SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Aa (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437160-aa.html)

zombiegirl 03-18-2019 10:21 AM

Aa

So I have made the call and I have found where I will be going for my first meeting. Can I ask did you go on your own or did you meet another member there for support? I have chosen to go on my own as I'm very private with things like this.
thank you

Purpleman 03-18-2019 10:30 AM

I went on my own, due to my personal circumstances at the time, having separated from my wife & moved out of the family home a couple of weeks before. I also didn't know anyone, so I had no choice. Best wishes for your first meeting

snitch 03-18-2019 10:32 AM

I've done both at different times. The main thing is just to go. Everyone is there for the same reason. AA had saved my life and is now giving me a life. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Ghostlight1 03-18-2019 10:38 AM

I went by myself. The people were very friendly, and I didn't have to say anything if I didn't want to.
Good for you for going! That can be a huge step in your recovery journey.
I hope the meeting goes well.

zombiegirl 03-18-2019 10:58 AM

Thank you I'm very nervous but will make it. Its not till the middle of this week but I will let you know how I get on.

DriGuy 03-18-2019 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by zombiegirl (Post 7146690)
So I have made the call and I have found where I will be going for my first meeting. Can I ask did you go on your own or did you meet another member there for support? I have chosen to go on my own as I'm very private with things like this.
thank you

I went on my own for the first meeting. I got there 15 minutes early and sat in my car. Five minutes before the meeting, cars started pulling up, and total strangers were going into the building. I imagined them to be desperate lost souls. I chickened out, and decided I should probably call someone and let them know I was coming, so I wouldn't just be barging in a bunch of strangers. Each nightly meeting had a contact person to call. I contacted a guy named Dean, and told him I might have a problem with alcohol, and asked if it would be OK to just show up.

I liked Dean right off the bat. He wasn't pushy or judgmental, and he was upbeat and welcoming. He just told me to check out AA and see if I thought it might be useful. No pressure at all.

I don't think you need to bring anyone for support. AA IS support, and you will get plenty of that from members. Yes, some were lost souls. Others were bright eyed and happy to be sober, some for many years. I was surprised at how upbeat meetings can be.

Anna 03-18-2019 11:17 AM

I'm not an AA person, but I'm sure you will be welcomed warmly.

awuh1 03-18-2019 02:12 PM

Just keep in mind that everyone who will be at the meeting will have gone to their own first meeting. :) If you get a chance, let everyone know it's your first meeting and you will be in a room full of people who will have your back.
All the best to you.

Pathwaytofree 03-18-2019 02:51 PM

I went on my own. It was very scary walking through that door. But there were two women in particular who met my scared look with warm and friendly faces. It's scary for everyone going to a meeting the first few times. You're definitely not alone with that.

You're not under any obligation to speak if you don't feel comfortable. You can say your name and that you're new, or you could just say "pass".

Sometimes when I tried other meetings, I met other AA people there before the meeting. But usually I went alone.

Dee74 03-18-2019 04:18 PM

Wishing you well with it ZG :)

D

Kaneda8888 03-18-2019 11:42 PM

I've went on my own in a few countries ! It can quite nerve wracking at the first meeting. However, what awuh1 says is especially true. Everyone who attends AA had their very first time entering the rooms. As well, in my home group we emphasize that the newcomer is the most important person in the room. They need all our support. At my first few meetings, I barely said a word to anyone. I simply listened. No one has an issue with that. I received lots of warmth and encouragement to come back. I hope that will be your experience too !

aasharon90 03-19-2019 03:04 AM

I went on my own. With a family, I had my
own responsibilities finding balance in all
I did. Especially when it came to meetings.

I knew I needed them to help me learn
how to work the steps and incorporate
them in all my affairs.

As a mom and wife I ran to my meetings
mostly at noon when kids were in school
then was able to be there for them afterwards.

There were a lot of folks in those meetings
taking an hour out of their jobs on their lunch
hour to make a meeting. So I knew most of
them would be at just about all the meetings
I went to.

Our paths began to cross and before I knew
it I was never alone at my meetings. I could
go and sit by just about anyone because we
all knew each other.

It's pretty cool to be in a meeting with folks
we personally dont know and yet we know
them because of our similar ESH experiences,
strengths and hopes of what life was and is
before, during and after our addiction.

I could go to meetings, get the information
I need and want and return home to carry
on my personal responsibilities mostly all
on my own without bothering anyone.

Of course this is how it worked for me
and it has kept me sober for 28 yrs now,
using SR to carry the message of hope
to countless others also learning how
to achieve a healthy, happy, honest way
of life building a strong recovery foundation
to live upon for yrs to come.

Pathwaytofree 03-19-2019 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree (Post 7146844)
I went on my own. It was very scary walking through that door. But there were two women in particular who met my scared look with warm and friendly faces. It's scary for everyone going to a meeting the first few times. You're definitely not alone with that.

You're not under any obligation to speak if you don't feel comfortable. You can say your name and that you're new, or you could just say "pass".

Yikes. Rereading this, I see I focused on the wrong thing and it was incomplete. I meant to say sure it's "scary" going to a meeting the first time, but it was like that for every single person in the room. Even the ones who are now warm, kind, smiling, happy, and in a good place in their recovery. They were just like you and me at one time. And you will be just like them one day. You will feel more comfortable as time goes on, and one day you'll laugh at yourself at how scared you were. Then you'll come back on SR and help someone new just like yourself. :scoregood

Dee74 03-19-2019 08:42 PM

How did you go, ZG?

D