Notices

First AA Meeting EVER

Old 04-01-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I still haven't been, but always say I wouldn't mind checking one out. My only views on AA meetings come from how they are portrayed in movies and TV....not sure if that is even accurate. Glad you found it to be valuable. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is truly great news.

Congratulations on your courage.

The threshold to the door of your first AA meeting seems to be about 30' wide.

Keep us posted with your progress.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you had such a positive experience

Sadly, I stayed away from AA for far too long, but in the end it is the only thing that seems to be keeping me sober at 3 and a half yrs.

It works if you work it
Old 04-01-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Garlic Breath

D
Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to the fellowship NicLin.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That’s so great Niclin!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Brilliant! Keep doing whatever works. When's your next meeting.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Checking in before bedtime!

I am sick as a dog but went to my SECOND meeting tonight and something special happened.

After my first meeting, I opened up to a very very good friend of mine. I told her that I had decided to seek help with my alcohol issues and that I was really happy with how my first meeting went. She started asking me questions and eventually opened up to me about wanting to seek treatment as well. She had always been scared, hesitant, the stigma, laziness, blah blah blah. She had a ton of reasons. But hearing about my experience inspired her and she told me she's been struggling. I found a meeting halfway between both of us and offered to pick her up. She was really nervous and I could tell scared. We arrived at the meeting and you could see her start getting emotional. Then after the meeting she was chatting with everyone and looked happier than I had seen ever. Ever. She just lost her boyfriend to pancreatitis this past month.

We went to dinner with a few of the girls and I sat back and watched her open up more and more.

When I got home, she texted me about a meeting tomorrow that she wants us to go to. We are going. We are on this journey together.

I feel really great and so happy that she can start her journey to recovery. I have become incredibly spiritual and truly believe that the Universe has started to open up miracles in my life.

I am so so grateful for this awareness now and for this journey. I am making space constantly for it.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

How wonderful you have someone to be on the journey with! I wish both of you the very best.

The spirituality part - when I first got sober I struggled with that. I heard the word God a lot at AA, and I'm not a religious person, so it didn't feel quite right to me. But I took to heart the phrase "God, as we understand him." So I realized I can have any higher power I choose. For me, it's the power of the universe and human connection. And I truly believe there is a LOT of power in that. And if I remain open, I see the miracles all the time, big and small. It's pretty darn cool.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

How wonderful it is to here your story of your first meetings.🙂 I love the enthusiasm!!
Old 04-12-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How's it going NicLin?