SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Approaching the END stage (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437354-approaching-end-stage.html)

Stable 03-26-2019 03:47 PM

Approaching the END stage

I have had over 20 years of allcoholism and am proud to say I am 6 days sober today.

Of my 20 years I’d say I had about 2 years of enjoyment after that it have been a long road of unpleasant consequences, regret. bad mental health and a very tortured work and personal life. There is no facet of my life alcohol has not affected.

There are stages of allocohilsm and a lot border on the edge of the middle stage for a long time. I have given up hopefully in time.

I know someone currently in the end stage and let me tell you it’s UGLY REAL UGLY!

WHEN ALCOHOL HAS TAKEN EVERYTHING IT COMES FOR YOU.

Good luck to everyone. If your on this site reading these posts you need to stop not moderate as that is not possible. Total abstinence is the only answer.

Ghostlight1 03-26-2019 04:33 PM

I'm afraid you're preaching to the choir.
Most of us know the consequences of alcoholism and the harm it does.
I lived it. For thirty years and somehow came out alive.
Welcome to the forum.
You've found a great place for support.

djlook 03-26-2019 04:43 PM

Hello, Stable.

Congratulations on six days sober.

I saw a guy in an institution one time who had a wet brain from this disease, and it was indeed very ugly. He had wet his pants, was being drug down a hallway by two attendants, and was crying for his mommy. Good luck on your journey.

djlook 03-26-2019 04:48 PM

And, I apologize, I left out that the gentleman was probably in his mid '40s.

gleefan 03-26-2019 05:08 PM

Glad you are here and sober! You’ll find many likeminded folks here to join you on your journey.

Chrissy1104 03-26-2019 05:25 PM

Hi Stable,
Congratulations on the 6 days. 25 days here. Keep going and don't look, until you are ready.

Hevyn 03-26-2019 05:53 PM

6 days is wonderful, Stable. I'm so glad you've reclaimed your life. I clung to it long after it was fun, & it cost me dearly.

Glad you are here - you're among friends who care.

warrens 03-26-2019 08:01 PM

Very good... One foot in front of the other. That's all any of us do. That's all any of us CAN do.

Come back tomorrow and tell us how seven days since feels.

Warren

yinzer 03-27-2019 04:58 AM

Congrats on six days, Stable! And thanks for the reminder. Lots of newcomers here who really don’t realize how bad it can get if they don’t stop. Life is worth living. Sober.

saoutchik 03-27-2019 01:21 PM

Congratulations on 6 days Stable! You have every right to be proud.

It will be hard for you in the beginning but it won't be as tough as it is now for ever. I was 54 when I quit 4 years ago and must have been closing in on the end stage but the worse your alcoholism was, the more benefits you get from quitting.

Good luck!

NicLin 03-28-2019 10:08 PM

one of my uncles was recently diagnosed with Stage 4 liver and colon cancer. He never went to the doctor and has always, since I was baby, been an alcoholic. My cousin was hospitalized for gastritis and ulcers from stress and my aunt looked so tired and haggard the last time I saw her. I think he is still drinking.
It affects everyone and everything and I don't want to head on the path any more.

Gottalife 03-29-2019 01:56 PM

As an end stager myself, in the last year of my drinking, I saw seven of my rehab group die drunk, and watched two who went directly to AA and recovered. I followed the two. In our group of 10 only three survived past a year, and none of us managed to stay drinking.