Notices

Day 3 - Turned my phone off

Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

CG- I love this AM post from you! I'd keep the phone off til you are at the dr, and then back on, if I was in your shoes.

And, to add my $0.02 to snitch's spot on post- I kept a SUPER tight circle when I got sober, as in my parents and people I (slowly) got to know in AA. Like, for the first 90 days. That put me in early summer of 2016 and beyond the "social" comraderie at my very safe fast food job, I slowly approached friends with whom I felt comfortable and knew would support my recovery. I did indeed cut out one significant person out of my life at the start, who had been major in my drinking. I still haven't reached out to that person at all.

You're doing such good stuff- let us know about the dr visit and focus on work, and your plans for the day. Pre-planning to avoid "surprises" like more texts (from anyone you just don't want to deal with! still times I have to remember others don't always respond immediately to me so taking 12 hours til the next day is OK!).
Old 04-09-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Agree with Manta about blocking the number--you don't need negative energy or guilt trips at the moment.

Be a bit self-centered right now as you grow into sobriety.
Bar-friends are friendships built around the shared experience of drinking, for the most part, and typically they fizzle out when one person quits.

That's certainly been the case for me--my drinking friends still drink, still tell the same stories, and are apparently caught in an alcohol-induced time warp.
Meanwhile, I've moved on with the present and staying sober.

I don't mean anything negative about them--they are adults, pay their bills, and can be fun to be around. But it just isn't my scene anymore.
Drunk people bore me.

I often bored myself when drunk too

Have a great day CG!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Back at my apartment. Been to doctor, went to work. Phone still turned off and it's going to stay off tonight.

Doctor kind of prodded about, checked blood pressure and taken samples. Ive been honest and told him about my drinking. The short version is that he thinks I have got 'fatty liver' but I might have 'Alcohol Hepatitis (?)' but won't know until the results are back in a couple of days. So got another appointment Friday.
He did say that A.H. is reversable but I must stop NOW and also not to eat any sugar (?!). To be honest when I heard the Hep. word I was stunned, apparently its not like I think of Hep. At least it's reversible, if I have got it. Just means no more chocolate I guess, and I think carbs aren't great either ... and definately no more alcohol.
I get a feeling that maybe I have stopped just-in-time. It just makes me want to stay sober more. Got to wait now until Friday. Trying to be positive!! Hey-ho. At least I feel I want to eat something.
Oh well. Plenty to be grateful for I suppose. sweet stuff is going in the bin. Although to be honest I do feel a bit tearful right now. Held it together all day. Probably watch ANOTHER movie and eat something, get my Day 4.
Thanks for being there.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Really well done going to the doctor and being honest. It's going to be okay - and livers are amazingly resilient organs, so try not to worry. I know...

My suggestion is stay away from doctor google. Ask me how I know.

Well done on another sober day, and on leaving the phone off.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

biminiblue - 'Ask me how I know' - Im guessing. But yes, if I start on google then I'll self-diagnose with all sorts of stuff. I can do without that! My blood-pressure is a bit up, and the test will show up any other stuff like cholestrol, but my big worry was my liver - because that's what you always hear about with alcohol.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was going to AA meetings for the first few months I was sober. Holy moly. Between that and reading on here, I got more of an education than I ever imagined about the [many] medical issues caused by drinking. It's really scary. In AA (and on here) there are a lot of horror stories.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Guy,

I'm so glad you went to see the doctor. And made another appointment for Friday! That is really awesome. Good call on leaving the phone off too.

Keep watching those movies, no apologies. It's a good way to distract yourself now. As time goes by, you will find other things to do.

O
Old 04-09-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Is morning here and Im going to work soon. Started making a plan of what to do at the weekend. Just boring stuff really - supermarket, apartment, go walk round a park, anything really to keep busy. Im going to try an AA meeting, there is one here at weekend. If it's not for me then Ive tried it. Need to stay well away from anywhere that serves alcohol this weekend so no cafes or restaurants.
Checked my phone this morning. Glad I turned it off, got missed call last night from you-know-who and a text also. I deleted the text without reading it and turned the phone off again.
Sleeping really deep last night. Best night sleep Ive had in years I think. Coffee is a bit 'Euggghhhh...' without sugar. but I guess I'll try and get used to this. Determined to get well now.
Have a great day!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well done.

