Notices

Weekender Thread 22-25 March 2019

Old 03-28-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I have only been posting in weekenders a few months, bit confused about themes?
I just thought we chatted and supported each other. Anyway good luck with it Mags, you will be great (whatever it is)

Anyway still have not got a TV. I am stuck over researching in totally obsessive way, unable to commit enough to actually press the button that says Buy Now.
I am driving myself crazy.
I don't know if I'd call the old threads themes, but Sao and Weasel and others would start a weekender thread with some thoughts about sobriety and sometimes we would spin off that - but not always.

This thread has always been to me, "Come as you are." Talk about sobriety, or talk about gorillas or ukeleles or the weather or running marathons.

We do rally around if someone is struggling, I don't think that will ever change.

TV - how about just going to the thrift store and buying one for $25 until you make a firm decision? I'm the opposite of you. I don't like to shop or to do research and I'll just go buy one in about 10 minutes. Not saying my impulsiveness has always served me - but that's how I do stuff.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Mags I have read so many reviews, its just ridiculous. I have a bit of a problem as I am always like this when I need to buy something and often end up returning it anyway. Then I buy it again!

Too much choice is fatal for me, It triggers some sort of OCD that I can't control.

Thanks for explaining Bim
Old 03-28-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Kaily, please you stay here posting just the way you are. In my experience most of us post whatever we feel like sharing. If it ties onto a common thread so be it, and if not, that’s fine and simply adds another dimension. We are all here for the same reason - to share and feel a sense of unity, embrace sobriety and support one another, in whichever way we believe might be helpful, including if only for ourselves.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I wouldn't like to offer any advice after my TV purchase. I am not very good with weights / measures and sizes of stuff, just can't visualise how big or small something is. Last year when I was still drinking I fell over with a full glass of wine that poured down the back of the TV and it blew up. So, I went online and did a little bit of research but not much and then went to AO and on impulse got a Smart TV because it was on a deal. I live in a small cottage, the TV is chuffing HUGE but I am stuck with it now lol.

The MD of the company I work for called me first thing this morning. HR had had a chat with him after speaking with me yesterday. He apologised for putting me in the position he did, said he has no issues with my work, that I have done nothing wrong and felt I had been exceptional in everything I did in the month I had been there. He also said he was impressed with how I conducted myself in the actual meeting and that he was a bit caught off guard because he was not used to staff acting professionally. I made it clear that the problem is with this guy, and that he has to own his character defects. That what happened was not my circus and I should not have been an act on the billing. He thanked me for my honesty and apologised again and said he will mentor this chap to ensure that his behaviour improves.

So will keep an open mind and see how it goes. It is great he said all this, however I will judge the situation on whether he follows through and backs this all up with action. Talk is cheap haha!!

Great news MB about getting some temp work to get you through till the new job starts. xx
Old 03-28-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

good for you Manta - you go girl, whoop whoop!

& the use of "chuffing" always makes me smile
Old 03-28-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I wouldn't like to offer any advice after my TV purchase. I am not very good with weights / measures and sizes of stuff, just can't visualise how big or small something is. Last year when I was still drinking I fell over with a full glass of wine that poured down the back of the TV and it blew up. So, I went online and did a little bit of research but not much and then went to AO and on impulse got a Smart TV because it was on a deal. I live in a small cottage, the TV is chuffing HUGE but I am stuck with it now lol.
I used to be exactly the same, now I research for days and still get it wrong.

I'm curious how big is huge in a small room, what size did you buy?

Thanks Captain x
Old 03-28-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I think it's 48"....! When I watch Corrie, Ken Barlows head is twice the size of mine haha. It's very disconcerting x
Old 03-28-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Not too sure where exately that previous post of mine came from. Must have been a lucidum intervallum.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Weird that TV screens are still measured in inches. My TV is 1067mm

Well done on getting that temporary job MidnightBlue. I'm sure you'll do better than NASA managed on the (now cancelled) all women space walk.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Well handled Manta

Congrats on temp job MB

Sleep tight all and goodnight
Old 03-28-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hoping you don't walk into a shop that sell's nothing but bedsheet scarfs MB!

To me a TV is a TV, but then again, I don't watch alot of TV. Mrs Dragon chose the main one for her hockey. We picked up one for the bedroom simply because the price was right.

Before I bought my tablet tho I did agonize over all the types, sizes and features. But in the end I made a list of excatly what I wanted to do with it and features I really needed and bought the one that fit. My last Ukulele purchase followed pretty much the same pattern.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, that’s a good idea what Dragon says. Write down what you want from the tv and then look for those! Though there’ll probably still be hundreds to choose from!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:31 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Magsie

Time for a new thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...il-2019-a.html (Weekender Thread 29 March - 01 April 2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 214 (permalink)