Notices

Well this is fun.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well this is fun.

Hey ya'll. Day 213 for me. I don't post a whole lot anymore, because I was starting to feel a bit needy, but I am always lurking....

I just had some thoughts I wanted to share. What got me thinking was the quote below, from one of our own...

"Sometimes the remarkableness of sobriety is found in the most mundane things" -LessGravity

It’s just a feeling that I had over the weekend, and it’s a feeling I’m not used to, and I think it marks an important step for me as a person. I often think about my life, and how I got to where I am. The depression, anxiety, mental health...all the **** that caused all that, and what ultimately led to my drinking. It makes me sad. But then...I think about where I am now. Last Saturday, I was just sitting outside, snapping pics of my tea and jotting a few thoughts down(the usual nonsense I fill my time with)...and I was just at complete peace. Like Gravity said....the remarkableness of sobriety is found in the most mundane things sometimes. Just sitting there. Not a care in the world. Healthy. Relaxed. Enjoying the weather. Sipping my tea. Then I got a text from my sister, and she asked if I could come over and help her and her husband out with a few things. They needed help and knew I would help. They knew I could help, and wanted my help. I’m helpful. Not a burden. For soooo many years all I ever felt like was a burden. So, I happily threw on some fresh clothes, and I went to help. It's like a 30 minutes drive, and I even enjoyed the drive. Blasted music with the windows down....perfect. I was in a state of pure joy. Pure joy for NO REASON at all. Coming from someone who had to abuse alcohol just to try and stop the pain and sadness...

The feeling overwhelmed me, and still gives me chills.

Happy Wednesday, ya'll. Love you all, stay determined, stay blessed, never quit.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I appreciate your posts so much. They always give me a fresh perspective. Thank you. So very happy for you too that you are experiencing moments of such peace and joy.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 213! That’s amazing! It’s interesting you say your sister called you for some help and you were able to drive there and go! My experience when I was drinking was that I couldn’t do anything because I was drunk. People would invite me places and I would make all these excuses. I’m too tired, I never get to relax, I have a headache. You could not rely on me for anything! Congrats on living a beautiful life!
Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post WhoDey--just what I needed to read at this moment
Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Takeaction View Post
My experience when I was drinking was that I couldn’t do anything because I was drunk. People would invite me places and I would make all these excuses. I’m too tired, I never get to relax, I have a headache. You could not rely on me for anything!
That was one of the reasons why I was never asked to help in the past. I would wake up on a Saturday morning, and be so "dope sick", that I just figured I would have a drink to feel better. "A drink" for me typically meant 4-5 oz of vodka....so after that, I couldn't drive. So then I would make excuses not to go out, or I would Uber to the different places and have to lie to say why I Uber'ed......"My contact lenses felt blurry, didn't want to drive".....when in reality they could tell I was drunk.

Well, one thing I had going right in my head as a drunk is I never let myself drive.

But thanks ya'll for the positive comments....glad to know my posts make a difference!
Old 03-27-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic post. Its about the journey, and it sounds like you are enjoying yours.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You gave ME chills. Thanks man.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are a hero!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

WhoDey - that was perfect - thank you so much.
Your posts are always appreciated - you're upbeat & supportive. You don't come across as needy - but even if you were - we are here to hold each other up.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 213, and great post!
Thanks!

How's Dwayne doing?

That was a cool photo of him- any others?

I'm sure we'd love to see.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This post made me smile
Old 03-27-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I keep having moments like this too. This weekend I was sitting in a coffee shop by myself reading a book just feeling completely happy and at peace. I've started walking to work as well and I found myself this morning walking with a massive grin on my face for no reason at all other than life is frickin' beautiful and I never realised that when I was drinking!
Old 03-28-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes. Great post whodeypi. I also agree your posts are always helpful and your story needs to be heard.

Thank you.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lunar View Post
Congrats on 213, and great post!
Thanks!

How's Dwayne doing?

That was a cool photo of him- any others?

I'm sure we'd love to see.
LOL, I was just like....Dwayne? Who's Dwayne?! Then I remembered. I don't really have a rescue Alpaca, but I wish I did! There is an alpaca rescue about 30 miles away from me though that I want to visit! They've always been my favorite animal....they always look carefree.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

What a great post. I get those moments sometimes - just a feeling of peace and joy that I never thought I'd have again when I was ruining my life with booze. They often happen at the most "mundane" of times, too. Nothing special going on, just an appreciation of being able to enjoy the simple things in life, when I slow down a bit and stop worrying about every little thing, which I still tend to do.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think contentment during mundane times is real progress. I've noticed how good it feels too. It's like a feeling of not needing anything.