Notices

Day 127

Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 127

It is a wonderful thing to have sobriety become the new normal.
It reminds me of when I quit smoking. I could never imagine to be able to stop smoking. The morning routine of a coffee and a cigarette, after a meal, with the booze etc..I am 53 and remember when you could smoke on planes!!Sitting in the back rows of planes and getting drunk and smoking cigarettes, I was in paradise.

I am now heading towards 5 months of sobriety. This is my 3d attempt, the first real attempt to quit. I have fully accepted, 100% that abstinence is for me. Alcohol serves no purpose in my life whatsoever. It actually petrifies and revolts me. I can see what alcohol is and what it does. Period.
I immerse myself in my recovery. It comes first before anything else. I have learnt to be present and not worry about things. I don't dwell on the past as it is exactly that. The future is bright as long as I stay sober. I listen to recovery related podcasts most days on my commute to and from work and stay on various forums like SR to connect with people in recovery. Yes it is not peaches and cream everyday but its called life. My recent work stress issue with more work delegated to me by my boss I handled well. I was in a foul mood (would normally reached for the bottle)but had a meeting with her and it all got sorted. I was able to manage the situation with a clear head and discuss my issues logically and provide a solution to my boss. My whole work attitude has totally changed. I have not had one absent day due to "illness" since I gone sober. I actually enjoy my work where I am now a productive team player. Not the odd one who's priority was thinking of an opportunity to drink. I am actually now part of the human race again. I can clearly see how sick I was. Addiction had taken over me and I don't like who that was. I know I am early in recovery but just in these few months I have learnt so much about myself and it still surprises me how I react to various situations sober. Being around booze is not hard. Fair enough, I don't hang around pubs and clubs anymore and I don't miss it at all. Seeing people drink is just that. I don't long or feel that I am missing out on anything. Just like cigarettes.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats a great post im only on day 1 but desperate to feel how you do now,
Old 03-14-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was one day 126 days ago. ODATT.. It is worth it Tinker...Keep going
Old 03-14-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will thank you
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Huh.

So odd that I never connected smoking and drinking like that. I quit smoking around eight months ago. I guess I can do it with alcohol!

Congratulations