Notices

I'm making it happen.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm making it happen.

Some of you may know that I've been struggling lately mentally and emotionally with something. I don't know what it is. All I can say is that my life felt like it mimicked the song TIME by Pink Floyd. One day all is well with your whole life ahead of you, next thing you know your on the backside of the mountain going downhill.

So with this in mind I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and get going. I started doing some things on Saturday. Today is Wednesday and I have a full time job lined up in two weeks, I am hosting open houses every weekend, and have some potential other options coming my way.

I really think my trip to the Phillipines spurred this train of thought. I got tired of waiting to die (at least that was my attitude). I have a lot of life left. I'm a young 51 years old. I don't mean to say that in a bragging way, but I can still train at the gym with teenagers and talk with college kids like I was still in college. I want make some things happen in the next 10 years and I've decided to get off my butt and do it.

Wouldn't even attempt this when drinking. Sobriety has its advantages.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear it Jeff, you will go far.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, you sound so good. It's wonderful to hear you sound positive about the future. And, good for you for making things happen. We can't just sit around and wait, can we!
Old 04-03-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go get um tiger!
Old 04-03-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really inspirational.

Im coming out of a lot of datkness. Great to hear a positive attitude!
Old 04-03-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dandelion12 View Post
Really inspirational.

Im coming out of a lot of datkness. Great to hear a positive attitude!
The darkness can be paralyzing. I realized in the Philippines that there is a whole world out there waiting to be experienced. Changed my perspective.

Wishing you the best going forward.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FYI, it doesn't escape me that I've gone through some "re-sets" on this forum before. Is this that much different? I can't say, all I can say is that (speaking for myself only) I have a choice to do the bare minimum or get out and tackle the world. I like the ladder. My younger years taught to gravitate towards risk and excitement. But I'm older now and I know better.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're looking to the future again Jeff

D
Old 04-03-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I enjoy reading when somebody is tracking well on sobriety as well as handling the things in life that need attention. I am trying to do the same. Onward ...
Old 04-03-2019, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad things are going well for you! I hope you like the new job you’re starting with soon
Old 04-03-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I turned 48 this past August and took it pretty hard. Felt like you say, I was waiting to die. I was drinking pretty heavily at the time so was in a dark place. But, I'm not dead yet. Still got a lot of fire in me and things to do. Stopped drinking, started exercising again (I've always been fit and I respond quickly to it) and put a plan in place for my 2nd act. Feeling very good about it and my future. And I'm giving it my all without being held back by booze.

51 ? Hell, you're just getting started man. Go do it. Whatever it is.

We ain't dead yet!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So great to hear from you and see your positive attitude! 50 is the new 30!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome!

I love this attitude.

It's absurd how I never valued life at all when I was younger and thought I just wanted to be DONE with it by the time I was x years old.

And the years pass and I'm still here, so I want to make the most of it!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have lost the last decade of my life so I think I know how you feel. I am just waiting to die myself. At least, that is my attitude right now, but I know alcoholism brings such hopelessness. Before I give up, I will at least try to live in recovery.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A winning attitude, Jeff! Great !
Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great going, Jeff!
I'm with you - I'm 55, and for a while there I figured I'd just live out the rest of my life in a boring state of sameness, and it was a very depressing thought. But then I started looking around at folks older than me (including my mom) who were still active and doing all sorts of cool stuff. And I thought, "why not me?" I can still do probably 90% of the things I could have done when younger, but didn't, due to drinking and other factors. So yeah, I'm getting out there and doing things I have always wanted to do, and also just enjoying the fact that I'm healthy and able to do the everyday things, too. Not everyone is able to.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The waiting to die attitude is an easy trap to fall into. I have no advice for those who feel that way, but I will share with you what I did. I have an unconventional background. My life has not been corporate cush job with the a marriage to the high school prom queen, the A-frame house, white picket fence and 2 kids and a dog. I will never have that. Ever. (To make matters worse, my brother and my parents have that exact life) I had to re-evaluate my life going forward.

I hope all of you that feel like you are simply waiting to die can formulate a plan and move out of that train of thought. We ALL have special talents and are to be appreciated by others. We may feel worthless, but we are not.

I know that there are many people in this forum that are much more "worldly" than myself, but I am hoping it doesn't dim the message. The message is this "big world out there, if you want to see it, you can" And its pretty awesome IMO.

Laying in bed hungover will never make it happen.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is good

I went to the Philippines and experienced some things that will stay with me for life. Good things. In fact, great things.

Prayer: God/Great Spirit/Higher Power,
Grant me eyes to see, ears to hear and strength to embrace the goodness of life.

It's okay to feel joy and pain at the same time. Eventually pain gets worked through and the habit of looking for the good and enjoying the heck out of it becomes natural.

One day at a time.