but I've now spent forty minutes on phone calls to straighten out a mess that would have been non-existent if they would just go through the application process with us. 5 minutes/40 minutes of their labor costs. Where's the savings?

I'm surprised humans can communicate face to face, to be honest. Put a computer, a bunch of words and no emotions or real instructions together and that's a recipe for disaster. Oh, and geezers.

Thank you.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

hang in there Bim. all you can do is keep trying to do the next right thing*.

* which does not include bar cams.