Notices

Best (Non-Alcoholic) Drinks and Recipes

Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Best (Non-Alcoholic) Drinks and Recipes

I was wondering tonight what fun, non-alcoholic drinks there are, thought I would share a few of mine and maybe get some insight!

Currently, my most favorite after workout drink is a lemon or lime La Croix and Orange Juice! It's like a delicious non-alc mimosa!

At night I recently found a Chai Latter powder at Trader Joe's and have it iced or hot. It is so so good!

What are yours?

I also asked a mixologist friend about "mocktails" and he said you can pretty much ask for any mixed cocktail without the liquor. Have you found any and if so, which ones are best?

Old 03-29-2019, 03:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by NicLin View Post
I also asked a mixologist friend about "mocktails" and he said you can pretty much ask for any mixed cocktail without the liquor.
I can attribute some of my early success in staying sober by avoiding any situation where I had to ask to have alcohol not poured into my beverage. Meaning, I stayed away from drinkers and drinking.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A large part of my recovery is a fairly strenuous weight training program 4 days a week. And I can say without question my favorite beverage is a cold bottle of water. A glass of milk at night is runner-up.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I rarely drink anything other than water. I have a couple cups of tea in the morning. If I'm feeling particularly festive I'll put a slice of lemon in my water and maybe an ice cube.

I used to work at a fancy restaurant and there are tons of fruity non-alcoholic drinks. I just choose not to drink my calories.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Flavored seltzer water with fresh fruit. Plain seltzer with splash of tonic and a lime.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just started drinking Chai tea and love it, I just put a splash of almond milk in it, I also have a gingerbread one I am quite fond of.

I took the kids to the movies over march break and had a diet, vanilla, cherry coke - it was tasty.

In the early days, it was a lot of cordial and seltzer. Or just club soda. Now I am sugar free, I found a cherry spritzer I don't mind, sometimes a sparkling ice split with the kids. Honestly, it's water, coffee and tea 90% of the time.

For me, treating food or beverages as special is a slippery slope. Nourishment can certainly taste good, but it is just fuel, beverages prevent dehydration and keep me going, taste good, but serve a purpose. Having an Italian soda on a hot day because I am at a shop that makes it, a piece of torte because it is Christmas, those are special occasions, a hot dog because I am at a ball game, things that happen once in a great while. A special drink because it is Friday, well Friday is just another day, I have no less responsibilities on Friday than any other day.

For me to maintain control over my alcohol and food addictions, I needed to treat food and drink as just what they are, nourishment, I stray from my eating once in a while, but there better be a good reason

Edited to add: I realize how much of a downer this response is LOL
Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I mostly drink coffee, tea, and water.
But for something different or tasty, I like cranberry juice (no sugar) mixed with seltzer, and a slice of lemon or lime. I don't like to drink sweetened drinks often - I'd rather save those sugar calories for ice cream.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This question would have been a bad choice to ponder when I was trying to get my first day one, two, three, like you are now Nic.

Much later on, I became OK occasionally having a zero proof drink from one of the restaurants in the large group I work for, partly because I'm a leader of the recovery group started by its founder and being conversational on as many aspects of our world as recovery folks in the restaurant biz is the deal. But I say that from 1,131 days sober.

On your other threads we've all shared what to do in getting started...
Old 03-29-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All the above points are well taken. I had my first "mocktail" about 75 days into sobriety and that was because I really wanted to see an old friend in town.

At home, I don't make "mocktails." But I enjoy good herb teas (robois, hibiscus, and chamomile). And I also integrate fresh mint, lemon, lime, and sparkling water to hydrate.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
I just started drinking Chai tea and love it, I just put a splash of almond milk in it, I also have a gingerbread one I am quite fond of.

I took the kids to the movies over march break and had a diet, vanilla, cherry coke - it was tasty.

In the early days, it was a lot of cordial and seltzer. Or just club soda. Now I am sugar free, I found a cherry spritzer I don't mind, sometimes a sparkling ice split with the kids. Honestly, it's water, coffee and tea 90% of the time.

For me, treating food or beverages as special is a slippery slope. Nourishment can certainly taste good, but it is just fuel, beverages prevent dehydration and keep me going, taste good, but serve a purpose. Having an Italian soda on a hot day because I am at a shop that makes it, a piece of torte because it is Christmas, those are special occasions, a hot dog because I am at a ball game, things that happen once in a great while. A special drink because it is Friday, well Friday is just another day, I have no less responsibilities on Friday than any other day.

For me to maintain control over my alcohol and food addictions, I needed to treat food and drink as just what they are, nourishment, I stray from my eating once in a while, but there better be a good reason

Edited to add: I realize how much of a downer this response is LOL
Haha not at all! I come from the Beverage and Food world, so it is a special thing to me and I don't want to lose it, but I do not and will not drink alcohol. I actually got excited looking up mocktails and seeing the fun options.

I respect everyone's methods and am learning so much! Thanks!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Ginger beer, grapefruit juice, and a basil leaf.