Notices

Naltrexone/Vivitrol

Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone/Vivitrol

Has anyone had any success with naltrexone? Something's gotta give. It is time to stop the relapses. I do not want to get divorced.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll refrain from advice as its against the rules.

Just my experience. It definitely curbed my desire to drink. Made me sick when I did, but also made me sick if I took it and did not drink. Cut them in half and still was too strong and made me nauseous.

I'm sensitive to any drugs or vitamins though. It seems to be a miracle drug for a few. If you drink to get drunk though you'll find a way to not take it so you can get drunk.

I'm sober at the moment and plan on staying that way but Naltrexone did not work for me. To each his own. Off to the next plan. Good luck man.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll just share that I kept drinking while on Naltrexone.

I wasn't ready to quit.

There are indeed meds for cravings like this pill/shot - and Antabuse that makes you sick (up to being deadly) if you drink on it.

But none of that cures our disease, which is a progressive one that will only worsen the longer you keep drinking.

Besides not wanting to end up divorced, what brought you here? Do YOU want to get sober?
Old 03-31-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im on combo therapy, naltrexone and campral. It has worked for me and has helped keep me sober for almost 5 months. I was put on these at inpatient rehab. No side effects at all for me. If this helps me to stay sober I welcome all the help with open arms. If you drink on Naltrexone you still get drunk same with campral. Antabuse makes you violently ill if you drink.
Each to their own.
I dont think its a magic pill though. The desire not to drink has to be there as well combined with daily hard work on recovery and sobriety.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I took Naltrexone for a while a few years ago. It is supposed to remove the pleasure from drinking. To a degree it worked but I then learn't to drink over it thus drinking more than before to override the effect or just not take it.
I clearly wasn't ready to quit yet.

For some it has been very successful-what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Good Luck
Old 03-31-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m on it. I don’t drink and my husband is not divorcing me. I don’t know if it’s actually doing anything. The fear of losing my life is pretty strong and that has guided me most of all. Wishing the best!