Notices

Day 13 bit of a wobble

Old 04-02-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13 bit of a wobble

Was vaping all day yesterday but bought some cigarettes today.

Thought about having a drink today a bit of a wobble but thought could I handle the hangover, anxiety, Deppression, shame and bad consequences? The answer loud and clear was NO!!!!

Bought some BA beer and have had 2 cans. It is a tool for me to get past wobbles.

I have had way to much misery with alcohol that I just don’t think I can survive another relapse.

i am making good progress this is a good run for me.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stable
are you doing anything else for your recovery but posting here?

D
Old 04-02-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

I presume you meant N/A beer. Sounds like N/A beer has not been a good tool for you to get past "wobbles" in the past if you are on day 13. I would HIGHLY recommend staying away from any sort of beer. In my group they consider it a relapse if you drink N/A beer. The reason is that Alcoholism has nothing to do with your drinking but rather your thinking. You are resorting back to a behavior that will lead you right back down to the bottom of the hole you are working your way out of. You can go down that hole if you are drinking or not.

Are you a program like AA? If not you should be and if so than you should be working with a sponsor who can help you understand the Big Book and the program. Get to working those steps and you won't feel the need to even want N/A beer anymore.

By the way, it will also help if you call a wobble what it really is, a relapse. Sugar coating something doesn't change what it is.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So he didn't drink alcohol but he relapsed? I think this is why people shy away from AA.

I get what you are saying and NA beer possibly is a gateway to drinking but the fact of the matter is he did not drink in the face of intense craving which happens often early.

What you said wasn't off just the way it came across IMO.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA so I dunno about relapsing on NA beer but to be fair - and I've said this to Stable before - substituting NA beer for real beer bought me back to real beer because I had all the behaviours of drinking real beer but none of the buzz.

What people do is their choice, but I don't recommend it and never have.

when people are being firm in their beliefs its generally from experience not from a desire to be a jerk

D
Old 04-02-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get it. But it still came across as harsh. IMO. Someones gospel is not everyones.

I've said my peace and as someone who is working towards experience, I will shut it and stick to the monthly thread.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
So he didn't drink alcohol but he relapsed? I think this is why people shy away from AA.

I get what you are saying and NA beer possibly is a gateway to drinking but the fact of the matter is he did not drink in the face of intense craving which happens often early.

What you said wasn't off just the way it came across IMO.
In my sponsorship line than yes, that would be a relapse. I know not everyone agrees with that by any means but it has helped keep a lot of people I know sober. This is not necessarily an AA thing but it's thing in my sponsorship line. By the way, this has been beaten into the ground around there but N/A drinks do have alcohol in them. I won't argue percentages but the fact is they do.

Drinking the N/A beer is an incredibly short step away from going to the full blown stuff. The point is that the action is the problem, not necessarily what was drank. When things started to go South he ran right back to the one thing that allows the world make sense again... beer in this case. N/A or not. He deals with his problems with a drink and getting better means you can't take that action anymore.

I appreciate your candor in regards to my commit. I have very limited time to read this site and post things sometimes so when I do post it tends to be very blunt and to the point.... at least that's what I shoot for. But sometimes I might just sound like a pompous a**! ; )
Old 04-02-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All good. I appreciate you taking the time to thoughtfully respond. Your heart is in a great place and we appreciate you looking out.

I personally could never stand the taste of NA beer and figured what is the point as I drank to chase a buzz.

I could see it being a security blanket of sorts and a step away from drinking for real.

I apologize if I overstepped.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
So he didn't drink alcohol but he relapsed?
i used to smoke crack. found me some non crack crack and smoked it.
not a relapse and not a problem? just a "wobble?"
Old 04-03-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don’t drink near beer because I don’t want to be near sober.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Live and let live is the AA motto that sometimes takes a beating. For me, I drink N/A beer which literally has 0.0% alcohol. I can only drink so much water, seltzer and diluted juice. I may buy a 6 pack and it will last me 2-3 weeks. I don't hide this from my sponsor. Some people may not be able to do this. I understand and pass no judgment. People have to figure out what works for them. I don't share this info at meetings because I don't want the eye-rolling and judgment from others. I am not drinking it to remind me of the good ole days.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

sorry, but near beer is NOT literally 0.0%.
Genesee N/A: 0.05%
Beck’s Non-Alcoholic beer: 0.3% ABV
Clausthaler Golden Amber: 0.3%
Sharp’s: 0.4%
Old Milwaukee Non-Alcoholic: 0.4%
Clausthaler Premium: 0.45%
Kaliber: 0.5%
Molson Exel: 0.5%
Pauli Girl N.A.: 0.5%

while the amounts are minimal, to claim that one is not consuming ANY amounts of alcohol is false.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Heineken is 0.0%. There is one other I know of but can't think of at the moment. In the near future, there are supposed to be several more on the market. Otherwise, I agree with your statement.