SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Depression or PAWS (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437716-depression-paws.html)

Glan 04-10-2019 07:09 PM

Depression or PAWS

Hey
Just wanted to get your advice/opinions. I’ve been sober just over a year after a stay at rehab. My alcoholism was chronic especially for the last 10 years.
Since I got sober I’ve had episodes that feel like depression however I also get psychomotor symptoms where I can barely move or can’t move and can’t speak or am slurring my words. These episodes were more intense when I first got sober but they are still happening one year later and I’m over it. It’s really getting me down because I can’t function properly and can barely get out of bed some days.
I did suffer from some depression when I was younger. but nothing like this. I went to a psychiatrist and he said it was MDD with melancholia. I guess my drinking has made my depression worse. He suggested CBT and medication. I was hoping not to go down the medication route because I feel like my brain is so damaged by alcohol I just want to heal it.
I was hoping if someone had been through something similar they could let me know what they did or what this is? Part of me thinks it just PAWS symptoms and I’m hoping they clear up by 2 years as I know it can take that long.
Also I’m thinking CBT probably won’t help as it’s based on thinking and behaviour and this feels more just brain damage..
Thanks

Dee74 04-10-2019 07:17 PM

Hi Glan - welcome :)

I've never heard of a depressive disorder that affects motor skills like that Same goes with PAWs.

If it were me, I'd be checking with my GP (family/regular doctor) if you haven't already ?

D

least 04-10-2019 07:20 PM

I was diagnosed with depression long before I was drinking. After I got sober, it was a lot better cause my antidepressants could work as they should without my drinking a depressant all day.

I am grateful for my antiD's and my doctor who prescribed them. It makes a huge difference in my life, for the better.

I don't think that taking meds precludes the brain healing from substance abuse. If you had a headache, you might take ibuprofen for it and not worry about it interfering with the brain healing.

I think rest, good food, and enough exercise will go a long way to heal the brain and body.

I hope you find some relief. :hug:

WeThinkNot 04-10-2019 07:21 PM

As a heads up, you're going to get at least one comment about PAWS isn't real. Apparently the idea that there are lingering biochemical effects on the brain after cessation of drinking is ridiculous and all the people reporting mental symptoms are imagining things.

I never had depression before I started drinking. After I quit I experienced it for the first time and it truly is as terrible as everybody says. About a year into my sobriety I started getting nervous because I thought that was enough time for the body to heal.

I was really tempted to get prescribed some meds but I didn't want to open up another can of worms. There were mostly good days but the bad days were terrible and I just had to grind through it.

21 months it took. I am celebrating my second birthday on Sunday and the symptoms are all gone. The good news is that now I'm in an elevated and happy mood all the time and it's 100% free of any medications or intoxicants.

Keep grinding. It sucks big time but keep grinding.

Glan 04-10-2019 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7162295)
Hi Glan - welcome :)

I've never heard of a depressive disorder that affects motor skills like that Same goes with PAWs.

If it were me, I'd be checking with my GP (family/regular doctor) if you haven't already ?

D

Hey D
yes it’s melancholic depression where the symptoms are visible in the body and you really slow down.

Glan 04-10-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 7162298)
I was diagnosed with depression long before I was drinking. After I got sober, it was a lot better cause my antidepressants could work as they should without my drinking a depressant all day.

I am grateful for my antiD's and my doctor who prescribed them. It makes a huge difference in my life, for the better.

I don't think that taking meds precludes the brain healing from substance abuse. If you had a headache, you might take ibuprofen for it and not worry about it interfering with the brain healing.

I think rest, good food, and enough exercise will go a long way to heal the brain and body.

I hope you find some relief. :hug:

Thanks so much ..me too so sick of it! 😢

Glan 04-10-2019 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot (Post 7162300)
As a heads up, you're going to get at least one comment about PAWS isn't real. Apparently the idea that there are lingering biochemical effects on the brain after cessation of drinking is ridiculous and all the people reporting mental symptoms are imagining things.

I never had depression before I started drinking. After I quit I experienced it for the first time and it truly is as terrible as everybody says. About a year into my sobriety I started getting nervous because I thought that was enough time for the body to heal.

I was really tempted to get prescribed some meds but I didn't want to open up another can of worms. There were mostly good days but the bad days were terrible and I just had to grind through it.

21 months it took. I am celebrating my second birthday on Sunday and the symptoms are all gone. The good news is that now I'm in an elevated and happy mood all the time and it's 100% free of any medications or intoxicants.

Keep grinding. It sucks big time but keep grinding.

thanks that gives me so much hope 😊 Just don’t want to go back to the booze no matter what, some days are just so painful though.

kinzoku 04-10-2019 07:47 PM

Keep grinding is right.

I'm a person who has always battled depression. I think it silly to imagine there is a cure, chemical or otherwise.

But we figure out how to live our best lives as we are.

Dee74 04-10-2019 08:19 PM

Hi Glan - I have experience with depression, motor function impairment and PAWs...but not altogether - obviously I'm not familiar with that type of depression :)

I hope you and your Doctor/s can work something out to help the symptoms :)

Originally Posted by Kinzoku
I'm a person who has always battled depression. I think it silly to imagine there is a cure, chemical or otherwise.

I'm the least depressed I've ever been in my life...and it's been a long battle.

Whether that's down to recovery/lifestyle change, improved diet and exercise or my taking of an old tricyclic anti depressant for nerve pain, I just don't know.

I think all have played a part - but I know opinions will differ on meds :)

D