Notices

Tiredness in sobriety

Old 03-24-2019, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tiredness in sobriety

I am 6 months sober. I am still feeling pretty tired all the time, and brain fog is still daily as well. I do feel about ten million times better sober, but am wondering if my tiredness is something that will go away, or just part of my busy life. I get 8-9 hours of sleep at night, yet am yawning and tired drinking coffee most the day. Anyone have tips to get out of this fog?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was tired for the first year sober but gradually got more energy. I know I still probably drink too much coffee and that seems to have a backlash effect at some point during the day. Being sober though is huge in comparison to anything else. The other habits will have to be worked on but it sounds like your doing great, keep it up.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are getting 8-9 hours and still feeling fatigue and your diet and exercise is on point then I think you should see a doctor.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really abused my body at the end of my long drinking career, and it's took a time (1 1/2-2 years?) for the brain to clear and a lot of the memory to return. The tiredness lasted the first year, but I had "excused" myself and allowed a diet of sugar and caffeine in sobriety. Once I went to healthy eating and a little exercise, the tiredness improved. The 1st year was hard to fight through, but hang in there. If you can, nap when you're tired. Forgive your brain for now, as it gets tons better...just give it a little more time.

Congrats on six months!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

6 months is great!

Are you getting some exercise? Eating a fairly decent diet? I started feeling less tired all the time at about the 3-4 month mark, but that varies from person to person. If you were a really heavy drinker, it can take quite some time to feel really good again. Your body is healing - pretty normal to feel fatigue for a while. Getting a walk in every day, even a short one, really helped me get back to feeling good.

But if you really feel like the fatigue isn't getting better, I'd check with a doctor. Could be there's some underlying issue that needs to be addressed. Might be something as simple as a vitamin deficiency, or just that your diet needs some tweaking.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was tired for the first ten months of sobriety. I would nap a lot. Then I slowly got more energy and started exercising. It was a slow process I could barely walk around the block then I got more energy.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I got sober last year and did four months before my first relapse, and during that time I was tired *all* the time. So lethargic and didn’t want to do anything really. I’m now thirty days after my second relapse, and feeling it hard. I’m fairly certain that alcohol causes this, firstly because of years of interrupted sleep caused by alcohol, and secondly that the body has a lot to fix when you quit. Give it time, look after your mind and your body, and if it continues go see a doc and get your blood tested. As someone said in this thread there could be another issue such as vitamin deficiency.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice. I’m eating fairly healthy, besides my sweet tooth, I know I need to get that under control. I can really feel it when I eat too much sugar. I just need to get into the habit of working out, and cutting back on the sweets. That’s my next step, if the tiredness doesn’t improve after that I will see a dr.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It may be protracted withdrawals, aka PAWS, which can last for a long time (up to a year or two, depending on how much / how long you've been drinking)

I've been there, but have always caved after max 4 months...

Give it time, it'll get better. Great job on 6 months. Keep it up!
Old 03-25-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep moving forward and know you won't have to go through this again! And one day everything will be so very clear!! That fog WILL lift!! Keep staying stopped!!