Notices

How did you break away from your friends that drank/used

Old 04-10-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I found that it was natural progression. At first, I chose to not socialize with my friends. I can do so now, but have limits on what I will and won’t do. When the energy of the night turns, aka they are drunk, I leave. Same goes for my family. I severely limit my time with them due to drinking. Holidays last about 2 hours now, for me, whereas before they were full day drinking affairs

My drinking buddies are all gone. I didn’t reach out to them and they didn’t reach out to me. Honestly, I don’t feel like I am missing out on anything with that group.

Last edited by Atlast9999; 04-10-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Posted too soon
Old 04-10-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
I found that it was natural progression. At first, I chose to not socialize with my friends. I can do so now, but have limits on what I will and won’t do. When the energy of the night turns, aka they are drunk, I leave. Same goes for my family. I severely limit my time with them due to drinking. Holidays last about 2 hours now, for me, whereas before they were full day drinking affairs

My drinking buddies are all gone. I didn’t reach out to them and they didn’t reach out to me. Honestly, I don’t feel like I am missing out on anything with that group.
Exactly!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My wife drinks but doesn’t have a problem. When we first met I was a daily pot smoker which did the trick. Then we joined a tennis club & were introduced to “cocktail hour “. What a great concept I thought. The bottles came out & we drank & laughed & had a great time. Fast forward 20 years & I was drinking Vodka from the time a got up until I passed out @ night for 4 hours of alcohol sedated sleep. She can have her two stiff drinks @ “cocktail hour “ & offered to stop &, in fact, has dropped down to Friday, Saturday, Sunday. We miss our “cocktail hour” where we would unwind & talk & laugh. It was hard at first but eventually, over time, we unwind & talk & laugh without the cocktail. I guess what I’m saying is I keep the important people in my life & over time an adjustment happens & it’s the same just without the alcohol. Or not. Currently 8 plus months sober on my third try in the last 3 years.