Notices

16 days sober.... Anxiety

Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

16 days sober.... Anxiety

Hey everyone, I’m 16 days sober (and have dramatically like 90 percent cut down over the last 2 months) but I am constantly convincing myself I am going to die of some alcohol related disease or another. It seems that as soon as I work one out of my mind or the random pains that are bothering me go away, I find a new symptom (real or imagined) to obsess over. I went to the doctor 2 month ago convinced I had cancer due to swelling. Doctor said it was not the case. I had blood work done and the dr said everything looked normal but I may have a b vitamin deficiency. He didn’t seem concerned and said no signs of cancer. I went on my merry way happy for 2 days then found a new thing to obsess over like every two weeks starting the process of omg I’m going to die over and over. I am going back in a week to see the doctor again and try and rule out my new fears and assess any damage done from my time drinking.

Anyone else have similar issues of obsessing over stuff like this when quiting after drinking heavily for 10 plus years? Or any tips from keeping the stress from pushing me back to drinking to escape it?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Do what you need to ease you fears. No one can help you but yourself. So if you need to keep going to the doctors then keep going. I just hope you are not wasting precious time by not enjoying your healthy life.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sman View Post
Or any tips from keeping the stress from pushing me back to drinking to escape it?
Instead of letting the stress of dying from alcohol related illnesses push you into drinking, think about how continuing to drink will most definitely take you steps closer to risk of alcohol related death.

I used to worry about alcohol related illnesses, but now that I don't drink I'm doing nothing to exacerbate my situation. I can't change the past, but I can lower my risks by not drinking now or in the future. It seems completely illogical to drink because you're worried that drink is killing you.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had very similar feelings before and after I quit. Before I quit I knew deep down I was doing damage to my mind and body. This aided in me quitting. After I quit I worried about the damage I had done. Bottom line is what happened in the past happened. There is nothing we can do to change it. But we can effect the future by not drinking. I do know this for sure, I have increased my life span by quitting. By how much? Who knows, but that's all I can control.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate...I have major health anxiety. I do have a great MD who will do routine tests/bloodwork to alleviate my fears. I honestly go every 6 months for blood work, just so I can put my mind at ease. I have also gone for annual ultrasounds for abdomen. There are no guarantees in life, or any way we can be sure we haven't done long term damage. I do think that being proactive in your health is good and can also help you manage. Good luck!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get this fear terribly, from drinking and smoking, and now just smoking which is next on my list to tackle and overcome. Only thing that helps me honestly is staying sober, getting sleep, and keeping busy. When I was drinking and hungover I convinced myself I was dying everytime. It’s easier to control when sober for sure. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input everyone just posting about it feels like it helps. Wanting to go to the doctor is a very new experience for me. The past 10 years I have done Everything I can to avoid going and have only gone twice over that time period. I have always had worries in the back of my mind but never had them surface and stick around like this until I seriously started trying to quite alcohol. On the bright side 16 days is probably the longest period of sobriety I have had in the last decade.

Gymratgirl, is having blood work and ultrasounds done that frequently something that is covered by insurance/ very expensive to do?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it depends on your insurance and if the doctor can deem it necessary. Once we hit our annual deductible for insurance, everything that a MD orders and is done at an in-network lab doesn't cost me anything. You may want to check with your insurance carrier to be sure.