Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Any tips to stay dry when house/flat/roommates are drinking all night?

Notices

Old 03-31-2019, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I could use some.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tetrax - could you go out for a while. Maybe some exercise then when you return home you’ll be in a different frame of mind ?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fair enough but I'm talking about the early hours. It's a lot weirder to be running at 3am than drinking at 3am in this town...
Old 04-01-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tetrax,

I would look around and use it as a motivation to get myself healthy with the goal of getting out to your own place where you have contol of your environment.

Living with others can be maddening in the best of circumstances.

Surely an environment where you can create a serene place to deal with issues would be an awesome thing for you?
Old 04-01-2019, 01:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that people drinking can be loud. Maybe some ear plugs might be a good investment to help cover up the noise so you can rest in the future. Motorcycle shops sometime carry these items for riders, or your local chemist shop might be another.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Fair enough but I'm talking about the early hours. It's a lot weirder to be running at 3am than drinking at 3am in this town...
Thats a fair one! Sober or not you wouldn’t catch me running anywhere at that time! What about going to bed lol !
Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

A good pair of noise reducing headsets! And a mini fridge full of snacks and water.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I guess try to make yourself comfortable in your bedroom and use earplugs or listen to music, with the door firmly shut and locked if possible.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Locked door, noise cancelling headphones and music or a fan running - and a plan as soon as possible to change your living arrangement. I can just feel the anxiety you must be experiencing in that situation. I would not be able to handle it for long. Is there any possible way to lay down some rules for your flat mates? No drinking/noise after a certain time? I know that might not be easy to do.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tetrax

my advice would be stop thinking about this as an impossible situation.

If you can't move you're going to have to figure out ways to stay sober where you are.

There's a;ways a party going on here in my complex. I could join in anytime.

I'm three minutes away from an off licence myself, a bowls club just across the road, 5 mins from a bar and probably 7 mins right or left for a pub..

I don't do any of those things because I accept I'm an alcoholic and I know where drinking takes me.

The same stubbornness that kept me drinking way past the point of reason now helps me stay sober.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-01-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had to own MY actions and choose to not drink no matter what was going on. I really spiraled after a breakup and used that as an excuse for a while. Turns out, it wasn't the break up that had me drinking, it was ME that chose to drink and drink I did! Once I accepted personal ownership of what I do things got a lot simpler.

I've also never really been one for excuses in any aspect of my life..more of a "if you don't like it **** off." Kinda guy, so it felt VERY odd to be 'all the sudden' making excuses/placing blame on people/places/things for MY choices and actions. I became a person I normally would not like nor hangout with..

Own your stuff.