Notices

Very Hard To Do

Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very Hard To Do

Today I started cleaning a house that was forclosed on and I am now moving into. In the fridge was several bottles of beer and I found a full case of Jack Daniels. My ex-wife (due to drinking but now supports my sobriety) just stopped and stared at me. You know that look of "here we go again". I told her to go to the fridge and pour out the beer as I began pouring out the Jack. She did. When we were finished she came over and hugged me with tears in her eyes. I admit it was hard (would have been harder if it was Jager) but I dont want to be that person I was before. I want to thank everyone here for the support I have received. I went to one AA meeting in the beginning and found that it wasn't for me. I'm not a social person. I always drank alone and in secret. This sight and a doctors visit for antabuse has been what I need. Thanks again to all of you.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Got choked up reading that man. Been there, many ways. Keep it moving.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 03-19-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Samson, good for you for getting through the day. I'm glad your ex offers support. I always drank alone, in secret, too. I think the hiding and lying adds a whole other layer to alcoholism. I'm glad that you have found something that works for you, and you will always find support here.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same here

Drank alone too. Many times I dumped out beer only to buy more later. Good job dumping it all out. Keep up the good work!

​​​​
Old 03-19-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Good job Samson1. I did not say anything (or almost anything) for the first year I was in AA.
You might find more people like you there than you might think.
All the best to you.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

first off, well done on facing down the booze and eliminating it.

things that come to mind...fridge full of beer and a case of Jack.....house foreclosed - makes ya wonder about connections there? but then again, what self respecting alkie would leave all the booze behind?? makes me think of the Godfather - leave the guns, take the cannoli! LOL

your lovely ex sounds like the perfect "mirror" for the moment.....i'm sure her reaction was visceral. as well as her relief. i'm glad she was there for you.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you dumped it all. Good move.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done! Glad you found something that works for you and that you're sticking with it.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good on you.

It’s small, but I want to point out that you asked for help in this story. Not “get me sober for me” or “do my work for me” kind of help but “stand with me while I do something that’s hard” kind of help. It’s a profound story.

Thanks for sharing it.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was a great decision Sampson - thanks for sharing that here

D
Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
first off, well done on facing down the booze and eliminating it.

things that come to mind...fridge full of beer and a case of Jack.....house foreclosed - makes ya wonder about connections there? but then again, what self respecting alkie would leave all the booze behind?? makes me think of the Godfather - leave the guns, take the cannoli! LOL

your lovely ex sounds like the perfect "mirror" for the moment.....i'm sure her reaction was visceral. as well as her relief. i'm glad she was there for you.
Yeah I thought the same thing. A case of jack is a lot of jack. Thats someone who needs a lot of it.

Also, in the grip of alcohol it would have KILLED me to leave a case of jack behind! Now, I’d probably take it out back and see how many I could smash with small stones. Although the cleanup would be rough...
Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post. A lovely story.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey what's up Sampson? How are you doing?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Doing good. Day 50 today. Take my antabuse every morning. A really good plus side is my bank account. I drank a bottle of Jager a day at 25.53 a bottle. Extra 700 dollars in my account. Woo Hoo. Hope all is well with you lessgravity. Thanks for asking.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it. Keep it moving it gets better.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Samson1 View Post
Today I started cleaning a house that was forclosed on and I am now moving into. In the fridge was several bottles of beer and I found a full case of Jack Daniels. My ex-wife (due to drinking but now supports my sobriety) just stopped and stared at me. You know that look of "here we go again". I told her to go to the fridge and pour out the beer as I began pouring out the Jack. She did. When we were finished she came over and hugged me with tears in her eyes. I admit it was hard (would have been harder if it was Jager) but I dont want to be that person I was before. I want to thank everyone here for the support I have received. I went to one AA meeting in the beginning and found that it wasn't for me. I'm not a social person. I always drank alone and in secret. This sight and a doctors visit for antabuse has been what I need. Thanks again to all of you.
Even if I were drinking I would have flushed that crap too!!! Awful product.

Just shows you the power of marketing if they can manage to sell such a poor product at the price they sell it for. Smells of rubber and glue. Simply brown vodka.

Maybe whoever was in the house before came to that conclusion and decided to leave it as a present for whoever moved in after him.