SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Fat ugly blob (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437684-fat-ugly-blob.html)

Tinkerbeau 04-09-2019 11:51 AM

Fat ugly blob

Is how i feel right now, along with sad lonely loser, i know alot of it is due to the alcohol leaving my system, day 2, but ive been alone for so long is that what makes me drink or am i alone because i drink ?? I have no confidence right now and just feel fat and bloated and unattractive

Midwest1981 04-09-2019 12:00 PM

Sorry to hear you feel that way. The bloat will go down the longer you are sober and your confidence will go up too. Do something nice for yourself today. Like shower and get cleaned up and take a walk if you feel up too it.

Hope you feel better soon. Stick with it.

Tinkerbeau 04-09-2019 12:07 PM

Thanks midwest, i have tried to go out today, took my son to a farm, but just feel so down. I will try get some sleep and hopefully things will feel better in the morning

Finalround 04-09-2019 12:19 PM

I've lost the bloat and excess fat caused from drinking. I get more exercise and eat well. I am by no means the guy I was years ago looks wise, but I've found a comfort in where I am today. I'm happy to be sober and feel healthy. That makes me more content with my appearance.

It starts with removing the drink first.

Mummyto2 04-09-2019 12:25 PM

I’ve started exercising, put an app on my phone called pacer and it’s great, most importantly the exercise is great for my mind, it’s great if I lose a few pounds but I do it more because it lifts my moral, good luck

Anna 04-09-2019 12:33 PM

Tinker, alcoholism isolates us from everything and everyone we love. It wants us to feel awful, so we turn back to it, again and again.

Day 2 is tough, but you can get through it and it will get easier. You will feel better about yourself each day.

ConfusedGuy 04-09-2019 12:34 PM

Hi Tinkerbeau - you will lose the bloat. stay sober, stay positive, you are not a loser. You are here, staying away from the alcohol, wanting to change. Sounds like a winner to me. I'm only in day 4, but getting rid of the excess pounds is part of my plan for a happier life.

sydneyman 04-09-2019 12:56 PM

I lost 26kg since quitting. My blood pressure is that good that coming off meds. My liver enzymes back to below average. Have energy and vitality. Great sex drive. All after quitting the booze. Hope that gives you a bit of inspiration ❤️👍

Tinkerbeau 04-09-2019 01:05 PM

Thanks for the support everyone, it gives me tons of inspiration. I dont have any friends so everybodys support on here means a great deal

trailmix 04-09-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau (Post 7161402)
Is how i feel right now, along with sad lonely loser

Tinkerbeau, you've had a rough time. We all have negative thoughts about ourselves from time to time, but they are not worth repeating.

You are not a "fat ugly blob" nor are you a "sad, lonely loser".

I used to talk negatively to myself like that, I used to read and hear people say - oh don't be so hard on yourself, hey what if you starting being nice to yourself? What if you didn't speak to yourself so harshly?

You know what, I blew that off, it sounded so airy fairy.

Well one day I caught myself doing it - again - and I stopped and thought. Why DO you talk to yourself like that? You would never in a million years think that about anyone else and you sure wouldn't ever say something like that to them, so what ARE you doing exactly?

You know what, I don't know why I was doing it (and I really don't care at this point) but I stopped doing it. It does make a difference and it really does have a negative affect on you when you allow it. Whatever I was telling myself just wasn't true and I'm pretty darn sure what you are telling yourself isn't true either.

How about instead of being so hard on yourself you do something nice for yourself to give yourself a boost? How about a manicure or pedicure, how about a haircut, new makeup, a new shirt - if those aren't in the budget, bubble baths, foot bath, some home concoction for a face mask. Do your nails.

Now if this seems simplistic, well that's because it is that simple. When you look in the mirror, don't criticize yourself, tell yourself you are ok just the way you are (because you are!) Instead of being so mean to yourself, be nice to yourself, you deserve it.

Sorry for the long ramble : )

eachdayanewday 04-09-2019 01:17 PM

I can absolutely relate to what you are going through. I had a falling out with my group of best friends and since then I have gone in and out of depression. I isolate myself and thats when I find myself drinking more. I used to drink socially and now I drink by myself. Its a vicious cycle thats for sure. I am very active and eat good but since I have been drinking so much I gained so much of my weight back. I love this forum because I don't have many people that I can talk to about drinking.

Dee74 04-09-2019 01:47 PM

You're on the right road TB - keep going - get the not drinking part down then you'll be well placed to deal with whatever other aspects of your life you think need fixing :)

D

LoveDD 04-09-2019 02:29 PM

My first few sober days I felt the same way. Having to be sober and look in the mirror and see the damage I had done. However, after only 28 days I look so much better. Bloat gone, better skin, more clear eyes. It really doesn’t take long to see improvement on the outside and the inside. I’m still significantly heavier then I was before this last “binge”(which is almost a year of daily drinking) but it isn’t taking long to start looking and feeling better. I’m cheering for you :)

Hawkeye13 04-09-2019 04:21 PM

Drinking always made me get down on myself even more harshly than I would sober for years.

That's an old tape that should be replaced with positive self-talk.

The drink really does get us both mentally and physically, but you are on the sober road now--the bloat and puffy red face will go away, the sparkle will come back to your dull eyes as your system clears.

Most importantly, the dark mood will lift and you'll begin to see in a more positive way. By practicing that now, even if you don't yet "believe" it, you'll accelerate the process and make it happen much faster.

You can do it--you are worth it :grouphug:

thomas11 04-09-2019 04:27 PM

Sucks the way you feel about yourself, but I think its pretty normal and I know I have certainly felt exactly like you. Drinking is like having an anchor tied to your ankle and being thrown overboard. It takes you down. Cut the anchor loose and you can slowly but surely start rebuilding a healthy life. And a social life. But it requires action and takes effort. Wish you the best.

least 04-09-2019 04:33 PM

I hated myself when I was drinking. :( After some sober time I got so that I liked myself and didn't feel so depressed. Drinking makes us depressed. Get sober for good and you'll start feeling better about yourself. :hug:

Lucy79 04-09-2019 07:36 PM

Sorry you are feeling this way, I too feel the same way. But I know once this poison is out of my system and I get back on track with eating better and exercising, I will feel better about myself. Last year I was sober for four months. I lost 40lbs just eating healthier and drinking water. No extra exercise besides trying to get my 10,000 steps in a day. After falling off the wagon, I gained it all back and then some. So I completely feel I let myself go. I keep telling myself I am only on day 2. We need to keep reminding ourselves of the big picture and where we will be if we stay on the right track. Try taking a shower, make some tea or coffee. I did that today and it really lifted my spririts. It's amazing what a shower and some fresh clothes and make up can do. We got this!

kinzoku 04-09-2019 09:05 PM

One battle at a time! You are on day 2 that is amazing, lets focus on that. We can always improve ourselves more and more as time goes on. But my AV likes to use the excuse of "wow there is so much you need to do, thats impossible, why not drink". Naw. One thing at at time.

Tinkerbeau 04-09-2019 10:29 PM

Thank you everyone, you have teally helped me put things in perspective, i cant expect overnight miracles but i can take it one day at a time caring for myself and the changes will come.
i stopped drinking a year and half ago for around 76 days and lost 2 stone and felt great, but my dad had a stroke and i started drinking so put weight back on.
As long as everyday i do not drink and care for myself, things will get better day by day and that is an exciting thought

Dee74 04-10-2019 03:55 PM

As long as everyday i do not drink and care for myself, things will get better day by day and that is an exciting thought
:c014:

D