Notices

Need to stop

Old 04-10-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gettingcloser View Post
Hi Rich
I think a person like yourself, in a way, sometimes has it tougher then someone who has hit rock bottom. I guess this is because you can justify your drinking by saying things like, you have a great job, great kids great stuff, no arrests but there is obviously a big problem.
I think seeking professional help will help you understand what you are up against and give you the much needed help to change. You have no ammunition against the "sober for 3 days, lets just have one" attitude.
You need to break the cycle, educate yourself and be involved with other people that understand you and can give you the right tools.
As you say, it's not about the actual quitting part for you, it is about keeping it that way.
I like how you say that. I feel like I am only a day away from losing everything if I don’t change. It does appear on the surface like I might not have a problem but talk to me in the dark and it’s as clear as can be. This is the first time I reached out and wrote about it. Before I just always read about it. Hopefully that much closer.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I feel like I could write just about everything you did. I first discovered this site 5-6 years ago and a lot of what I read resonated with me. All these years later I have run out of ways to rationalize my drinking. Thank god I have maintained decent relationships with my family and never wound up in jail, but it is pure luck. I feel it could all unravel on me at any moment if I pickup another drink.

There’s a class of April 2019 thread with a lot of us newbs. After lurking on and off I realize the people on this site know a thing or two about our circumstances.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
I made the mistake of thinking something external would finally make me "snap out of it" but it never came. DUIs, divorce, losing friends, financial problems, getting passed over at work, all that stuff happened to me but I kept drinking. Then I would wonder what would it take before I hit my bottom.

One night I was drinking in the dark as I did every night. Because of my tolerance I wasn't anywhere close to where I needed to be after finishing the bottle. It was too late to go get some more whiskey so I was stuck.

I had that moment of clarity that is often talked about when it comes to addiction. While sitting there I realized what I had become and how profoundly unhappy I was on the inside. Right there on the spot I decided I was finished with booze forever.

A great job, great family, cars, houses, all that stuff doesn't matter if there is something wrong on the inside. That's where you need to focus your attention.

thank you you for the reply. I certainly didnt mean to sound like I have it all because I certainly don’t. It’s just when I ask people if they think I have a problem people would say no. I always had a problem I could tell. I mostly was safe but a couple times woke up places I had no idea where I was, literally a different town. I always black out, I know how to usually work it and somehow I got it down where I get into bed. Although when I wake up I wonder how I got there it’s always the same. I built an addition onto my house and it is a man cave. I made liquor bottle lights and decided to save the old liquor bottles to make lamps and etc. however, I have 100’s of empties. I haven’t been saving a long time and only the higher end stuff but I just can’t believe I can drink that much. In any event I can easily drink a fifth, mixed in 3-4 hours and wake and pass out and wake up in 4 hours with the worst anxiety known to man. Heart is beating so hard I can barely blink. I haven’t drank tonight but i am already trying to talk myself into drinking this weekend. It sucks. This reasoning I have with myself is so convincing I should be a sales guy. Lastly, I know I am depressed. Honestly, I would pull the trigger at any moment if I didn’t think I would survive and be all messed up. I am not really suicidal, just defeated. I would trade my life with a person weeks from death just to be able to enjoy what time I had left. For the things I have, I think the reason I buy and have the things I do is because they make me feel good and happy for a few days at a time. Then they are just something that I have to maintain and I feel like **** again. When I drink, every morning I shave, groom as good as possible, look the best I can, just so people would look past the baggy eyes. My eyes look identical to Vince Vaughn’s eyes. I am so self conscious. When I did t drink for the 30 days I didn’t care about shaving. Tried to grow a beard actually. Just didn’t give a crap what people thought. When I drink I care what everyone thinks. I am very sorry to rambl, every time I feel like I am done I have fifty more thoughts. This is First night not drinking in a couple weeks and feel like I have so much to say. Never wrote down my feelings before. I can see this as helpful. On another note, I wish I could only drink on weekends or only to buzzed because I am scared to death to quit for good. But when I try not drinking I am a mess by mid week. Nerves are shot. Everything and everyone sucks! During the 30 day break, with meds, I made sure I took the pill first thing when I woke up, during that time my life just seemed so blah. Besides the sleep I didn’t feel all that much better but my eyes definitely weren’t as baggy. Geez I keep going..... I ask myself all the time, is regretting drinking and feeling like **** all day worth the 4 hours of enjoyment that I get from drinking at night. Keep in mind, I am drinking in that time what most people drink in a week. Anyhow, I know the answer is no, but I do it again. If I drink this weekend I am going to go to AA Monday. Sorry to ramble.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Rich,

You can do it, man!
By the way, the reason you come to with crazy anxiety at 2-3 AM is because alcohol is a depressant and it messes with the chemical receptors in your brain that induce relaxation; so your central nervous system responds by trying to balance your brain chemistry. As the alcohol is processed out of your system, that response still remains and the effect you feel is the opposite of alcohol. Anxiety and agitation rather than calm relaxation.

