SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just need some wisdom (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437253-just-need-some-wisdom.html)

Dandelion12 03-22-2019 09:36 AM

Just need some wisdom

Ive been reading here for days. I was "fine" while on benzos for anxiety.

I realise im not fine at all

Im overwhelmed, confused, and threw in the towel.

Im currenty having six a day. Im alone and surrounded by neighbors that are sick and dont respect boundaries.

I just feel stupid, vunerable and like a loser.

I am drinking but thats because I chose to NOT go back to the doctor for meds.

No more going in circles.

My mind is a mess

Anyone with any wisdom to share please do. Im just tired of being super human and feeling lower than dirt

Ghostlight1 03-22-2019 10:13 AM

Hello,
I'm not sure what you're asking. Words of wisdom about what? Drinking? Benzos?
Don't know. Please elaborate.

Dandelion12 03-22-2019 10:14 AM

Just re-read my old posts. Ugh.

I give up, I surrender.

The only way Im OK is on the benzos for anxoety.

Dandelion12 03-22-2019 10:15 AM

Just re-read my old posts. Ugh.

I give up, I surrender.

The only way Im OK is on the benzos for anxoety.

Ghostlight1 03-22-2019 10:21 AM

I take a benzo, too. I wouldn't be alright if I didn't take them either.
I also suffer from severe anxiety.
You're not alone. I know what it's like. I can't imagine going off my benzo.
Do what you need to take care of yourself.

Dandelion12 03-22-2019 10:35 AM

I just wanted to be free of all of it.

I didnt want to be dependent

AnvilheadII 03-22-2019 10:53 AM

taking benzos (or other similar drugs) AND drinking is never ever a good idea. this does not put your head in a good place at all and messes with your decision making.

if you feel the medication is not resolving the anxiety issues, you are best talking to your doctor about dosage and other options, rather than just deciding to take more or to add alcohol.

anxiety meds work best when coupled with counseling/therapy. there is no magic pill to fix things. but with a capable professional we can work through our issues and come out the other side.

Dandelion12 03-22-2019 12:42 PM

Guess Im struggling and wasnt clear.

im no longer taking benzos, but seems as though as soon as I stopped taking then I started drinking again.

Yes the Dr. Will give me more pills if I go.

My goal was to not be using a substance.

Samson1 03-22-2019 01:06 PM

I drank for 20 something years while on paxil and xanax. I am 50 days today and still take paxil and a xanax if i'm going to be around people with no escape without looking like a fool. (agoraphobic) Your body builds up a tolerance to xanax if you take to much. I find .5 mg gets me through almost any situation but flying then I take 2. Maybe go to your doctor and ask for a .5 dosage and see how that works. If you haven't been taking them for a while your tolerance has probably gone down. I also asked for antabuse and it has done wonders for me. Good luck. You can do it. From what I have read on here many people are taking meds for anxiety.

Dee74 03-22-2019 06:01 PM

I'm really glad to hear from you dandelion :)

wanting to be feww of all drugs is a fine aim, but I really think coming off benzoes needs a drs input.

From everything I read here, benzo withdrawal is no picnic and it's probably really messing up your mental health.

I don't think you're crazy but I do think you need some help - see your Dr? :)

D

Tetrax 03-22-2019 08:46 PM

All I know is when I came off my meds (SSRIs) without doctor supervision AND tried quitting drinking at the same time a few months ago it was a real s**t show. Maybe there are other alternatives than benzos? I don't know your situation but agree with Dee that you probably need to see your - or a different - doctor.