Notices

Questions about detoxing.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Questions about detoxing.

I posted at another thread I am in my first day without alcohol. I am serious about this and in just under 7 hours I will make 1 day. I am so grateful for all the support I am getting here, but I have a couple of questions, I know you are not doctors and cannot give medical advice.

I have found some vitamin pills in cupboard, is it a good idea to take some ? - or should I give my body a rest from everything. (I bought them a long time back when i wasn't eating but hardly used them).

Is it okay to eat chocolate and crisps and stuff. I dont have energy to
prepare anything. I have plenty of food in. Or should I only eat healthy things like fruit and 'proper' food while I detox. I do have porridge oats, I don't want to make myself sicker than I am.

Both my sides ache a bit. I am worried it is kidneys and liver. Once I have a week or more without alcohol I will go see a doctor - I am too scared of this right now as I posted elsewhere. Worst ache is on left side but both sides are a bit tender. Liver I think is on other side (?), so maybe is not so bad. I am wondering if I should maybe go see doctor sooner. I know it is good to see one eventually but maybe I am just over-worrying this.

Thank you for any directions here.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Over-thinking is really par for the course in early days. The brain which used to be quieted by the sedative of alcohol is now in a bit of hyperactivity/rebound effect.

Just do what feels right to you as far as food. I ate a lot of good healthy food and I also indulged in quite a lot of sweets. The better the food, the healthier the body, so there's that.

Vitamins have to be processed by the liver. I took a multivitamin, but I only take them three times a week anyway. No way to know how you would get on with that. You say you "found" some in a cupboard? If you didn't buy them yourself, make sure they aren't expired. My doctor told me vitamins are a waste of money, so who knows?

The over-thinking and anxiety is pretty uncomfortable in that early part of sobriety. I tried to stay busy, get some exercise and sleep whenever I could.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I detoxed at the hospital and I'm very glad I did! There is I was told a danger to detoxing from alcohol on your own but the largest reason was seeing a psychiatrist in my case PTSD was a driving force for me to start with alcohol but the alcohol soon took over. The anti psychotic meds he put me on for sixty days helped change my life. With the help of a PTSD therapist and a addiction therapist and AA I was able to go off the anti psychotic meds in the sixty days and continue on my recovery. I'm not sure I would have had the success as fast trying to deal with the demons in my head and trying to attain soberity at the same time. The meds cleared my head in hours.........
Old 04-06-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I ate light healthy food ( yogurt, broth, banana etc.) until I felt like eating and I did take vitamins and took epsom salt baths.

Be kind to yourself, youll get through this
Old 04-06-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just ate some porridge oats with water and a tin of red-beans. I just open the can and eat them with a spoon. now I am feeling so tired and cold. maybe cold because Im not eating much lately. I have heating up high today in my apartment but I seem to be getting colder. But ther radiators are hot so I know its me. Im sitting now in front of my laptop wrapped in a duvet feeling shaky and keep nodding off. I dont want to go lay down yet, my heart is thumping a lot. I was watching a video but I cannot concentrate on this, I might start it again. I just want to keep awake for another 5 hours until 03:00
so I can post '1 day sober'
Old 04-06-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you think you should go and see a doctor, ConfusedGuy? Shaking and being cold and having a high heart rate could be a serious medical issue...

Detoxing with some inexpensive meds for few days is so much safer and more comfortable. You can always call an emergency number and they can send someone to you (like an ambulance.)
Old 04-06-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont know how much you were drinking, and I dont want to escalate the situation, so I'll just again remind you to keep your phone charged and near you in case you need help at some point.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A good vitamin would help. When I was in detox at the hospital, was given vitamins, and a prescription upon discharge. The body gets depleted of several vitamins with alcohol use. But advice is see a doctor if you can.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Biminiblue - I have had the heart thing before when I have tried detoxing. It also happens sometimes if I wake up in the early hours. I guess its just part of this for me, maybe others? I dont know. It will pass by I am sure. Ive really finished now with drink (I joined this site, getting lot of support - I have a plan for next few days, trying my best to cope, maybe drink is having one last kick at me! )
Also, where I live (in russia) I really dont think that they would send out, maybe in america ? I don't know. There is an 'Apoteka' (pharmacist) open all night within a short walk of my building. I might try to get maybe some sleeping pills so I dont keep waking up, but not tonight - I just dont have any energy.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ah, I see - Russia. Yeah, high blood pressure/rapid heart rate is common during withdrawal and detox. That's one reason why meds are prescribed. I went through that too. It's scary.

