Notices

Hangovers

Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

8 days is absolutely wonderful, Takeaction! I remember feeling so much better when I had a week in. You're doing great.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Hangovers are horrible for me
Old 03-25-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Keep it going! 8 days is a great start.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Today has been a good day. 9 days sober! Yes I’m counting every day and wearing it like a ribbon under my clothes. I’ve been sleeping a lot better, and waking up like a normal person. I still cringe when I open my eyes because for so long I was used to being hungover! Then I realize I’m not and I am able to go to work and take on the day. I wasn’t moody today which was great! One thing I am experiencing is craving sweets! I typically don’t reach for candy but it’s so satisfying! I know I’ve read alcoholics tend to crave a lot of sweets in place of the alcohol. Does this ever subside? Also, I went to a really nice dinner tonight and saw everyone around me drinking delectable cocktails. Typical me would have ordered three dispite the cost. Or raced through dinner so I could run to the store for my fix. Even typing that makes my hands tremor a bit. It is really hard, but I’m sticking my ground to stay healthy.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Words to Live By

Originally Posted by Takeaction View Post
I can’t tell you how amazing it feels to wake up on a Saturday WITHOUT a hangover! Usually I’d be moaning in bed, yelling at my dogs to be quiet, and telling the sun off for being so bright. I actually want to get up, have some coffee, and enjoy the morning.

Last night was really hard to not go buy any type of alcohol. I’ve been really moody, and it seemed it would fix me. I’m so glad I chose to be sober.

Congrats on 8 days! You're making an excellent decision every day.

Whenever I begin to romanticize drinking, then I think of the hangover and the puke (sorry for the TMI). I feel better everyday the longer that I can not pick up. SR saved me too. Sometimes I'm on the site several times a day. Glad you joined us!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

It's really common to crave sweets early on. I gave in to those cravings, because anything that got me through was a-ok with me. I did develop a bit of a problem with it, though, and had to learn to substitute fruit for straight-up sugar after a while. I still eat more sweets than I did when I was drinking, but I try to keep it reasonable. Like a small serving of ice cream after dinner, instead of a whole pint. And not every day. I also keep some mini tootsie rolls around, and if a craving comes on I'll eat 2 or 3 of them. That is just enough to satisfy me without going crazy.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MLD - That's been my experience exactly. The frantic craving in the beginning is gone, but I still want sweets more than in my drinking days. It's odd.