Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

‘Staying Sober this weekend together’-Weekender Thread 12 - 15 April 2019

Notices

‘Staying Sober this weekend together’-Weekender Thread 12 - 15 April 2019

Old 04-12-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Magsie

WhoDey, you don’t want to drink, I’m sure of this, this was the prop we got rid of, discarded!
Sometimes it’s hard to stand without the props, but we do!
Sounds like you hit a bump in the road....Step over it...and continue, sober.
You can do it.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi ConfusedGuy, and Pinky, good too see you!
Old 04-12-2019, 11:34 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Dragon, you asked what a bush break was, and remarked about it possibly involving a camping excursion in the outback.

No camping for us. Mrs Haddock gave up on that right after I took her camping 20 years or so ago on one of our first ever vacations together. It rained for a week straight and our humble abode was my small, domed thee-man tent, equipped with no luxuries other than a slow-punctured inflatable mattress and a pair of sleeping bags.

The bush break is going to a small nature reserve bordering the Kruger National Park. I’ll try send a photo or two that would hopefully give you some idea of the feel of the African bush.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Joining up today is day 2. Need to get sober and straighten my life. Going to my parents to talk tonight and have dinner.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi catch847, welcome to Weekenders.
That’s a good sized fish you have there on your avatar.
Hope your talk goes well with your parents later.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

support to you MNB

Post op pain manageable, but itching- everywhere scars meet skin, even after taking a/histamine- is driving me nuts
Old 04-12-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'm happy to report that this Sunday April 14th 2019 I will have completed two years of continuous sobriety. Assuming of course I don't drink between now and then. I don't think I will

I had asked my family and friends not to mention anything to me. Last year people were telling me they were proud and I got too emotional. I can talk about how sobriety is going or the mechanics of my recovery plan all day. However observing milestones with people is too hard for me.

Part of it is because recovering addicts tend to be emotional due to our immaturity from years of abuse. Our emotional growth freezes whenever we start our addictions. Part of it is also because two years is not enough distance from the bad times. Will I be able to celebrate birthdays in the future? After five or ten years? Who knows. I just know that it's still too soon for me.

All in all life is great and I find it just keeps getting better.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

just got home. these late starts in my new job are all very well, but the late finish is a killer, especially on a Friday.

but anyway, yay for the weekend. who would want to spoil two days off with alcohol? and two four-day weeks coming up, what's not to like?

hang in there anyone having a tough time. I always found having some distractions close to hand helpful in the early days - boredom & an insistent AV don't go well together. I figured out how to deal with my thoughts further down the line.

good to hear from you MB - keep on fighting! I hope your "proper" job comes through for you soon.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders ConfusedGuy, Pinky1 and catch847! Great to have you aboard.

I hope the itching is short lived PJ.

Beaten on the last hole at indoor Crazy Golf tonight - typical. Time to raise the drawbridge at Saoutchik Towers, have a great (and sober) Friday night.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:23 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

End to my Friday night is a sober one. Had a few cravings today, especially this evening but I hopped in my car and did a little lyft driving to keep my mind off it. Made 60 bucks!!

Dr went okay, he didn’t take me seriously so I’m going to my PCP to get bloodwork done before I just start taking the prescription he gave me. I wanna know what’s really going on and it can’t hurt to see where all my labs are at. Also took my kitty to the vet so everyone got a checkup today.

Anywho, hello to everyone who joined today. WeThinkNot, congrats on 2 years!! I have read everyone’s posts and always enjoy hearing about all of yall’s lives. Here’s to waking up refreshed and sober tomorrow morning.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
...I'm only 10 days sober today...
Dont see yourself short, 10 days is HUGE!
Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
...The bush break is going to a small nature reserve bordering the Kruger National Park. I’ll try send a photo or two that would hopefully give you some idea of the feel of the African bush.
Glad I asked! looking forward to the pics!
Old 04-12-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by catch847 View Post
Joining up today is day 2. Need to get sober and straighten my life. Going to my parents to talk tonight and have dinner.
Welcoome to weekenders, I take it you like to fish? I own a rod and reel but it's never seen the water....
Old 04-12-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hi MB Glad your still in one piece. So you let it all out and HM still stuck around. Besidse the fact that he can't choose a decent scarf, he's not all that bad eh?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:00 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Struggling a bit, Day 24...going to join you all here for the weekend
Old 04-12-2019, 08:52 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mariah

MB I just wanted to say that as an outsider looking in, I'm impressed with the way you're handing everything

D
Old 04-12-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Mariah, good to see you.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:31 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Nice to read the posts. I know how you feel MB. I'm looking for a job and applied to ones for which I'm over-qualified. Got rejected and am facing financial insecurity.

So, this weekend I'm practicing the art of being in the present (so to speak). That is my only plan. Be present. Because my mind is usually between deep regrets about the past and fear of an insecure future.

All I have is a sober now. That is all I can handle. Otherwise, I will go nuts.

Peace to all weekenders! It's 1:30 AM where I live and I'm glad that I'm not stumbling out of a bar. I'm grateful for the element of water (for a hot bath) rather than the poison of booze.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

Congrats everyone on their milestones - be it two years or two days. Every day holds it special value in the Sober Universe.

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Hi MB Glad your still in one piece. So you let it all out and HM still stuck around. Besidse the fact that he can't choose a decent scarf, he's not all that bad eh?
Yeah, Dragon, he is not that bad)

Thank you , Dee).

Last night I got e-mail from the third client that she is overall happy with the work i did on the first part of the gig, so it looks up as well)

It's too early to clutter my mind with the meandering of the kind, but now I am not sure what to do about my temporary jobs - I still have two shifts to go till my first paycheck. Should I get those two shifts at some point and close this stage, or let it slide and write it off as sunk cost, and focus on getting more gigs online and building my clientele there .

One day at a time, we'll see.

More coffee time for me.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Magsie

Midnight, I’m sure you’ll weigh up the pros and cons and find the right decision.....after coffee that is!