Notices

Depression Days following binge - Experiences?

Old 04-11-2019, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression Days following binge - Experiences?

Hey guys,

So I just have a quite common question, but I'm also curious.

I've always suffered from OCD and anxiety.

Being that said, I think it's safe to say that even people who are not alcoholics suffer from "depression" or mood swings after a night of heavy drinking. However, this feeling wears off after a day or two. That was me, well, a very long time ago.

From some years ( I do not know two or three) my physical hangovers go off in the next day. However, my moral hangover, depression, mood swing (call it as you please), lasts for minimum a week. Sometimes, even two. Bare in mind I don't necessarily need to screw up in order to get this post drinking depression (Not that I haven't screwed up like a million times).

So I guess my questions are the following:

1. Does someone have a similar experience? - Ok, I'm sure you do. Better asked, could you share your experience?

2. Is it 100% attributable to my alcoholism or also to my anxiety and OCD conditions?

3. Is the age a factor OR just the fact that when you grow older you get more responsibilities and hence, the depression gets harder because you might fail to fulfill them.

I hope you guys have a wonderful and sober Thursday.

Best,

Hope
Old 04-11-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The more years I drank the worse the post drinking anxiety despair depression and paranoia got.

Its part of something called alcohol kindling. Our withdrawals affect us mroe and more and last longer and longer.

Its not fun. I remember being crushed by depression and disappointment.

I know it's obvious but maybe it needs saying - you don;t have to deal with this post drinking stuff if you decide to not drink anymore.

You can use the memory of how you feel now to help you make better choices in future.

You can find help and support to help you stay sober and to help you make the changes in your life that reflect your desire to be sober

You can stay sober - if you want, and you're prepared to do what it takes. I absolutely believe that

You may not feel great right away but you will feel better than you feel now

My mental health has never been better. I really hope you decide to aim for change Hope

D
Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

For me absolutely. Even times when I don’t have major consequences the emotional depression etc gets worse. I’m not sure why as I thought for a while well if I drink once every few weeks for a night etc it can’t be alcoholism but iv come to the conclusion it is I cannot get away with that stuff in my system ever as it effects my mental health even in small amounts.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. Me. I used to feel suicidal after drinking. I just wanted to die every day and my anxiety and depression increased. I used to think this was normal {laughs to self** and just the price one had to pay for drinking alcohol. It isn't just alcoholics or heavy drinkers that can get the "beer fear" or the "booze blues" though. Alcohol is a depressant and will only increase depression and anxiety symptoms. I have been sober 11 and a half months and I have not felt the way I did when I was drinking once . I do suffer from depression which I am on medication for and I still get anxious but it is ok. It is manageable. It isn't the same as before. The Big Book of AA calls it the four horsemen . Terror. Frustration. Bewilderment. Despair. I haven't had those 4 horsemen visit me in sobriety, thank God, and I hope I never see them again.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been there, done that, all of it, all of it, went away once I got sober.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I began drinking to deal with anxiety/depression. It made things so much worse. Keep in mind that alcohol is a depressant. It's likely that your depression/anxiety will ease up if you stop drinking.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I had awful awful depression and anxiety when I drank. For a while, it didn't last long, and I would feel better within a day after a binge. Then as the years went on, it would last longer and longer, until it got to the point where I almost never felt ok. And it took almost nothing to get to that point, a glass or two of wine would do it. I was pretty much suicidal, in that I'd wake up in the morning wishing I hadn't. Thinking it would be better if I was just... gone. Never got to the point of planning to kill myself, but I'm pretty sure I would have if I had continued, at some point.

I think most people experience this to some extent. It's worse for people already prone to anxiety and depression, of course. I had been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder while I was still drinking, so I didn't realize how much worse alcohol was making it, until I quit. I started feeling better within a couple of weeks. I was even able to taper off my meds at about 6 months, but did it with the blessing of my GP and therapist. I'd go back on them if I need to.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's only one way for you to find out. Quit drinking then see how you feel.
For me, alcohol and benzos were 95% of the problem. I'm 12.5 months clean c/t.
All the best!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

My alcoholism was progressive. So was the depression because that is the way alcoholism kept it's hooks in me.

Age wasn't a factor ("just the fact that when you grow older you get more responsibilities and hence, the depression gets harder because you might fail to fulfill them") because hindsight has shown me that I am younger today than I was 15 years ago when my journey started.

When I was drinking, I don't know if I was OCD although I did have high levels of anxiety. I imagine I was just plain anal retentive and had high levels of anxiety because of my drinking (part of the hooks). At any rate, recovery has eased those things.

I hope you guys have a wonderful and sober Thursday.
I plan to have a sober Thursday, the wonderful part is totally contingent upon me. :~)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is actually a term for it, 'hangxiety". this article may help explain:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theg...er-and-anxiety
Old 04-11-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hangovers get worse the longer you've been a drinker, rather than an age thing.

People think it's age related because most people start drinking when young and it progresses.

Problem drinkers are more susceptible to kindling as they drink heavier, more frequently and for longer than regular drinkers.

Some regular drinkers would also experience kindling, it isn't unique to alcoholics. The difference is, they don't drink to excess so often and rarely experience the ill effects. Also, because many normal drinkers don't like hangovers, they won't get black out drunk like we do.

Also, bear in mind many problem drinkers end up problem drinkers as they have an existing sensitivity or susceptibility to mental illness, whether that is depression or anxiety, even at a small level. Alcohol will cerebrate or bring to the surface these mental issues, leading to self medication and alcohol abuse.

That said I am sure there are a certain section of society who do not experience hangovers the way alcoholics do, I have a friend who could drink me under the table and the next day he was absolutely fine, whilst I would be in living hell. It's like he is immune.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Hope?

D
Old 04-12-2019, 02:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone, for your warmth and your insights.

It was very interesting to learn about a new term 'hangxiety', I have heard of it before.

I am slowly doing better. However, I struggle to know what will I do with my free time, especially on weekends. For me, despite loving life, it is so damn boring and I hate being alone. That's my trigger, I want to shut my brain down to be able to avoid spending time with myself.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better Hope - you will find new interests & things to do and that vast expanse of free time will shrink pretty rapidly

D
Old 04-12-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As Primavato mentioned, some people are probably more susceptible to mood disturbances than others. A pre-existing disorder can be amplified by consuming alcohol. I have ADHD, and alcohol will exasperate the symptoms 10 fold, particularly if I am drinking on a daily basis. I won't sleep for days after a binge. Alcohol is a drug. A socially acceptable one.

Give yourself a few days for your brain to adjust.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

"I struggle to know what will I do with my free time, especially on weekends. For me, despite loving life, it is so damn boring and I hate being alone. That's my trigger, I want to shut my brain down to be able to avoid spending time with myself. "

Oh boy, I could have written that exact thing when I was newly sober. I really did not like myself, so being alone with only my own company seemed like the most horrible punishment possible. I went to meetings and I was in IOP, though, so that used up some time. I was only working part-time. When I did have time alone at home, I kept myself distracted with sobriety-related books, lots of games on my ipad, cleaning and organizing, and lots of hikes in the woods. I had a hard time just sitting and watching Netflix or TV - I'd get antsy. So I know how you feel. It got better. Lots better. As I worked on myself and my days of sobriety started to add up, I felt better about myself and actually started to look forward to alone time. Now I often feel like I don't have enough of it!