Notices

Admitting there’s a problem

Old 04-08-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilyflower0 View Post
Hello all,

Today is the day I decided to finally say I have a problem and I don’t want to drink anymore.

Ive kept it a secret, but I have been drinking 5 nights a week for 5 months. It didn’t seem that long to me, but I noticed my one glass of wine turned to three a night. And I knew i would drink more if I didn’t have my two young kids at home. I also knew it was a problem because when I did get to go out without the kids, I would drink myself stupid (embarrassing) and not stop I never did know when I’ve “had enough” ever since I started at 14. I can’t turn down alcohol - if it’s there I will drink it.

I opened up and told my mom and husband today about how I’ve been feeling like a problem. They both think I’m just bored after the kids go To bed but I do not. They are supportive either way.

I’m hoping I’m able to get through this. I haven’t gone more than a night without a drink in a long time. Thanks for reading
This brings back memories. I remember the same dawning realization and the questioning: "Is there a problem here, or am I alarmed about nothing?" I suspect it starts like that for many of us, a point where we actually take time to consider that something isn't right, but we really aren't sure, so you bring the issue up to a friend. Mine immediately reassured me that I didn't have a problem. I took his comment under advisement so to speak, but realized his assurance was having little effect on me.

I struggled awhile more, and eventually went to AA, where I somewhat grudgingly adopted abstinence. Yes, grudgingly, but realizing this is what I had to do. And so I began the road to recovery. Oddly, after a month of sobriety, I told my friend I had quit. Instead of acting surprised. He expelled all the air from his lungs, as if he had been holding his breath since I told him I might have a problem. I'm not sure why he did that, but it put us both on the same page. He just accepted that I did have a problem, and that I had taken action to correct it. He was relieved.

We could make a whole thread about how each of us came to an understanding of our own problem with alcohol. It could be a beginnings of recovery thread. I just mention that because these beginnings are big steps for each of, steps that can change our lives.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Lily! How are you today?

A couple of things- because there is indeed a lot we learn and go through and change- as for kids, this child of a now recovering alcoholic can say that being sober is better for your kids in every way! The very start is something we pick up on- and since you are still putting them to bed, you have every chance to create a very different family life and childhood for them. I promise.

Calm and ease of doing every day stuff is also something that is so weirdly awesome- and astounding at first, right?! Stopping to appreciate at it "even" now at a few yrs in still amazes me. And I can also promise you, like I did above, that soooo many more things will amaze you.

You are showing such a willingness to change your life- seizing on that is really the thing! My husband was the dad, boss, husband, etc who had the "normal life" - I had the crazy careening alcoholic version - and my third promise to you is that it's tougher on my step kids to unravel stuff now, from the version their alcoholic parents had thru their teens, but it's possible. You don't have to wait for that version of a story, though.

Glad you are here.