SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I have day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437608-i-have-day-1-a.html)

ConfusedGuy 04-06-2019 05:28 PM

I have day 1

It is now 03:15 Sunday morning. I now have a full day without any alcohol. So glad to be able to say this. I am detoxing myself and I am quite drowsy now. Cannot really sleep for several reasons, I have posted elsewhere a lot in last 24 hours. Everyone is so helpful here.
So glad I have this first 24 hours, I am going back to lay on sofa again because so drowsy. Feeling crap but want this so bad. So grateful for this forum.

suki44883 04-06-2019 05:32 PM

Congratulations! :You_Rock_

Hevyn 04-06-2019 05:34 PM

ConfusedGuy - That is something to be so proud of! Those first few days are rough, but you are determined & positive. Congratulations on your hard-earned Day One! Here comes Day Two. :)

Gettingcloser 04-06-2019 05:39 PM

Good for you, Confused. You sound very determined and that is what it takes. It is awesome that you are posting so much. Do whatever it takes.
Be vigilante. The toughest part is coming when you start to "feel better".
Stay close and post often just like you are doing now.

Anna 04-06-2019 05:47 PM

Good job!

I hope you are able to get some rest.

Ghostlight1 04-06-2019 05:47 PM

Great news! Good for you. Just take today. That's all we have. Then tomorrow do the same thing. It gets easier.
Best to you, my friend.

biminiblue 04-06-2019 06:00 PM

Well done, CG. One day at a time, yeah?

I had a lot of trouble sleeping in the first few weeks. Some days I'd sleep an hour and then I'd crash and sleep for 14. I just figured I was recovering from a life-threatening illness and I took it easy on myself.

Netflix and herbal tea and a warm blankie were my best friends. :hug:

...and ice cream.

least 04-06-2019 07:31 PM

Congrats on your first day sober! :) Keep going, it gets better. :)

PhoenixJ 04-06-2019 07:42 PM

good start

NerfThis 04-06-2019 08:15 PM

One of the reasons I never ever want another day one is because day one is the hardest, so congrats for getting through it! The problem with day one is the feeling that a drink will make the pain go away, but all it does is make the next day one even harder. Keep going!

listae 04-06-2019 08:27 PM

Congratulations!!!! I agree with Nerf; day 1 is the hardest. And you did it! :You_Rock_

Life does only get better! I drank heavily and daily for twenty-something years until I could no longer function in most aspects of my life. The first month, I was on SR 5-6 hours a day. I read books about alcoholism and recovery; I listened to podcasts; I found an addiction therapist; and I made it my full-time job.

You can do it too. My sleep still varies but I get such a powerful and better rest.

Like everyone said, welcome to SR. You're amongst fellow-travelers in recovery and friends.

Amanda05 04-06-2019 11:16 PM

Well done getting through day 1. I am also waking to Day 2, 7.15am in the UK. Feel relieved to wake and not feel hungover. Just made myself and my children a hot chocolate and have let them go on their iPads so that I can get some strength from you guys. Good luck with Day 2 and take care

snitch 04-07-2019 12:31 AM

Well done. Day 1 is the hardest and you NEVER have to do a day 1 again 😀 I can feel how much you want this !!

Take it easy, sleep when you need to, watch Netflix, eat, drink lots of water, hot tea. Stay close to SR. Pray! There is an acronym. H.A.L.T. never let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

Get your head on the pillow tonight sober. And then it will be 2 days. Make staying sober your primary purpose. And don't think about tomorrow. Tomorrow isn't here. Or next week ! Yeaterday has gone. Just for today. Just for today you can stay sober.

Proud of you confused guy!

Mcginnit 04-07-2019 12:40 AM

Proud of you

Originally Posted by ConfusedGuy (Post 7159384)
It is now 03:15 Sunday morning. I now have a full day without any alcohol. So glad to be able to say this. I am detoxing myself and I am quite drowsy now. Cannot really sleep for several reasons, I have posted elsewhere a lot in last 24 hours. Everyone is so helpful here.
So glad I have this first 24 hours, I am going back to lay on sofa again because so drowsy. Feeling crap but want this so bad. So grateful for this forum.