It can be dangerous to rebound your brain chemistry that hard, so if you start feeling really jumpy, it's best to go to the emergency room or at least be around someone that can watch you.

Come to the light side. Alcohol sucks. Keep posting here and develop a plan. I personally go to a recovery prevention group once a week, see a therapist once a week, and I go to AA meetings. I also stay close to SR. Oh yeah, and join the April, 2019 Recovery Thread if you haven't already!
Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You’re not unique , you’re an alcoholic addicted to hangovers? No you just have a built in forgetter that when you feel a little better it’s back to the races., I see a lot of thought as to why do this , I’m so successful in everything else why can’t I beat this . Been there many times . I drank the stuff because it worked then it didn’t and I didn’t know what to do.
The first thing I had to do was stop drinking and stay stopped. My brain did not function correctly it was damaged. The only thing that I could do was stop for one day then the next day and then the day after that.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Kdon, I always felt like I didn’t believe in addiction. I always felt if you want to do it more than you don’t then you will. If you don’t you won’t. Having said that it’s hard to believe that in the past couple years. Tearing up in a dr office telling him I can’t quit sucked 2 years ago. 30 days later like I never quit. Anyhow, the craziest thing I can say is and never really told my wife or anyone, is I have a battle going on in my head, I woke up this morning at 7:00, late for me on any day but through the night I woke up at the same times I would if I was drinking. Wide awake at 12:30 am and 2;30 but forced myself to go back to sleep and within minutes slept. Anyhow, the battle I have is while eating breakfast all I could think about is should I drink this weekend. I was weighing out the options and justifying to myself telling my wife I’m an opportunist and not an alcoholic. Meaning I drink when I can and the thought of alcoholism makes me feel guilty for having a good time. My wife who enjoys drinking in a scary way, meaning she can drink and she is conscious about her weight, (140 and very attractive), not just saying that, even my daughters (jumior in high school) male friends think her mom is hot. Anyhow, she drinks shots of tequila. Or she will try to have mine but is cautious cause if I run out before pass out time then she will need to have my daughter take her to the store. But she can drink to blackout, really in just the last year or so since she has been drinking liquor, but she sleeps through the night, wakes up, pukes about 10 times and goes to work all day and has meetings and everything else. Then she will just text me alcohol emojis all day and do it again. However, I notice she is starting to show signs in her face. She can hide it with makeup that I don’t have that luxury. Anyway, this battle in my head goes on all day, everyday I am not drinking. I don’t talk to myself but I think, ok, I’m drinking. Then I say no I am not. Then I call my wife and have her stop on the way home and get a bottle. I used to buy the handles but do t anymore because even if I wanted to do my best and not drink the next night, if there is booze in the house, I have no chance. I left a bottle of Jim beam at the beach so when I go Friday I am nervous. As I always do I keep telling myself this will be it so I will purposely overdue it and start fresh on Monday. If I drink on Sunday forget it. I will drink all week. Before I could drink a few beers on Wednesday. Just because I could no longer tolerate anything by that point. Those beers just took off the edge. Then Thursday I buy a plastic bottle, I think a pint, I drink that and usually not that buzzed. That’s 3 May e 4 drinks. Then go get another. Then come Friday, I am getting a handle and then some. Wow! Who knew I had so much to say. These tangents are horrible. Anyway, I will have the battle in my head and the alcohol side is much much smarter than the sober side, I can tell you that.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anyway, I will have the battle in my head and the alcohol side is much much smarter than the sober side, I can tell you that.
When I got sober I no longer found it useful to think of two sides in my head warring.

Both sides are me. There;'s no strong side or weak side.

For years I fed my addiction - it's not surprising most decisions went its way. Then I started to nourish my recovery.

Haven't heard a peep out of my 'inner addict/addiction' for years.

The side that wins is the side I feed the most.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Rich,

Addiction is a biological reality - there's nothing to believe or not believe about that unless you don't believe in science. The war rages on whether addiction is a disease or not. You can certainly chose your side on that one if you wish. It really doesn't matter what you call your conundrum with alcohol. It's clearly impacting your life in a negative way, if "only" for the constant battle you are waging over I will/I won't. This is the craziness that all addicts understand - in my book it's the very definition of active addiction.

Not sure why you're comparing yourself to your wife, and whether you come out favorably or unfavorably in that equation. Sounds like she has a problem too, but perhaps isn't willing/ready to face it yet? Maybe it would be a good thing to talk over with her - maybe she has the same struggle and you just don't know it. Maybe she thinks you are giving her permission. I dunno, but I think it's important to talk about.

I understand the alcohol side vs the sober side. But there's another side you didn't mention - and that's the real you. If you could snap your fingers and have your choice in a minute without effort, would your true self wish to continue drinking or to be free of the booze?

Of course, Dee's right that both "sides" are us. I do believe, though, that one of those sides enjoys chemical alteration regardless of the cost and the other side recognizes how that alteration robs us of ourselves.

O
Old 04-12-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

How's it going, Rich?