SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Wind / Rain / Thunder (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437119-wind-rain-thunder.html)

Polaroid 03-17-2019 04:18 AM

Wind / Rain / Thunder

This might be a weird topic, but does anyone else find the sounds of wind, rain & "storms" soothing?

I think this may especially apply to "active" alcoholics who's underlying issue is anxiety.

My bed is right next to a window, and I almost always keep it open. We've had some very strong wind and rain lately, and... I have never slept better. It might get a little cold, but that's what duvets and warming fans are for...

bexxed 03-17-2019 06:16 AM

I love a nice storm.

Not a hurricane, tho.

:dee

Robbie64 03-17-2019 09:22 AM

I love all what I would call "nature" sounds. I've got a box set CD collection I ordered years ago from a TV shopping channel. There's sounds of wind, rain and thunder (not too loud!) as well as the sounds of wind blowing through trees, running water in streams etc. I've always found them great to listen to when I'm trying to relax.

Polaroid 03-17-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Robbie64 (Post 7146008)
I love all what I would call "nature" sounds. I've got a box set CD collection I ordered years ago from a TV shopping channel. There's sounds of wind, rain and thunder (not too loud!) as well as the sounds of wind blowing through trees, running water in streams etc. I've always found them great to listen to when I'm trying to relax.

I've an app on my phone called "Atmosphere" or something, which I can connect to an external speaker. It has all the nature sounds under the sun.

However, it's just not the same, artifical sounds don't relax me as much as real weather that I hear outside my window.

Now the wind and rain/snow has calmed..... damnit....

MantaLady 03-17-2019 11:33 AM

In the north U.K. we have had some wild weather lately and I I find it soothing when I am indoors and all toasty. I take a hot water bottle to bed to keep my feet warm and listen to the wind and rain, I seem to fall sleep really quick too as the sounds relax me. x

CaptainHaddock 03-17-2019 11:46 AM

Thank you for raising the topic, Polaroid.

Even the worst kind of storm is soothing to me, as long as my roof and those of others don’t get blown away. I am talking gushing rain, howling winds, thunder and lightning. As long as I am somewhere safe, Mother Nature in such guise really calms me down.

lifewithart 03-17-2019 12:29 PM

Absolutely! I miss those rainy days sometimes as I now live in the tropics .

Dee74 03-17-2019 04:31 PM

I like storms too.

how are things going recovery wise Polaroid?

D

Polaroid 03-17-2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7146221)
I like storms too.

how are things going recovery wise Polaroid?

D

I don't know.

I've always considered myself creative, but cannot figure out a way to get out of this.

A detox at the hospital? I've been there FIVE times in the last 12 months. (I saw what a doctor wrote in my journal, bolded and underlined.... 'thanks' for that one)

As we have free healthcare here, I could do it any time I want. But I am so hesitant. They usually put me in a room where the sun shines right in, and in withdrawals, I get extremely sensitive to light.

Plus, the beds are so small, both width and height. At 6'3, I have to lay in like a fetal position... The footboard is so annoying, I cannot stretch my legs.

Polaroid 03-17-2019 05:31 PM

.... anyways, back to the original topic,

There's no wind or perspiration here now , it's absolutely calm (which, ironacally, makes me more anxious), albeit a little cold outside.

Darnit weather, tune it up a little...

Dee74 03-17-2019 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Polaroid (Post 7146236)
I don't know.

I've always considered myself creative, but cannot figure out a way to get out of this.

A detox at the hospital? I've been there FIVE times in the last 12 months. (I saw what a doctor wrote in my journal, bolded and underlined.... 'thanks' for that one)

As we have free healthcare here, I could do it any time I want. But I am so hesitant. They usually put me in a room where the sun shines right in, and in withdrawals, I get extremely sensitive to light.

Plus, the beds are so small, both width and height. At 6'3, I have to lay in like a fetal position... The footboard is so annoying, I cannot stretch my legs.

well the way out is to stop drinking.
Anyone has the capability to do that, creative or not :)

If you need detox, you need detox - but thats not going to keep you sober after that.

so maybe Detox + ??? = sobriety = freedom?

think about the ???
No offence, but I think it's a more important subject than the weather.

D