Yep get to an AA meeting. Be open minded. Listen to the similarities not the differences. Everyone in that meeting wants what you have. To not drink.

Why arent you having sugar in coffee? Dont try to quit everything at once CG. Concentrate on the alcohol. The rest can come later.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

CG - so glad to read your continuing posts. And I had alcoholic hepatitis and it was probably in my chart well before I ever saw or registered it- I got to the brink of cirrhosis and somehow made it back. Stopping NOW and completely and for good is the sole way to heal your liver (well, diet and all that good stuff too but you get my point- it's the alcohol that is crucial). I admit, I am not good about sugar and at one point did a step one about frozen yogurt. But that's not what matters here and for you!

Glad you are going to go to an AA meeting. If you have questions or time, maybe read up on the basics of what AA is, if you don't already have a gist. And it isn't for everyone (hell, I went kicking and screaming) but I would suggest you give it more than one meeting. Kinda like any group, there are all different kinds of people at any given meeting- and they're all alcoholics like us, and are somewhere with their own journey, if that makes sense.

Glad you are making great choices about that phone "stuff." You're doing so well - glad you are here taking this one issue and day at a time.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You're doing everything right CG--just get through each day and do the next right thing.

You'll be amazed where you are and how you feel in six weeks
Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

How ya doing, CG?

Still with us? Good job ignoring you know who.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Confused Guy:

I think we have the same first day of the rest of our lives. Keep on truckin', buddy.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Just back in from work and checking in here. I Stayed a bit late. I got day 5 and tomorrow morning will have 6 days. I can hardly believe that I havent even had one little shot in 5 days!

- Thanks for all the support, I really mean this - don't know if I'd have got through the first 3 days otherwise, seriously .

- Anyway, (snitch) - Im not having sugar because my doctor said something about it being bad for liver I think - I was a bit blown away when he said 'Hepatitis' to be honest, so I'll ask him again tomorrow. But I have excess wait round the middle (drink) so I need to think about losing it !! If Im physically ok then maybe join a gym for a bit, years since I went to a gym and it'll take more than a bit of confidence to do this, so maybe not yet but Im thinking about it.

I have another doctors appointment in the morning to go through my test results. Has to be done. Im kind-of positive that any damage can be undone, but Ive stayed away from 'google-doctor' ... I will get the results and deal with it properly.

- And AA ? - yes, Im trying to be neutral and just see what it is about. Thanks for the suggestion (August2...) about researching it - I will do that.

- My phone is back on. No more calls or texts. As it's Friday tomorrow I will probably switch it off again. Im going to protect my sobriety.

- Also did think a couple of times about the weekend and having a drink, but I realise now that this is normal in these first days. So I'll do whatever it takes.

- Im also thinking a lot about making some changes to my life but I want to get well clear of the booze before I do anything big. I mean changing my job, maybe go back home for a bit, maybe join a class for something, I dont know right now. Weekend will be a long lonely experience. I'll break it up a bit with maybe a walk in a park, supermarket, finish the cleaning I started a few days back.... all I got to do is get through it. Think I'll be happier after Ive been to the doctors tomorrow and got the results, hope so anyway!

Trying to focus on eating healthy, drinking tons of water etc, etc, and sleeping - Last 2 nights slept right through without waking up. Can't remember last time I had proper sleep - its usually been drink-induced and fitful at best.

I guess Im rambling on. Nice to be connected.
Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 5-6

D
Old 04-11-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Ramble on, CG - that is all really good stuff.
You're doing it!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Very inspiring posts CG... You sound like a very strong person.
I fell not too long ago...it makes me want to get back up.
Thanks for that...
Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

just waking up and going soon to visit doctor.
I dont see me as strong person, just really want to be sober and change stuff. Actually a bit worried about weekend but I have a plan.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey CG.

Ahh sorry I missed your post where you said about the hepatitis. Sweetener in coffee is a good substitute? Good luck today . It's good you have a plan for the weekend but just remember to take it day by day, hour by hour if you need to and stay close to SR.