Notices

A Rough Start and It's Players

Old 03-26-2019, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Rough Start and It's Players

Back on, been having a lot of setbacks on my first two weeks trying to stop drinking.

1- I caved a few times and bought wine and beer, stayed home, drank and then felt so much guilt and shame the next days.
2- The last drinking night (yesterday evening), I went out and lost my phone. I am lucky nothing else happened, but I never lose anything and this was a huge shameful and dangerous red flag. My phone was found and my soon to be ex-husband helped me. I felt like such a loser
3- My depression isn't helping. I am MUCH happier when sober and going through my days. Drinking put me right back to the dark place.
4- My neighbors are extremely sweet and kind people, but they are heavy party people when they party (lots of drugs and drinking and days of doing this, sometimes right outside my window in our shared terrace). I have this urge to join them sometimes and it just gets out of control.

Lastly, my ex and I are supposed to go to court Thursday to start the divorce process. I am worried I am too fragile.

I am also traveling to Australia for two months and am set on not drinking while there, I am going to take all of my books.

I am going to my first meeting tomorrow, I am nervous but actually excited.

That's all for tonight, I am so happy to be going to bed sober.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This can be the last time you have to feel like this NicLin
You can do this

D
Old 03-26-2019, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What jumps out at me on your comments -->

* Travel: have a plan for dealing with situations where you may be tempted to drink. This was a big area for me when I started to get sober. I loved to use my situation of being away as an excuse that I didn't have the muster to fight off the airport bars, the restaurants or other lures that come with it. SR has a phone app, if you didn't know that.

* Depression: if you feel that you have an issue with this that goes back into your past, talk to a doctor about it. There are sad feelings that come with going into a sober life, as you change your habits and, for yourself, as you face a divorce, but depression is different and another foe. Antidepressants don't make not drinking easier, just to be real about it, and don't work if you do drink.

* Divorce, the loss of a relationship, that is very hard. I would find as much support as you can for dealing both with your drinking and for the separation grief.

You have a good deal on your plate, but try not to let it overwhelm you. Each little thing you do to try to work through these things will make you feel more confident. Stay close to what keeps you sober and minimize what can make you falter.