Notices

Awaiting Lab Results

Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Awaiting Lab Results

I am honestly nervous while I wait for labs to come back.

My liver enzymes were high and so was my blood pressure and my cholesterol (that's expected as I got off of it to see about the liver).

My doctor is great, very thorough and ordered more scary labs for today and an abdominal ultrasound. I didn't like getting that stuff done.

I am practicing mindfulness and trying to remain calm, and I hope everything comes back ok, or at least manageable. I'm 34 and don't want to have any damage, or something be too late.

I have no desire to drink at all, I just keep thinking about my health. I am the kind of person who takes her vitamins, eats superfoods and juices regularly and runs and works out. My only toxic thing was my drinking, and I for sure do not want to suffer because of something I could control.

Hopeful!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think those kind of results are to be expected early on. Stay sober and live healthy and your next results should be much better

D
Old 04-02-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had some poor lab results in the past, including some that put me on medication for a while. Things go back to normal ranges for many or most of us when we have been off the booze for a time. Just keep up your healthy life, and your body will do all it can to go back to where it needs to be.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Boy do I relate, Nic!!! And, it was terrifying for me to finalllllly get all the tests I needed. I knew I was in near fatal territory. I'm reallllly proud of you for taking that leap. I had to accept that since I was going to stay sober, the only way I could deal with my physical health was to know what was what.

We each respond differently and folks will share quite different experiences (sometimes surprising) on what damage we did to ourselves. I can only tell you IME, somehow, I was still just shy of cirrhosis (and of course, deficient in B vitamin levels and potassium, to name two) when I finally quit- my new liver dr gave me a yr, 18 mo if I didn't quit, before he even examined me, that's how far gone I was....and when I retested around 90-100 days, I was astounded that everything had normalized.

Now, at 42 1/2 and 3+ yrs sober, I deal with pretty normal stuff for my age, like maintaining my thyroid level.

Keep us posted- and you already know that staying sober permanently is the only way to keep supporting your good health.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The great news is that the liver can heal. Also, some people might have high numbers but no damage once they give it a break. I got some high results from taking aspirin, ibuprofen and having beers most nights. About 2 weeks of no drinking and I felt so much better. My numbers weren't too high but def had fatty liver.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on tackling that hard and scary part of early recovery. Finding out where you stand by talking to your doctor is a great plan. I do hope your results come back with good news.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone.

I got my results today and although my cholesterol is through the roof and climbing (which is to be expected since my Doc took me off of it to check the effects on the liver), all of my other lab work and ultrasound came back perfect!!!

My bilirubin is below the average and my body, in the past weeks of cutting back on the drinking and quitting completely 6 days ago, has completely restored itself! I am so happy I jumped around my house with my dog.

I have a clean bill of health to travel and I have been 100% honest with my doctor that I know it was the drinking. She said that I should keep doing what I am doing and to maintain a healthy lifestyle and we will check back in 3 months.

I am treating this as my second chance, my clean slate to have the healthy, pure and great life I have always dreamed of having. I am more motivated than ever and am amazed at what just 6 days of sobriety changed within me. And I never want to feel that fear again.

Moving on, and MOVING UP!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Outstanding!! Very happy for you!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NicLin View Post

I got my results today and although my cholesterol is through the roof and climbing (which is to be expected since my Doc took me off of it to check the effects on the liver), all of my other lab work and ultrasound came back perfect!!!

My bilirubin is below the average and my body, in the past weeks of cutting back on the drinking and quitting completely 6 days ago, has completely restored itself! I am so happy I jumped around my house with my dog.

I have a clean bill of health to travel and I have been 100% honest with my doctor that I know it was the drinking. She said that I should keep doing what I am doing and to maintain a healthy lifestyle and we will check back in 3 months.

I am treating this as my second chance, my clean slate to have the healthy, pure and great life I have always dreamed of having. I am more motivated than ever and am amazed at what just 6 days of sobriety changed within me. And I never want to feel that fear again.

The liver is pretty amazing organ. It can take a pounding and come back. Also, congrats and keep it up.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

So glad your test look good NicLin and to hear you so determined to make the best of this one life...awesome!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Run with that second chance NicLin

D
Old 04-03-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ugh, I feel so stupid. I was elated from my tests and then had a moment of weakness and drank.

I am back at Day ONE and I am pissed at myself. I really was feeling great. I know it is a process and that I should not have felt it was ok.

Back at it.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So often I see how people react to their test results. Either its terrible so it doesn't matter anymore I'm just going to continue to drink. Or YAY its good so I'm not bad off so its OK to continue to drink.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is exactly why I didn’t get tests done until I had some firm sobriety. I knew my alcoholic mind would say “see, look, all better - have a drink.” I put my faith in the program of AA and just focused on staying sober and working the steps. Straightened out spiritually which led to mental and physical health.

I know a guy who came in with some beat up organs. Stayed sober for 4 months, went out and drank for a week and died of kidney failure. This disease is brutal and deadly.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ugh, I feel so stupid. I was elated from my tests and then had a moment of weakness and drank.

I am back at Day ONE and I am pissed at myself. I really was feeling great. I know it is a process and that I should not have felt it was ok.

Back at it.
You made a mistake and underestimate your inner addict - most of us did too.

You got good results - thats great - but it's not like you have superhero invulnerability here - none of us do - if you continue to drink the chances increase that one day those tests may not come back so well.

The AV doesn't think of consequences. it can't - it's basic, it's reactive and it's all about the now.

We can think at a more advanced holistic and long range level.
Use that NicLin

D
Old 04-04-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Run with that second chance NicLin

D
THAT!!! So glad to hear your news NicLin - please do take this as the one last chance to never have that fear of permanent damage because of drinking, ever again.

Keep going - proud of you!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey NicLin. I see we are the same age! Prob a good time for both of us to quit... Hope you're doing ok.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

quitting because of some person, place or thing rarely lasts long. it is only when we commit to not drinking at all ever because we concede defeat with alcohol that the foundation of recovery is laid.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am on my Day 1 after a few days and just collapsing mentally and emotionally.
I am currently in the process of filing my divorce papers and I was not able to handle that pain in the way I should have....sober.
I am committed again to getting sober and healthy, I was so happy.
Tetrax, good see we are in this together at this stage in our lives. Hope everyone is doing great, I am going to keep trekking along.
I think that I just got so comfortable with being in pain, that I wanted to feel that again. Strange huh that happiness is out of my comfort zone, I want to be there permanently.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don’t post to many people. Sorry to hear you drank.. All I can say is your results won’t always be perfect if you continue to drink. Sorry to hear about your divorce. You could have neurological damage which wasn’t showing up yet. You sound strong and determined. I know you can do this. Prayers.