Those 3AM floppy heart things after drinking are what finally scared me enough to make me quit.

I hope you make it safely through.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please be careful of your situation, ConfusedGuy and be prepared to go an Emergency Hospital if things worsen. Detoxing from alcohol is unpredictable and can be dangerous. I hope you are okay.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks. I have my phone charged, also i have my alarm on for 03:00 so I can post 1 day sober on here in a few hours (it is 23:07 now). I am going to lay down on sofa now with duvet because I feel so tired. So wanting to post '1 day sober'. So grateful for all the support here, don't know if I could do this without you.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Confused guy, eat anything and everything your heart desires. Food and hydration is what will save you. You are likely to feel quite uncomfortable over the next 72 hours, but it will subside.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We are definitely cheering you on. Shoulder to shoulder, together we fight. Hang on!
Old 04-06-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Some vitamin B Thiamin pills should help you especially if you have not eaten properly for a while.

Dont worry about what you eating at this point just concentrate on getting through the withdraws and keeping sober.

Goid luck and keep trying 👍🏻
Old 04-06-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys remember that over the counter meds are covered under our no medical advice rule.

Apart from anything else vitamins can sometimes interfere with other meds we're taking.

Please try and remember that we should share our experience rather than telling people what to do.

I realise you want answers CG but this may not be the best place to get the answers you need - I also think you need to see a Dr just to be safe.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-06-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Great job on taking the first action in changing your life!

For awhile your head and body will be all over the map. As mentioned above, don't overthink things. Just don't go back to alcohol and drinking lots of water helps. Sugar should actually help you feel better. Your body is used to lot of sugar because that what your body breaks the alcohol into so eating sweets is not a bad thing at all. Just go with the flow and ride things out. It will probably take many days to feel much better and honestly probably many months before you start to feel like your old self again. Important to stick it out because it's very much worth it in the end.

I would also recommend AA meetings because just not drinking is only a small part of the issue. AA will help you work on the rest and get you on the path to a happy life again!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Some vitamin B Thiamin pills should help you especially if you have not eaten properly for a while.

Dont worry about what you eating at this point just concentrate on getting through the withdraws and keeping sober.

Goid luck and keep trying 👍🏻
The body absorbs very little of B vitamins, moreso than any other. I had been taking a complex B vitamin and I was still deficient. After discussing with a Dr, he claimed you could correct this, as well as help repair the liver, by taking a something called Choline, which doesn't get filtered out by the liver. I started taking that in addition to all my other stuff and the last blood test showed noticeable improvement.

Vitamins certainly aren't worthless, but they are to drinkers or if your body can't absorb them.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for advice. Bit confused about taking any pills now. I will wait until I see a doctor next week. I am still so shaky and not in good way, but better than yesterday. In a few days I will go see a doctor. I got day 1 - I posted elsewhere. Apart from physical issues my mind feels scrambled so Im just going to keep the day as simple as I can. Sounds stupid but I am 'missing' my bottles that I threw out last week. They were always there in the morning. Now they are gone. I am just grateful for this forum. I shall get some oats and water and stay indoors. Thank you for advice on vitamins - I will wait until I see doctor before I take any vitamins. I have some I bought a long time ago, when I was not eating much. But they never been used.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

CG you will be tired. Your body will begin repairing itself and using your energy for that

If you find yourself extremely tired and lacking in energy its OK to rest, take it easy and allow yourself time to be a bit lethargic until you see your doctor.

just take care of yourself