Im up too worrying about my daughter ... I’d give anything for her to want it even an ounce of how you do. You stay strong and know that gold isn’t gold til it’s put through the fire😉. This hard part will be awful, but it will then be over and you don’t have to go back! Yeah!!! Keep us posted ..

ConfusedGuy 04-07-2019 12:43 AM

Well done Amanda - so glad you got through!! - I only just woke up it is 10;23 here as I write. Cant believe I slept for hours. Drinking a lot of water, will have to go outside later to buy more drinking water, have about 2 litres remaining and that wont last me today. I opened the curtains in living room and the sun came in. Usually I keep them all closed all the time. And opened the windows for air even though it is not warm. I don't feel quite so bad as yesterday, feeling warmer. Still feel very shaky and fragile, then I am realising I was not drunk last night. aches in my sides are still there but not as bad. I plan to see a doctor in a few days when I am feeling better, bit scared about this to be honest but it has to be done, Also I know that i will get craving soon, but I am determined not to throw my first day away. Ive just drawn a big line through 6 April on my 'calendar' - I have put this on the wall by my laptop so it is always there looking back at me. Not sure what to do today - don't have lot of energy. I have some porridge oats with water, and some eggs in fridge. Will probably be enough food for today. cooking anything seems too much effort. Still very shaky. Thanks everyone for your posts. I really appreciate this. I also realise I threw all my drink out last week, for a moment I felt a bit like 'what have I done' like I somehow need it in the flat. Ive got so used to having a quick 'slug' to straighten out. Seems so strange without the bottles. I was hoping to clean a bit, but really not feeling well enough. It will have to wait. Also I should get some coffee and tea - I never buy these normally but it might be nice to wake up and have coffee (or tea!). Realising my life is so abnormal, seeing the sunlight come into the living-room is just nice! then I feel sad I have wasted so much of my life. I cannot go back to alcohol after this.

Kaily 04-07-2019 12:44 AM

You fought for it and won, great stuff. Onwards and upwards ConfusedGuy :)

Mummyto2 04-07-2019 01:02 AM

Well done, just rest and sip water, for me I just binged on Netflix or you tube to distract my mind from thinking, good luck you can do this

Dandelion12 04-07-2019 01:09 AM

You opened your curtains and let the light and air in!

Awesome, the fresh air and sun will help immensely in healing.

Somewhere inside you have realized what this was doing to your SOUL. It was unsustainable.

Heal your soul and your body will follow. No need to tense up and fear the doctor. Just keep taking the next healthy, positive action.

Temptations may come to test you, but they will only serve to make you stronger when you turn away from them.

Very happy for you this morning.

Blessings to you for your healing:)

snitch 04-07-2019 01:44 AM

Cleaning can wait.

Write a gratitude list

Could go something like this.

1. I am grateful to be sober today
2. I am grateful my curtains are open today to let the sun in
3. I am grateful to have fresh air coming into my room tosqy

..its the little things it really is. Alcoholism robs us of these things but the beauty of being sober is how much we appreciate them where others may take them for granted.

Try not to dwell too much on the past. I know it's easier said than done but we cannot change anything about the past. It is done. And sitting dwelling on the should nots and the what it's is a guaranteed excuse for an alcoholic to drink again. What matters is today! Whenever you find yourself dwelling about the past, sit quietly and say "I will not think about the past today. I will concentrate on today only and getting through this day sober".

That is all that matters at the moment. Everything else comes in time. All you need to be concerned about at the moment is staying away from that first drink.

ConfusedGuy 04-07-2019 02:58 AM

A list of things I am grateful for. And maybe pin it to my wall. Ok. I will try this, why not. I have just been out to buy drinking water. it is not far, glad I have done that because it just feels all too much energy. But yes there is a clear blue sky and the sun is out, the wind feels nice. Forgot to buy coffee. Its not so important. If I felt better it would be nice to sit in the park. going to go and lay down again, feeling drowsy and still sweating a lot, face is very red when I looked in mirror. Need a shave, but that too must wait. Felt grateful for the nice cool breeze outside, now Im back I suddenly feel very sad like I could just break down again. The breeze is like ''it's ok, everything is ok' - and then I suddenly sink into an empty pointless place. I know you understand. Thank you so much for being here.