Notices

Anyone else become a pathological liar?

Old 03-18-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great thread, Canuck! The lying really fits into the whole awful cycle. When my friends invited me anywhere in the late afternoon or evening I always had a story of a prior commitment. Then I'd spend the evening at home drinking and feeling lonely.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

So glad I don’t do this anymore! I once told my boss I had been to the dentist and had a numb face after a tooth was extracted to try and cover up being drunk when working from home on a conference call, would tell the woman at the booze shop that I had had some unexpected guests arrive at my house and that is why I was returning for more wine only an hour since I was there last, or that I had done something or been somewhere at the weekend to cover up the fact I never left my house, didn’t get dressed and got drunk all weekend.

I am not a good liar and used to contradict myself by saying “I haven’t been there for years” etc in unrelated conversations when only a few weeks ago I said I had to cover up my drinking.

Life was so complicated,now it’s much much simpler xx
Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses! It is reassuring to know that others out there in the world struggle with the same sh*t. The weird thing is that we close ourselves off to the people that actually care about us....
Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
One of the hardest parts of being an alcoholic is the constant lying. When I drink, I just come up with the most needless lies. Mainly as a cover story to hide my drinking. Harmless lies like telling friends or family I am doing something I am not. For example, I am going away to a visit a friend, yet just drinking alone.

I won't remember the lie a few days later, but when asked "how was your trip?", I scramble to remember what I said and have to lie again....uuggh

By not drinking, this is not an issue for me. I don't lie anymore. Super easy to keep track of the truth as it is just is
Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes I was living a big fat lie.
Silly looking back, that was a really hard way to go about things
Old 03-18-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

The lying is the thing I think I regret the most. I lied so much, to everyone, even when I didn't need to. It became a very bad habit. No one trusted me anymore, because those lies were usually uncovered eventually. I hurt people closest to me. Some people might never forgive me. That's really painful. It was a huge source of shame for me, because it really went against my values. I really hated myself for it.

So happy I have quit lying completely now. I feel much better about myself.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I lied to my children when I said I'll only have one glass and then it's a whole bottle of wine 4 cans of beer and whatever else there was.
I lied to my partner as I would drink what was in the house and put it in the bin and replace it knowing he didnt realise it had gone.
not anymore I cant have that feeling it's too awful
Old 03-25-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Acting shocked when the vodka was watered down and blaming my sweet nephew who lived with us....