Notices

Drinking dream

Old 04-10-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dream

I won't go into the details, but I had a dream where I was drunk last night and woke up so upset. I had upset friends in the dream by my drinking and felt so guilty. I think I laid in bed half awake for several minutes hating on myself for relapsing before realizing that it was a dream and that hadn't happened.

I've been stressed about other things going on, so I'm not all that surprised by my dream. It really shook me up, though.

Good news, it WAS just a dream and I still have 3+ months sober. Feeling good about that, even if the rest of life is a little wonky right now. Better wonky sober than drunk, for sure.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's amazing how intense these dreams are. They come and go through sobriety. Keep it moving and congrats on 3+ months.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had a few of those dreams in the last year. They're always so painful.. I woke up once literally in tears of shame. But when you wake up and realize it's just a dream, you have a new appreciation for the value of your sobriety, for sure!
Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, I've had those. Weird feeling. I too woke up and felt guilty about drinking, and then finally realized it was a dream, went back to sleep, slept like a baby.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

They are very common. I chose to attach no deep meaning to them - my subconscious is full of drinking memories to play with.

I stayed sober when I was awake which is what counts

D
Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know those dreams well.

Waking up from them is sweet relief.

Congratulations on your sobriety.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeepingUp View Post
I had a dream where I was drunk last night and woke up so upset. I had upset friends in the dream by my drinking and felt so guilty. I think I laid in bed half awake for several minutes hating on myself for relapsing...
Ha! Welcome to recovery. I don't think recovery is complete without one of these dreams. By not drinking, you are annoying your subconscious, and it wants to make your life miserable for not pampering it.