Notices

First night without a drink

Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Wurzel. Thanks for asking. Its early morning here. I got 24 hours without a drink. I didnt make it last week, but I am starting again. Feel quite ill but I guess this will pass. Glad first 24 hours is done. Next few days I hope wll get better.
Need to go lie down again soon. Thanks for asking.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey confusedguy

i wish there were some sort of formula to this but i guess there isnt, water and talking helped me to get to today day 8.

not out of the woods yet im sure but will keep going, keep talking on here and let me know how you are doing.

wurzel
Old 04-08-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi guys
​​
so thats a week under my belt still have huge cravings but getting on with it.

Slight side effect, im waking up with massive headaches , not hangover but headache any ideas?

Wurzel
Old 04-08-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Wurzel,

Congratulations on a week! That is a MAJOR accomplishment.

I bet you're feeling much better, aside from the headaches. I have chronic morning headaches when sober, but find they pass in a relatively short time. For me, it's a hereditary thing; I think it's related to the also hereditary anxiety and depression. I am taking a prescribed antidepressant and anxiety medication and they help tremendously. Think about going to see a doctor, maybe?

What do you mean by huge cravings? Is that a physical thing or a habit thing or something else altogether? I think it's important to figure that out and find a way to address it. For lots of people, it seems that taking the option drinking off the table forever does the trick. Are you there yet?

O
Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

So got through another night without to much fuss, cravings are dying down day by day, or im not listening cant decide which.

headaches in the morning are now extending to the whole day which is not what i was expecting.

​​​happy where i am an the road so will keep going
Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi Wurzel

You are doing so well. I hope the headaches get better soon.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I was in a good place for a few months and filled my day with good things. Slowly fell back into a rut and started drinking about. Same as you. A little more and more and then it got to the point that I was literally drinking all day. No one can really tell so it makes it more of a challenge for me. I hate how I feel when Im coming down. It feels horrible. You'd think that I wouldn't want to drink just so I don't have to feel the crappy feelings of detoxing. I did a couple weeks of being sober and it was amazing. Then I started drinking again. Having this forum is great. At least we know there are others suffering in silence too.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully the headaches will ease back soon Wurzel

D
Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey Wurzel, are you taking anything for your headaches? I can't give medical advice, of course, but I'm thinking there are a couple of really good non-prescription options.

You might want to consider seeing a doctor if the day-long thing continues. That sounds absolutely miserable.

I'm really happy that you are otherwise satisfied with where you are right now. It's only bound to get better.

O
Old 04-10-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

So another night under my belt last night , and no headache this morning !!

had my brother and his wife come over at the weekend and he brought a 4 pack of beer with him.

have just spotted he has left one bottle in my fridge, bizzarely i know its there and I feel like drinking it but i know i wont.

in actually finding it weiredly comforting to know its there and im not going to drink it.

feels like a good luck charm of sorts , the longer i keep it full the longer im not drinking if that makes sense.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Youre doing great!

Your call of course but I'd ditch the beer.

I dont plan on drinking, but if the notion ever posesses me, Id have to drive to the store at least so hopefully I'd lose the urge.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

in actually finding it weiredly comforting to know its there and im not going to drink it.
but think of the satisfaction you'll get from dumping it.

I always said my addicted self was a great advocate. It could make keeping booze around, or even drinking sound like a sane sensible thing to do.

Get the beer out of your house. It's just one of the ways our inner addict keeps the door to more drinking open.

You're a non drinker now. Get rid of it.

You don't need to prove your strength - in any case the best test of strength, bar none, is dumping the poison...right?

D
Old 04-10-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

So glad to hear there was no headache - that's wonderful.

I don't know what I think about the beer, but if I had it around, I think in the past I might have just decided to drink it on a whim - it wouldn't do anything for me, right? But... there's absolutely no way of knowing if that wouldn't send me straight to the liquor store for something that would do something.

Is it worth the risk? Making alcohol into a good luck charm sounds a bit daft for people like us, doesn't it? (Not that I don't understand what you're saying, but I'm just sayin)
Old 04-11-2019, 02:07 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi Guys

Think your right , my good luck charm kept calling me last night till i cracked it open and poured it out( it smelt amazing !!!)

so another night done with no drama other than i seem to be now addicted to water and wake up a 3 or 4 times a night to have a drink of water.

is that normal ?

wurzel
Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you dumped it. The fact it smelt 'amazing' is proof your inner addict is still very much functional...but you bested it

There's a wide range of normal - you might be a little dehydrated - do you drink a lot of coffee in the day?

D
Old 04-13-2019, 03:14 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

So coming up on my 2 week mark so feeling a bit chuffed with myself

Judt wanted to say thanks to all you have been awesome
Old 04-13-2019, 03:45 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

You deserve to be pleased - two weeks is a really great accomplishment!
How's the sleep?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Headaches *might* be blood sugar related.

Do some research on alcoholism and hypoglycemia. You might find it interesting/relevant.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey Wurzel. Glad you still here and glad to see you poured the booze away. I know I could not handle having it in my place right now.
And Im also drinking tons of water.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

So but the bullet and went to the docs, explained my situation and she was great and very supportive.

Turns out i have dangerously high bloid pressure :-( hence the headaches, masked by having a hangover every day for years

So she out me straight on meds and took bloods to check how im doing internally.

Fingers crossed not too much damage