Notices

A question about the AV

Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about the AV

I have just started reading Rational Recovery and learning about the AV and AVRT.

Do you think that the AV is the same voice that tells me that I am not good enough, won't lose weight although actively trying, not a good mom/wife etc.? Is it the one that is creating all my insecurities?

I gave into it last night and see where I went wrong. I recognize that the feeling I had before even consuming the drink were due to the AV. I am obviously regretting it and fighting so hard. I just wish this cognitive dissonance would end.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Do you think that the AV is the same voice that tells me that I am not good enough, won't lose weight although actively trying, not a good mom/wife etc.? Is it the one that is creating all my insecurities?
It's the same voice that is always in my head....the unspoken voice that tells me that it's okay to drink is the voice that asks me, before I leave the house, "Got your keys?"

That voice in our heads is ours.

Calling the drinking voice our AV is a technique, just like a therapist might have me call the voice that tells me what I need to do, or where I've failed, my Inner Parent.

But its me, really.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Through the lens of RR the AV is any positive thought of future drinking and
any doubt in your ability to remain abstinent.

Negative self-talk, poor self esteem ect are thoughts the AV will grab and use to insinuate Its sole purpose ie get more booze.

AVRT is a technique you can use to identify and separate from the thoughts that if acted on would physically put alcohol in your mouth.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Through the lens of RR the AV is any positive thought of future drinking and
any doubt in your ability to remain abstinent.

Negative self-talk, poor self esteem ect are thoughts the AV will grab and use to insinuate Its sole purpose ie get more booze.

AVRT is a technique you can use to identify and separate from the thoughts that if acted on would physically put alcohol in your mouth.
Thank you, that’s a helpful explanation. I guess I’m just having a hard time separating the AV thoughts, because I feel like the negative self talk is coming from the AV as well.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post

Thank you, that’s a helpful explanation. I guess I’m just having a hard time separating the AV thoughts, because I feel like the negative self talk is coming from the AV as well.
It is. The beast wants alcohol. It uses your alcoholic voice to cajole, bully, entice and scare you into drinking. Carl is right that the voice is ours, the thoughts are ours. The construct of AVRT helps us to understand that the beast will capitalize on your own intellect and weaknesses to get what It wants. You can recognize the AV for what it is (just noise) and learn to disregard it just like you knock an ant off of your arm.

O
Old 03-28-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I suffered a lot with negative self talk so I get how you are feeling. I started using a ABC Tool that is used in CBT to help to dispute this negative thinking. 10 months later things have improved hugely from where I was at before. It hasn't completely gone away and it's going to take more than 10 months to retrain my brain from a lifetime of negative self talk but it helps a lot and is happening far less. x
Old 03-28-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My definition of the AV is any seductive rationalization we use to justify whatever urge happens to be farkeling through my head.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I suffered a lot with negative self talk so I get how you are feeling. I started using a ABC Tool that is used in CBT to help to dispute this negative thinking. 10 months later things have improved hugely from where I was at before. It hasn't completely gone away and it's going to take more than 10 months to retrain my brain from a lifetime of negative self talk but it helps a lot and is happening far less. x
Manta,

Pardon my ignorance but what is AVRT and CBT and what is the ABC tool? Trying to gather more tools!
Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

If you type “ABC tool for CBT” in google you should get some good links to info about this tool. I love using it! Basically you use it to retrain your brain to a more rational way of thinking about things. You select an activating event which can be something hat happened that day that triggered your negative thinking. You then write out how it made you feel (angry, hurt, lonely, rejected etc) in another box you write out how you behaved because of how you felt (defensive, Isolated myself, etc) Then you write your core beliefs about the situation (I am not good enough, no-one likes me, I am a failure, I’ll never be happy etc) and then you take each core belief and dispute it with facts only. So I am a failure could be disputed with a list of things you haven’t failed at, because if you think logically and with facts only you would find something that you did succeed at. It’s good to understand what emotions you feel and how it makes you behave too so you can start to recognise early hat your entering into stinking thinking territory and do something about it.

I am not sure I am explaining it to well but do the google search and you’ll find some really helpful information on this tool. x
Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Oh, and CBT is congnative behavioural therapy which is all based on many many techniques to retrain your neural pathways and behaviours in an more positive and less destructive way x
Old 03-29-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

You can read about AVRT and Rational Recovery in the Secular Connections section of this forum.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ined-long.html (AVRT Explained (long))

That one above says it's long, but it's nothing compared to this one that goes on for six threads: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...iscussion.html (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion)

ABC is one of the tools employed by SMART Recovery - you can find their boards using Google search (or whathaveyou).

O