Notices

Weekender Thread 05 - 08 April 2019

Old 04-07-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

I have an update from yesterday!

Last night I went to a restaurant and lounge because they were advertising a $23.99 steak and lobster meal. Upon reading some reviews online I found out they also have karaoke on Saturday nights.

The restaurant itself was a dingy hole in the wall. The clientele leaned towards blue collar working class. No joke, the median age of the patrons was probably about 55 years old (I am 40 myself). I take a seat at a table while some lady was singing "Sweet Caroline" terribly.

My all inclusive meal for $23.99: steak and lobster with soup, salad, baked potato, vegetables, and dessert!!! The food itself was amazing and no frills. The waitress was rude to me. This is very much a shut up and eat your damn food type of establishment. I was the only person eating and my table had an unobstructed view of the karaoke stage. I was loving every second of it!

After the lady finished singing, a 100 year old guy went on stage and sang "My Way".

The absolute highlight occurred while I was having dessert. A couple in their 50s went on stage and sang "Summer Nights" from the movie Grease. They killed it! When they finished they received a rousing ovation which was absolutely deserved.

I had a lot of fun and no I didn't sing. They will be getting a return visit from me in the future!
Old 04-07-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of wisdom and support today, boy did I need it.
Had some really dodgy AV moments for last week or so but I am holding on for dear life, it will hopefully pass.

Love the picture of the Deer 'hiding'in the shrub MesaMan.

Hows this for a tree..

The Ankerwycke yew stands in a water meadow on the flood plain of the River Thames. Its trunk measures 8m (26ft). This tree is thought to be more than 1,400 years old and is said to stand on the exact spot where King John signed the Magna Carta in 1215.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

That sounds like a great Saturday dinner and entertainment, WTN. Reminds me of an old tavern in Nevada I used to love.

Kaily, that Yew tree is really something!

The thoughts of drinking get fewer and further between with time. They don't go away completely, so I just talk back to them. "Thanks for piping up, I don't drink." Then they slink away into the dark underworld from whence they came.

It will never be time for a drink for me, ever again. I can't even allow thoughts about how that would end for me. I don't play it through, I shut it down.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Wow WeThinkNot, sounds like a plot for a sitcom, glad you had a good time, it sounds great.

Thanks Bimi, today was the closest I have been to drinking for a while. It scared and tempted me all at once. I am over 5 months sober, gonna have to up my game!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post

After the lady finished singing, a 100 year old guy went on stage and sang "My Way".
At my favorite bar I use to frequent, they had karaoke a couple times a week. There was an old guy, 70ish, who would come and always do Sinatra. He was awesome...you'd never picture that voice coming from this guy, but you could barely tell the difference between him and Frank, \\
Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Magsie

WTN, sounds like a delicious meal while being entertained! a good evening out.

Kaily, that tree, Wow! It’s anazing. The history it knows...... if it could speak!

abgator, I like Sinatra, it must have been good to hear someone singing just like him!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Yes the tree does look amazing. I have never seen it in real life but would love to. It's only about an hours drive from home so I might go.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Magsie

It looks well worth a trip Kaily. I just checked it out and there’s a river and remains of a Benedictine priory. (You probably know this already )
Hard to believe a tree can live that long. How amazing!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Thinking of MB and hoping all is well with her.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

And maybe some squirrels for the dogs.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That sounds like a great evening WeThinkNot and all the better for not drinking during it.

If I didn't know there were deer hiding in that long grass in Mesa's pic I doubt if I would have spotted them. The big bucks cannot have had too many natural predators.

I hope that the walk did the trick Kaily. That Ankerwyke yew tree is really impressive. There is another one, also a yew tree, in a place called Totteridge in north London. It's near where my sister and BIL used to live. I'm sure it is supposed to be London's oldes tree or something.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:18 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Thanks Saoutchik.

Totteridge isn't far from me at all, I will have a look.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Here we go:-

https://londonist.com/london/great-o...-s-oldest-tree
Old 04-07-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Love the trees ❤️
Old 04-07-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Behold!

The >5,000 Year old Bristlecone Pine. Seen some up close. The veritable Keith Richards of the Tree World...

~ The World's 10 Oldest Living Trees ~
Old 04-07-2019, 09:53 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Magsie

Oh my! All these fantastic trees! What a site to see. Thanks from me too, Saou , Mesa and Kaily,

Midnight hope you’re doing ok.

Monday morning, my clock said ‘pre-dawn’ when I got up, it’s now on morning, so I guess this is a respectable time to get up in a morning.

Have a good day guys, see you later
Old 04-07-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Ready for my trip tomorrow! All packed up and a little nervous of the long travels...but looking forward to it nonetheless.

Day one for me
Old 04-07-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great pics! Thanks guys.

To think I used to have to deal with Monday mornings hungover and full of regrets.Urgh! I hope everyone comes through this weekend without indulging.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Magsie

NicLin, have a good trip. Sorry you slipped, days 1’s can be difficult, and if you want to, this can be your last day 1.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Morning,

It's a bit wet n miserable today, never mind the gardens will love it.

Gonna try and get my hair cut today. Something I don't enjoy, sitting in front of a mirror making small talk with a stranger, maybe I will leave it till tomorrow..