Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

If you want to get your hand out of the cookie jar You have to let go of the biscuit.

Notices

If you want to get your hand out of the cookie jar You have to let go of the biscuit.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It begins. Today chosen as the starting point as I have the day off so am able to rest. I can rest the weekend and start the week with some recuperated energy. A hard reset. I need my energy back if I'm to move beyond this limbo and improve life circumstances.

If I want to get my hand out of the cookie jar I'm going to have to let go of the biscuit.

The cookie jar represents this stuck in limbo situation: this dingy flat and this dark neighborhood, the scummy drugs, the criminal underworld filled with demons with gaunt faces who want to suck my blood dry. Staying up all night. Ringing numbers who call back. Threats of extortion. Paranoia. Anxiety. Depression. Low energy.

The biscuit is the alcohol which starts the adventures and sends me tumbling down the rabbit hole.

I'm letting go of the biscuit.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A new beginning can be on the horizon for you, Epictetus. I hope you'll let us know how it's going. I'm so glad you've made this life changing decision.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just like for all of us, a different life is within your power. It's all up to you.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love the imagery - simple but vital.
You can do this Epictetus.

D
Old 03-29-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How to catch a monkey

How to catch a monkey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7KO41FrMTA

The monkey is incapable of sacrificing something "valuable" in the present in order to be free and live another day. He cannot let go and so remains trapped.

Delayed gratification. Letting go of something that's perceived as valuable today in order to be free to build a better future.

Choosing short term habits that have long term goal planning in mind rather than choosing what is expedient.

Long term vision.

No more monkeying around!!!