SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A word to the wise. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/437019-word-wise.html)

thomas11 03-13-2019 08:10 AM

A word to the wise.

I recently got back from my bucket list trip to the Philippines. Overall it was an experience I would not trade for anything. It is right up there with my fly in fishing trip to Canada. 5 out of 5 stars.

That being said, where I went was probably not the best place for someone in sobriety. It was a sleepy town where the nightlife simply revolved around socializing and drinking. I think the only thing that saved me is that there were more employees and patrons in the bar/restaurants and the employees don't drink. Most were enamored with an american and I love to story tell, so I did.

A member warned me ahead of time that as an american I'm rich, and that's just a fact. I assure you I'm not rich, but I did have enough respect for myself and the culture that I was clean shaven, fresh haircut, clean clothes and shoes with no holes in them. That is not the norm. Anyway, yes, I was treated like royalty. That was kind of interesting. In summary, as a small town guy in Midwest USA, it was well worth it to see other cultures etc...very interesting.

ScottFromWI 03-13-2019 08:17 AM

Glad you had a good experience, seeing cultures completely unike our own is a very eye-opening thing.

ChloeRose63 03-13-2019 08:36 AM

Maybe you could share some pics?!

thomas11 03-13-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 (Post 7143308)
Maybe you could share some pics?!

Much more to the story. My phone was pick pocketed.

ChloeRose63 03-13-2019 10:57 AM

So sorry to hear that:(

KeepingUp 03-13-2019 11:02 AM

Glad to hear this! I spent some time in SE Asia years ago and while I also would not trade the experience for anything, I regret how much time was spent enjoying the “nightlife” far too much. I’ve since been much more mindful about traveling sober and the trips I’ve had in recent years where I have have been so much more fulfilling! I’m glad you got to experience that amazing trip with clear vision <3 cheers to many more.

Anna 03-13-2019 11:13 AM

Ugh, sorry your phone was stolen.

It's great to know you are pushing your boundaries and checking out the world.

thomas11 03-13-2019 04:39 PM

I don't want sympathy or hotline phone numbers, but I am a whisker away from blowing myself away every god damn day.

Dee74 03-13-2019 04:48 PM

Jeff when you post like that here you're gonna get hotline numbers man.

Please think about calling them - or at least talking to someone - If n ot a hotline or a doctor or counsellor, maybe a friend?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ease-read.html

I know that you've been taught, like me, that men don't ask for, or need, help, but that's just BS man.

No one has all the answers all the time. Its not weak to ask for help - it's a strength,

D

thomas11 03-13-2019 05:00 PM

I'm spent Dee, I've done everything I want to do. Everything at this point is torture. Sad right?

Dee74 03-13-2019 05:10 PM

post misfire :)

D

Dee74 03-13-2019 05:12 PM

I've battled similar depression Jeff - I was convinced my life was done, I was thoroughly spent and I was sure to my bones nothing would ever change, much less get better.

But it did.

See a Dr, man.

You have a lot to offer and a lot of years left to live :)

I still have bad periods - chronic pain can get you down - but I know when to ask for help, mentally speaking.

John Lennon once said everything will be ok in the end - if its not ok - it's not the end...

The older I get the more true I find that quote,

D

Dee74 03-13-2019 05:36 PM

This article helped me.

https://themighty.com/2015/07/mascul...king-for-help/

Maudcat 03-13-2019 05:43 PM

Agree with Dee, Jeff.
Please see a physician. There are some good meds for depression available now.
I always enjoy your posts and look forward to seeing them.

KeepingUp 03-13-2019 06:18 PM

You just undertook a pretty incredible and exhausting feat with your trip. Traveling anywhere is tiring and shocking to the system. Traveling halfway across the world is physically, mentally and emotionally draining, even when it’s an amazing trip. It just takes it out of you. And to also be in recovery and facing that challenge away from familiar places? It’s a lot!

So please remember, if you’ve suffered with depression or anything at all before, now is definitely a time that stuff could come up. People often get sick after a big trip, because they just zap all our stores and our immune system gets a little depleted. Our mental health is no different. Be kind to yourself while you continue to get back into the groove of things.

Dee74 03-13-2019 07:16 PM

You have a lot of people in your corner Jeff.
I hope you'll thinking about getting some help tomorrow, man - you're worth the effort :)

D

entropy1964 03-14-2019 11:13 AM

Hey Jeff

What's up my friend?

I typed out this big ole post to you then...poof, its gone.

So, just wanted to say how important you are. Life is hard as hell sometimes for sure.

Please let us, your wife, your family, and professionals be there for you!

thomas11 03-14-2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7143619)
I've battled similar depression Jeff - I was convinced my life was done, I was thoroughly spent and I was sure to my bones nothing would ever change, much less get better.

But it did.

See a Dr, man.

You have a lot to offer and a lot of years left to live :)

I still have bad periods - chronic pain can get you down - but I know when to ask for help, mentally speaking.

John Lennon once said everything will be ok in the end - if its not ok - it's not the end...

The older I get the more true I find that quote,

D

Thanks for this. This post really helped bring things back into perspective. Perspective is everything, and when we lose it, we are lost.

thomas11 03-14-2019 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7143642)

Wow Dee, I felt I could have authored that article myself. I have had the exact same feelings and attitude towards "help" my entire life. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

HeadEast 03-14-2019 04:28 PM

Go see a doctor - preferably a psychiatrist or someone who specializes in mental health issues. It's the best thing I ever did.