SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   May I ask a question? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437195-may-i-ask-question.html)

zombiegirl 03-19-2019 03:06 PM

May I ask a question?

Night 3 sober wohoooooooooo. Only thing is I have a prolapsed disc am I ok to take my prescription meds such as tramadol? I've use ibuprofen rub but it's not working. Thanks In advance xxxx

awuh1 03-19-2019 03:11 PM

Call your doctor ZG. The mods will likely be along soon to echo this. Hope your meeting goes well.

Ghostlight1 03-19-2019 03:21 PM

In my opinion, if you've got a prescription drug, take it. If you're drinking don't.
I take five prescription drugs, but I've been sober for ten years.
It's never okay to take drugs while drinking.
If you have questions, ask your doctor not lay people.

Anna 03-19-2019 03:27 PM

Since you are sober, of course you can take medication prescribed by your doctor. Pain medication is between you and your doctor. Is your doctor aware of your alcoholism?

least 03-19-2019 03:28 PM

I agree that your doctor should be the one to tell you if it's ok to take it. If it's prescribed for you, I don't see why not.

DriGuy 03-19-2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by zombiegirl (Post 7147545)
Night 3 sober wohoooooooooo. Only thing is I have a prolapsed disc am I ok to take my prescription meds such as tramadol? I've use ibuprofen rub but it's not working. Thanks In advance xxxx

I take tramadol on occasion, because I'm on a blood thinner, and they
don't want me taking any aspirin or aspirin like substitutes. I only use it every two months or so.

I've heard a lot of contradictory advice from lay people in AA. Some are into no prescription drugs at all. I don't take that seriously. I would listen to my doctor. He knows my history, and he's cautious about prescribing anything. He knows me, and I trust he wouldn't do anything to jeopardize my sobriety or my health. I think this probably would hold true for you to. If you have adverse effects from anything, let him know.

Dee74 03-19-2019 08:39 PM

I have no experience with tramadol. What did you do, ZG?

D

zombiegirl 03-20-2019 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by awuh1 (Post 7147549)
Call your doctor ZG. The mods will likely be along soon to echo this. Hope your meeting goes well.

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7147779)
I have no experience with tramadol. What did you do, ZG?

D

Tramadol wise or how I hurt my back?

I had to take one as the pain was bad. Went to bed about 30 minutes after as I dont like how they make me feel.

Back wise my disc has slipped for the third time well what's left of it xx

Dee74 03-20-2019 01:25 AM

I meant about the tramadol :)

Hope today is better for you :)

D

aasharon90 03-20-2019 03:31 AM

We use our recovery programs to help us
remain sober day after day. And we use
our physicians accordingly working honestly
with them, letting them know that we are
in recovery for our addictions and that if
any kind of meds are to be prescribed that
it is not narcotic or habit forming.

Do your research and ask questions as
to know what is addicting and could keep
us sick in addiction. Get a second opinion
if necessary.

We need our doctors or physicians just
as we need our recovery programs to help
us achieve a healthier, happier, honest
quality of life to enjoy moving forward.

Sober and clean way of life.

zombiegirl 03-20-2019 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7147859)
I meant about the tramadol :)

Hope today is better for you :)

D

Feeling bad moving better just very tired from it.
Going to try and have a little nap and then carry on with my day. Back at work Monday so need to rest as much as possible

August252015 03-20-2019 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 7147558)
Since you are sober, of course you can take medication prescribed by your doctor. Pain medication is between you and your doctor. Is your doctor aware of your alcoholism?

Just to echo this- IMO this is absolutely critical.

When I got sober, one of the promises I made to myself was to have good drs, be honest and do what they tell me.

We do encounter stuff that we need drs for, so I'd encourage you to go and be honest. Sober, I can make clear decisions about my care.

Glad you are here.

zombiegirl 03-20-2019 02:48 PM

I am suffering terrible headaches and nausea today not sure if it's because I've not drank or from something else.

Partners also not feeling good so a bit comfused

DreamCatcher17 03-21-2019 07:08 AM

Yayay to 3 days!
I am not a fan of tramadol- Personal experience- I actually am a victim of a reaction..Tinnitus... It sucks so bad.

Evoo 03-21-2019 08:05 PM

Yes, be honest with your doctor. Feel better. I have degenerative disc issues and they can be miserable. With my doctors I have sought alternative treatments to opiates, personally... while I've never been addicted to narcotics, I sure do like how they make me feel. And that's a big red flag for me. I avoid.

August252015 03-22-2019 04:26 AM

How are you, ZG? Glad you are sharing and I think now in day 5, 6 (?) - I know I felt bad, to say the least, for quite a bit longer than this as my body sorted everything out.