Notices

Should I worry??

Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I worry??

Hey guys it's been a long time since I've posted anything on here. But here is my situation and I feel worried about trying to get sober. The last 2.5 years I've been drinking about 4-5 days a week with a girlfriend I had. I was sipping stiff vodka sodas most of the time and beer, about 4-6 drinks per night. I would definitely get drunk, but not falling down drunk. Just so much as to pass out and not remember what happened the previous night. This went on for a long time. Well, 3 weeks ago I broke up with my girl and I fell into depression and start drinking every night for 17 days straight, and getting really drunk and blacking out. Well, I woke up last Thursdays morning feeling horrible and disgusted with myself and decided to quit. But not cold Turkey as I've read it can have severe consequences. So the following night on Friday I decided to just have 3 light beers, then 2 on Saturday, and 1 on Sunday. During this weekend, when I didn't have a drink until night time I had really bad headaches and sweating. My mind was foggy and I couldn't think straight at times. But as soon as I had my first drink it went away.

so, on Monday I decided to fight it out and not drink at all. I did okay but I was in pain and managed to fall asleep, but woke up every hour with the sweats, high BP, and elevated heart rate. So then on Tuesday I was still in a bit of pain and nausea. I ended up having a light beer to sooth the symptoms it kinda worked. Now come today Wednesday, 10:55 PM PST I'm in bed with a pounding headache BP 150/93 normal heart rate, and I'm worried my symptoms will get worse.

I know you guys are not doctors and can't give advice, but I was just wondering if this is normal withdrawal that I'm going through. I keep thinking I should go to the ER, because what I've read on the internet that seizures are a common withdrawal symptom. And I'm afraid of having one.

has anyone gone through withdrawal without medical attention?

I'd like to hear you stories.

I will go for a walk now to see if I can clear my head.

thanks all!

Last edited by watnow78; 04-03-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: My stupidity
Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi watnow, sorry you are feeling so rough.

Absolutely you should go to the ER and get checked out, don't hesitate. The folks there are there to help you and they will.

Much better to be safe about it than to struggle through as you have been doing. Please update us when you can.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people are fine. Some are not.
None of us can tell which camp you're in.

On behalf of all of us who don't see anyone and had it end badly, I say it never hurts to get some professional advice.

Go see a Dr watnow - its the safest alternative.

D
Old 04-04-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Waking up this morning I feel a little better. I still have a small headache bit no more sweating. I checked my BP and its 128/85, so I'm in range sorta. Hopefully this will pass in the next day or two and I'll be on my way to recovery. I've had enough of this and having been broken up with my ex was my final draw. Not that we broke up because of drinking but it sure as hell didn't help our relationship.

any advice on what to do for the headaches?

thanks
Old 04-04-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

glad to hear you are feeling better today wantow. Headaches can be caused by literally just about anything, so your best bet is to make sure your general health is OK if you have concerns. And the best way to do that would be to see a doctor - it's a good idea to get a basic checkup once a year anyway - and now would be an even better time with the removal of alcohol from your life.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd suggest seeing your doctor, or an ER. Best to be safe. Withdrawal is unpredictable.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Firstly, so sorry to hear of your suffering and I really hope that things work out safely and well for you.

I think it's quite obvious from the replies of others, far more esteemed than myself, that it can do no harm to seek medical advice.

I'm sure many people have been in the same situation, have had the same symptoms, but their experience and outcome may differ from yours.

Better to be safe than sorry - there's absolutely no harm in getting checked out and having a once over.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you're doing pretty good. Make sure you stay well hydrated,
eat well and rest as much as possible. It's great that you're keeping close watch on the BP. Stay clean and be patient. Your body is created to heal so use common sense. I'm approaching 12 months.

Congrats on making a terrific decision!
All the best!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hey guys so it's the beginning of day 3 since I've had my last drink. 5pm today will complete 72 hours of sobriety. Got up this morning and went to the kitchen and saw all the bottles of booze in my cabinet and on my counter. I had ZERO feeling or urge to touch them, even though I've never drank at home as I would always go out to bars.

last night was a little rough as I had strong headaches for hours and had high blood pressure again. A family member that I am staying with had given me .5 of Lorazapam to calm my nerves. Also I've read Benzos help with reducing the risk of seizures, and Lorazepam is generic for Benzos. This did help me sleep a bit though the night.

I'm just not sure when I will be out of the danger zone for possible seizures, so I'll continue to take Lorazepam for another 2-3days.

I dont feel like drinking or crave it at all. When I see the bottles in my kitchen it makes want to vomit. I hope the worst of my withdrawal is coming to an end.

okay time for some eggs, bacon, and hash potatoes. Good day all.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lorazepam is Ativan.

Use caution with ANY Benzo. Benzo detox also causes seizures. Just FYI

Glad youre feeling better
Old 04-05-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dandelion12 View Post
Lorazepam is Ativan.

that's what I've read. But I'm only taking .5 twice a day. Morning and night. I've looked all over Google to find what the normal dosage is, but no luck. So I'll take the least amount.

thanks
Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dandelion12 View Post
Lorazepam is Ativan.

that's what I've read. But I'm only taking .5 twice a day. Morning and night. I've looked all over Google to find what the normal dosage is, but no luck. So I'll take the least amount.

thanks
Old 04-05-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes stop them as soon as you can.

If you havent gone through benzo withdrawal you truly dont know what hell is.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 3 watnow.
If it were me I'd get rid of the bottles anyway., Make a statement.

Just a reminder to everyone reading on our medical advice rule - experience only please, shy away from recommendations.

'This is what I did', not 'this is what you should do'

Thanks
D