Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Could use some hope and encouragement.. anxious as hell going on family vacation

Notices

Could use some hope and encouragement.. anxious as hell going on family vacation

Old 02-27-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cannot seem to recover from the anxiety I've been feeling this week, each day worse. I'm taking my antidepressants, it's only been a week and half on them.

I leave to go on this amazing Maui trip with my husband and teenage girls. I don't want to feel like this. It's a trip of a lifetime. I've had an amazing 7 months sober, and don't want to drink on this trip or feel like this. Any suggestions to help overcome would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes excitement feels exactly like anxiety to my body.

Maybe look at these anxious feelings as excitement?

Once you get there all the stress of getting ready for a trip will melt away. There is a lot to do and I'd imagine a lot of the work is falling on you, so it's natural to have a little anxiety mixed with excitement before a trip. That and early sobriety is just an emotional rollercoaster.

Drinking would set you back in a very bad way, so no!

I'd say that the beauty of Maui can pretty much heal anything.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow SurvivorK the healing beauty of Maui

Start to pack now if you haven't so that you are prepared and can get rest and not be packing at the last minute.

Be kind to yourself.

What helps when you have anxiety? I know it takes time for the antidepressants and can make anxiety feel worse sometimes when starting them. So you just have to not drink, and know that it takes time.

In the meantime, for me, things like calming herbal teas lemon balm, chamomile, accepting that I will do my best whatever that may be today, lavender essential oil roll on helps me (not a doctor, all of the herbal teas and essential oils are like drugs, so what works for me could harm anyone else) but they work well for me.

Print out a prayer or affirmations that help ground you and bring you comfort and recite them to yourself.

I'm sorry your'e having a hard time right now. This too shall pass. Do not throw away your hard work for a temporary feeling. Things are going to get better and you will be okay again.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The 4-7-8 breathing method
where you breathe in for 4 seconds-hold for 7 seconds-blow out for 8 seconds

Grounding techniques, close your eyes, wiggle your toes and feel them connected, rooted, to the earth or floor, picture being connected and supported by the ground and focus on how it feels to wiggle your toes. Feels great in the grass or on the beach.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can stay sober on your trip.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Sirvivpr K - the best advice I ever got was to be reassured I didn't have to drink again if I didn't want to.

I am in control of what I pour down my throat - and nothing or no one can make me do something I don't want to do.

If I say no, there's not a darn thing my AV can do about it

You;re a non drinker now.
Enjoy Hawaii

D
Old 02-27-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like to focus on the ways a sober trip varies (pleasantly) from my drinking trips of yore. So much good coffee, good sleep, actual relaxation. Sight seeing without being impatient to get back and pound drinks. Wondering if anyone else noticed how much my husband and I were drinking. The hangovers. Etc.

Maybe it will get old some day but it hasn’t yet! (I’m a year and change into it)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try the 5-4-3-2-1 exercise. This helps me with my anxiety because it seems that when you connect with your body, it grounds you.

Think of 5 things you can see,
4 things you hear,
3 things you can feel,
2 things you can smell, and
1 thing you can taste.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So when I went on my honeymoon, I didn't want drinking to be a part of that trip. For me:
  1. Itinerary. I can't go on vacations to sit poolside or beachside -- I need things to do! Museums, sight-seeing, hiking, kayaking, ziplining -- ANYTHING. Keep me busy
  2. When others are drinking, I become best friends w/ the fellow vacationing gym rats.
  3. I focus in on foods I want to try, new tastes -- new things to discover. There's so much more than booze out there. Eat the spam musubi! Get off the beaten path
Have fun. You can stay sober .
Old 02-28-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I think once you get there and start relaxing and having fun, you'll be just fine. I get super anxious before trips, also. Even if I know it's going to be fun and relaxing. I sometimes even worry that I'll want to drink while on vacation, but I also know I have complete control over that. I'm the only one who can make me drink. I really enjoy may sober vacations. I have so much more fun waking up early, exploring, meeting new people, eating new things, and seeing new things than I would drinking. And I remember everything! It's really great. Try the relaxation techniques others have suggested. Make sure you pack early and get all the little details seen to ahead of time. That should help.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you could look up AA meetings to attend during your time on Maui.

Maui is utterly amazing - you can snorkel your brains out every day. Look up Snorkel Bob and make sure to grab one of his guide books. it's hilarious and packed with locations to go that will have you traveling all over! Most of the beaches aren't well marked, so the guide book helps you locate these treasures.

Haleakala is a full day in and of itself. Catching sunrise or sunset is a life changing experience.

The road to Hana is an adventure in "recovery" itself - it's not the destination, it's the journey.

embrace it all. get ready for the adventure.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say "thank you" to all of you, from the bottom of my heart. You were all RIGHT, Maui in of itself was good for my soul. The sunrises, sunsets, snorkeling, drives, hiking, I thought about keeping myself busy like you all recommended, I focused on desserts at the end of my meal as a celebration versus drinking, I focuses on the journey versus the course I had myself on prior, I took everything you said and listened and had an amazing time with my husband and kids. So hard to be back now but feel better than when I had left. Grateful for that. Went back to AA too which was a good first step being back home. I had not gone in a while. Hugs!
Old 03-15-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome - welcome back Survivor K

D
Old 03-15-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just thinking that you might want to check with the doctor who prescribed your antidepressant....make sure it’s not the culprit.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Glad you stayed sober and had a good time.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is good

Congratulations!!!

These are good, big things to celebrate. As we see, name and hold a space of gratitude for these small individual moments of healing, health and great success, life creates a new energy within us.

Marie Kondo's books and methods help in bringing vacation/relaxation feels to every part of my life. Just as Hawaii has a great healing energy, surrounding ourselves with supportive/loved items and clearing out the physical/mental clutter of chaos brings a new element of happiness.

Learned awareness and changed environments create opportunities.