SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It Can Be Done (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437185-can-done.html)

FrankBarone 03-19-2019 09:12 AM

It Can Be Done

Felt a very strong urge to check in today. Back in 2010, I came across this site when I was at my lowest ebb. I just couldn't get out the bit at all. An endless drunken cycle of misery, self-loathing etc. Trying and failing to get sober. You know the score or you wouldn't be here. Coming on here was a great help, knowing that there were others out there, all across the world, going through the same thing.

I have no words to describe the feeling, but on August 10th 2010, six days into another life-destroying bender, something clicked into place. A moment of clarity. I had tried to quit before, but this felt different. I took a decision to finish the drink I had and then be done with it. I have never experienced a feeling of certainty like it before or since. I just knew that I was finally through with it.

The early days were hard and not without difficulties. Some relationships were beyond repair etc. I had to find work again after a patchy few years where I had lost jobs etc. But I got through it.

One thing I will always be thankful for is finding this place. I have no doubt my life would be very different and catastrophically worse without it. As time progressed and life's priorities change, coming here didn't seem like something I needed to do. And it's not. But I feel guilty about that from time to time. This place gave me so much and I feel that I could contribute more.

I'm 8 years, 7 months sober. I guess I just wanted to say thanks, sorry for not coming around so much, and to let everyone just starting out to know that it can be done.

doggonecarl 03-19-2019 09:18 AM

Thanks for checking in.

Originally Posted by FrankBarone (Post 7147362)
...something clicked into place. A moment of clarity. I had tried to quit before, but this felt different.

I had the same moment of clarity. It's real.

September will be nine years without a drink for me.

WeThinkNot 03-19-2019 09:43 AM

Thanks for sharing Frank.

I also had the moment of clarity you speak of. One night I was drinking whiskey from the bottle as I did every night and as I was planning to do for the foreseeable future. I finished it but wasn't where I needed to be because of my sky high tolerance. Unfortunately it was too late to go buy some more whiskey so I was screwed.

As I sat there in the dark something came over me. I knew I was finished and as you said, "this time is different". I'll be coming up on two years in a few weeks.

Kaily 03-19-2019 09:51 AM

Thank you for the inspiring post Frank - Sounds like you had an Epiphany :)

Hevyn 03-19-2019 10:27 AM

Hi Frank - it's wonderful to see you. I'm so glad you have all that lovely sober time. I also had the same realization. It's a cliché, but if I can do it - anyone can. 30 yrs. drinking, 11 yrs. sober. :)

DreamCatcher17 03-19-2019 10:50 AM

I too had that moment of clarity. What a wonderful, nervous yet exciting feeling! Congrats :)

Happycamper109 03-19-2019 11:36 AM

Thank you for sharing. Congrats!

SnazzyDresser 03-19-2019 03:32 PM

Great job, FrankBarone! That's exactly what it's all about. I like your name too, love that show. :) Frank knows the score. Marie, make me a sandwich!

SoberCAH 03-19-2019 05:03 PM

Great job, Frank.

Thanks for sharing your "moment of clarity".

I remember mine.

It was an unconditional surrender and it didn't feel good at the time, but I was absolutely defeated.

Congrats on your sober time and recovery.

Dee74 03-19-2019 08:38 PM

Really glad to read this update FB- congratulations man :)

D

warrens 03-19-2019 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by FrankBarone (Post 7147362)
Felt a very strong urge to check in today. Back in 2010, I came across this site when I was at my lowest ebb. I just couldn't get out the bit at all. An endless drunken cycle of misery, self-loathing etc. Trying and failing to get sober. You know the score or you wouldn't be here. Coming on here was a great help, knowing that there were others out there, all across the world, going through the same thing.

I have no words to describe the feeling, but on August 10th 2010, six days into another life-destroying bender, something clicked into place. A moment of clarity. I had tried to quit before, but this felt different. I took a decision to finish the drink I had and then be done with it. I have never experienced a feeling of certainty like it before or since. I just knew that I was finally through with it.

The early days were hard and not without difficulties. Some relationships were beyond repair etc. I had to find work again after a patchy few years where I had lost jobs etc. But I got through it.

One thing I will always be thankful for is finding this place. I have no doubt my life would be very different and catastrophically worse without it. As time progressed and life's priorities change, coming here didn't seem like something I needed to do. And it's not. But I feel guilty about that from time to time. This place gave me so much and I feel that I could contribute more.

I'm 8 years, 7 months sober. I guess I just wanted to say thanks, sorry for not coming around so much, and to let everyone just starting out to know that it can be done.

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 7147392)
Hi Frank - it's wonderful to see you. I'm so glad you have all that lovely sober time. I also had the same realization. It's a cliché, but if I can do it - anyone can. 30 yrs. drinking, 11 yrs. sober. :)

​​​​​​
Beautiful... For those wondering "Why don't I have that moment of clarity?" Sometimes it's an evolution. Read appendix II in the Big Book. It turned my head around 7 years ago.

Thank you!